• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Algonquin Peak, NY 09/17/007

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Date(s) Hiked: September 17, 2007

Trails(s) Hiked: Blue trail to Yellow and back to Blue (Sorry, couldn’t find the names)

Total Distance: 11.5 miles Loop

Difficulty: Strenuous

Conditions: Perfect weather, some wet spots (and streams) on trails.

Special Required Equipment: Suggest a headlamp since this is a long hike and if you're not careful you may get stuck in the woods at night.

Trip Report: This was our first time in the Adirondacks and we loved the area. Initially we tried hiking this trail on Saturday when it rained most of the day, bad idea. There are plenty of rocks and it gets slippery. We did get in 7 miles on Saturday before turning back, so it was a nice warm up for this hike.

We started at 9am at the Adirondack Lodge near Heart Lake. The hike started nice and easy. At first I was concerned that we were going the wrong way since the first part of this trail was a bit of a downhill. For those not familiar with it, Algonquin is NY's second highest peak at 5115 feet. Wasn't long before the trail flattened out and then started going up hill. This is a very well maintained trail going up to Algonquin Peak. Before reaching Algonquin, you pass Wright Peak, the trail to Wright was fairly easy most of the way, then a short distance before
Wright you reach some good size rocks the required a scramble, nothing to bad though. Once we got past Wright, the trail got a bit tougher; it turned into mostly steep granite slabs (not something to do in the rain) and rocks. Once on top of Algonquin we were rewarded with some magnificent views of Whiteface, Lake Placid, Mt. Marcy, and the Adirondack Park, what a vast terrain of mountains this is. Also found some ice on top of Algonquin, pretty cool for someone that’s jonesing for winter!

We hung out on top of Algonquin for about an 45 minutes, took in the views, ate some, and relaxed before continuing on. Avalanche Lake and Pass seemed like a nice alternative to tracing our steps back, I always prefer a loop. It was a bit tough but by no means disappointing. Coming down Algonquin we found nothing but nice wide slabs on granite, steep but not at all too tough. We turned off that trail and onto the trail that would take us down to Avalanche Lake. Here we found a steep trail of rocks that was very narrow and continued on for close to two miles. There were parts were it got wider this was areas where there were streams and waterfalls J We crossed these a few times as the trail zigged zagged across the water, down the stream and in places the stream just ran down the trail.

Eventually were got to Avalanche Lake and were rewarded with some really beautiful scenery. A very tranquil lake with cliffs on either side. By now you would figure that we’re down at the bottom hiking back to the trailhead and that it would be nice and easy going back. Oh no, not on this hike. Here you hit some nice big boulders with ladders, steps and wooden walkways all along the lake. After the lake, you get to Avalanche Pass. Seems it got it’s name from trees falling off the cliffs. There had to be a good 20-30 foot pile of trees going into this pass. After that the trail did flatten a bit and thank God for that, Vee looked like she was ready to kill me, she’s a real trooper but not used to this kind of hike.

We started this hike at 9am and finished at 7:45pm, sunset was 7:05. It gets a little scary being stuck in the woods at night with no light and a partner that’s complaining that she tired and hurting. I just got done ordering a couple of headlamps on Amazon.com, we’ll be more prepared when we go again in two weeks. It was tough but we loved it. Vee said, it’s not for her, last time she’s doing that hike. Last night she was already agreeing to the next trip, damn, I love that gal! Here’s some pics and more can be found at: http://killingtonaccessrd.com/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=99

Algonquin is the highest peak in this pic, that's Wright Peak in front of it:

normal_P9170143.JPG

A small watefall along the way:

normal_P9170160.JPG

Me:

normal_P9170197.JPG

Looking at Iroquois Peak:

normal_P9170215.JPG

Trail coming down:

normal_P9170221.JPG

Greg

Staff member
Sweet Andy! Algonquin is an impressive peak. It's been probably 10+ years since I hiked the ADKs, but I remember being impressed with the view of Algonquin from Indian Falls.

ComeBackMudPuddles

Looks like you had a perfect day! Nice shots and good report. Thanks. Glad you liked the hike. Just 44 to go, and you'll be a 46er.

cbcbd

Sweet hike... but you passed Wright and didn't go up? One of the windiest peaks around.

D'oh!! ;)

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Sweet hike... but you passed Wright and didn't go up? One of the windiest peaks around.

D'oh!! ;)

This was our first time there and I wasn't familiar with the terrain, we made it down 40 minutes after sunset as it is. :) I ordered headlamps on Amazon.com and we'll be better prepared next time ;)

adamti91

It's an awesome view, Wright is the windiest peak in the ADK's (right?), and the crashed plane there is cool to check out. Did you take the herd path to Iroquois?

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
It's an awesome view, Wright is the windiest peak in the ADK's (right?), and the crashed plane there is cool to check out. Did you take the herd path to Iroquois?

No, just made the left to Avalanche Lake. Once again, first time there, I'm a bit slow, wife is even slower, didn't want to push our luck, this hike was plenty for us. Perhaps next time we'll hike Wright-Algonquin-Iroqois. But then It'll suck missing Avalanche pass, don't think we can do it all in one day. :(

adamti91

Avalanche Pass.... haha bad memories. Hiking out of Colden Lake at 10 at night, 4 inches of rain in two hours, no iodine for water, 40 degrees in the middle of summer. Cool place though, haha.