• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Incorrect password?

Lostone

I now have three messages in my email inbox with new passwords.

That is because my password never works!

Thing is, I don't type it. I copy and paste it. But the forum tells me that it is incorrect. Then I tell it I forgot it, it sends me another, and I use that to log in.

Really! This is too much trouble! :angry:

Anyone else have this problem? I now have two machines (different passwords) that are supposed to log me in each time. Not sure whether or not they will.

I really don't like to do that with two of my machines, as I might not be the only one around that machine. :blink:

Greg

Staff member
Lostone said:
Thing is, I don't type it. I copy and paste it. But the forum tells me that it is incorrect.
Be careful copying/pasting. Often times when you highlight, you'll grab an extra space after the text. Did you try just typing it?

Lostone

What I meant by 2 machines different passwords...

is that I had logged in on this machine (work) and clicked the Remember me box. Then I went home and tried to log in with the same password. But the forum said it was an incorrect password.

Then I told it I forgot and got a different one, and logged in on that one, with that password. I also clicked the Remember Me box there.

In theory, both should have remembered me, but when I got back here... You guessed it. I had to log in again. This time, I used the last password you'd sent. (In the past I'd been going into my profile and changing it to the same one that I have in a Word file.)

It almost accepted the password. It didn't say that it was incorrect, but still had the Log In option on the top. When I tried to reply, it led me to the Login Screen. I entered the same info and this time it fully accepted the login.

As to copy and pasting... I'm on about 6 forums and do the same thing. I'm very careful how I highlight.

The possible odd thing about my systems is that I use Mozilla... But I use it on all the other boards, too.

Greg

Staff member
It doesn't surprise me that you weren't able to log in at that second location after changing your password despite checking the "Remember Me" box. All that does is set a cookie that passes an encrypted version of your login details (username and password) automatically. If the password changed since the cookie was set, you'll need to log in again which will update it. Once you get logged in successfully, go to your Profile and change the password to whatever you want. Once you get it permenantly set, and log into the forums from both locations with "remember Me" checked, it should be fine. If you continue to have problems send me a PM or Email at contact@alpinezone.com. Hope this helps!

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Hmm. I'm not sure which cookie it is from forums.alpinezone.com that handles the "remember me" information. However, the behavior I would expect is that if I logged in from one location, then went to a new location and changed my password, the first location would no longer work without logging in there again with the new password.

Greg, can you confirm or deny?

Greg

Staff member
MichaelJ said:
Hmm. I'm not sure which cookie it is from forums.alpinezone.com that handles the "remember me" information. However, the behavior I would expect is that if I logged in from one location, then went to a new location and changed my password, the first location would no longer work without logging in there again with the new password.
Correct. Again, the cookie contains the encrypted version of your username and password. If the password is changed, the password info in the cookie becomes obselete and needs to be updated.

Lostone

I know of another forum of the BBcode type, where ...

the info it keeps doesn't seem to contain the password. That is because I did get to my Vermont machine and find I didn't remember the passwork and had to change it. The work machine never knew the password, but I was still logged in, there.

As for changing the password in the Profile, that is what I have been doing, but it has kept logging me out. Now that things are working with the one that I've been sent, I'll keep it until I get dumped again. I'm skeered to change it! :cry: :lol:

Greg

Staff member
Re: I know of another forum of the BBcode type, where ...

Lostone said:
the info it keeps doesn't seem to contain the password.
It's encrypted in the cookie as it is in the database. Once you get both machines logging in and cookied, it should work fine.

Lostone

I was afraid this would happen with that post...

The post subject is almost hidden on this board. The line you quoted is the second line, continuing from the subject line. The two together make a complete thought.

Hopefully, things will all be ok, now. If not, I'll let you know. :wink:

Greg

Staff member
Re: I was afraid this would happen with that post...

Lostone said:
The post subject is almost hidden on this board. The line you quoted is the second line, continuing from the subject line. The two together make a complete thought.
Sorry. I missed that. I rarely refer to the subject lines of individual posts; just topics. I should really retrain myself there.

Lostone

Not a problem. I noticed after posting that the subject line isn't very prominent.

I'll de-emphasize my use of the subject line.

Besides, I might be able to hide some neat comments there. :evil: :lol: