• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Binding risers, yay or nay?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Obviously the answer is dependent on what you want out of your skis and the type of skis you are on for that matter. My question is whether or not you use them and if so, have you noticed a significant help in carving performance?

Greg

Staff member
The point of lifters is to keep from booting out, i.e. the side of your boot making contact with the snow during a strong carve. Considering I never ski this way (and probably am not skilled enough to do so), I really don't need them. I'm having Look PX12s mounted flat on my Cabrawlers (bump ski). My AC3 have the integrated Motion binding system which have risers that are incorporated into them.

koreshot

The risers in theory help with turn initiation and all that good stuff on hard snow don't they? I say in theory cause I don't own carving skis or bindings with risers to know for sure. I can see how the added leverage would help initiate turns though.

Hawkshot99

The risers in theory help with turn initiation and all that good stuff on hard snow don't they? I say in theory cause I don't own carving skis or bindings with risers to know for sure. I can see how the added leverage would help initiate turns though.

As far as I know yes. plus the boot out.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Yay if you rip groomers and especially if you race (within regulation of course). Nay if your not a groomer charger. I had lifters when I raced and when you are seriously laying into a big turn they certainly help.

jack97

I can see how the added leverage would help initiate turns though.

Also, the added leverage helps in getter a stronger edge engagement. I have a recreational slalom k2 xr w/marker 1200 piston and volkl g3 w/ a flat mount. Big difference in height and how they turn.

Rushski

Just got some Blizzard mid-fats and was either going to go w/a slight lift in a Tyrolia freeflex plate or flat mounting. Could have gone either way, but decided to get as much difference from the feel of my RX8s that I could.

getting to be a moot point...can't add a riser to a system and most of the narrower waisted all mtn skis (mid 70s) are systems...on fatter skis you don't need them cause you're not going to boot out with a wider waist. Race skis, absolutely.