• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Rossignol Axial2 120 bindings....

deadheadskier

Staff member
http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/ou...nol-Axial2-120-Ti-Pro-Alpine-Ski-Binding.html

good choice to pair up with my new B2's for this season? Good price? I'd like to talk them down to $80 as I talked my B2's down from $240 to $220

Me, I'm a former 100 day a year aggressive skier. I'm 5'8", 190lbs. I'm slowing down a bit and only ski about twenty days a year now, but I still love to take on the most challenging terrain I can find when I'm out there. I still hit the bumps and back country as hard as I can when I've got my legs and the conditions allow it. I'm not into the park, but still go for air where I can.

Do you think this is enough binding for me to mount on the B2's where I can crank them down to 12, ski them hard and not be worried about premature releasing?

It should be fine..you won't need the DINs cranked up all the way to 12 though...that's overkill..8 to 8.5 should be fine..

deadheadskier

Staff member
It should be fine..you won't need the DINs cranked up all the way to 12 though...that's overkill..8 to 8.5 should be fine..

Perhaps

Honestly, I was probably 15 and 160 lbs the last time I skied a binding that I didn't crank down to at least 10 and even at that would have occasions when bashing bumps that I would release when I didn't want to.

I guess I'm just looking for opinions as to whether or not people think this is a durable binding that can withstand a hard charge through the bumps from someone my size.

Hawkshot99

I absolutely love the Axials. The past 2 yrs. I have had the Scratch axials, that as far as I could figure out were basically the same as those, just no lifter plate.

I never had the bindings release when I didn't want them to. No pre-ejections, When I wiped out they still came off my feet if it was a crash were I wanted them off, but otherwise stayed on.

Like I said I loved them. For a DIN, I run a 9 I think, and I weigh 240. (yea theres more to it than weight but take it for what it is)

I will have the Axial 120's this year for my new Scott's. I also have the Axial 140 on my Mutix, and feel the same about those.

The only thing that isn't great about them is releasing with your pole. They require alot of force to push down. Requires a strong pole, no noodle carbon fiber.

On the price...If you can talk them down, go for it, but that price. is awesome, cheaper than pro-form price.

koreshot

The 12 DIN axials are pretty solid. They do a great job of keeping you inside the binding at pretty low din settings. With markers and tyrolias, I have had to crank the din settings up quick a bit because I would notice a lot more prereleases, especially on choppy terrain where the ski underwent a lot of flex. The Rossi design doesn't seem to suffer from that same problem. They keep you in the binding really well and only release when they are supposed to.

I only buy Rossi/Look axials nowadays. I have 3 mounted and another two Axial 1s sitting as backups. The Salomon 912s are a nice option too but they always seem to cost a bit more.

Birdman829

If you're going to crank the DIN to 12 you should be riding 916s, P18s, Mojo 15s or some other higher DIN binding. While 12 din Rossis and Looks are solid bindings, I'd want a bit more Binding if I was going to have the DIN cranked that high. As a reference I have 912s and Tyrolia FX12s that I keep at around 9-10

Your best bet price-wise might be to find some older high DIN Salomon 997s on ebay or something.

koreshot

Look/Rossi brakes are pretty easy to bend anyways.

Actually, having bent 3 pairs of brakes on Axial and Axial 2 bindings, I can confidently say that the Salomon brakes are easier to bend. Its not like it takes a super engineering mind to bend the brakes, but they are total overkill and take some muscle (heat helps) to shape. I took pictures of my last bend job, I really should post a little How-To if I can get around to it.

Birdman829

Actually, having bent 3 pairs of brakes on Axial and Axial 2 bindings, I can confidently say that the Salomon brakes are easier to bend. Its not like it takes a super engineering mind to bend the brakes, but they are total overkill and take some muscle (heat helps) to shape. I took pictures of my last bend job, I really should post a little How-To if I can get around to it.

Yeah salomon brakes are easier, but looks/rossis are definitely second. As you said, a blowtorch will help. Tyrolias on the other hand are impossible as far as I can tell.