• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Advice on First set of skis

johnnyman

This will be my second season skiiing, mostly day trips and a few days in Vermont, probably about 10-12 days total. By the end of last season I was out of the wedge, and turning pretty well, even getting down our first blues (though I'm likely to stay on mostly greens this season).
I had been considering The Rossi Actys 100or the Salomon X-Wing 4. My local ski shop recommended the Rossi Actys 200, based upon my size as well as the fact that I'd probably ski out of the 100's pretty soon. Having not started skiing until age 42 and I'm only getting out a certain number of days a year, I don't expect my skill level to increase all that quickly. I do trust this shop, but I really want to make sure I don't get a ski that is too advanced for me.

Any advice is appreciated

Hawkshot99

Only have knowledge on the Rossi's for you.

You would be able to ski either ski no problem now. the 100 will be a bit easier for you now. It is a softer ski, and more forgiving. Your basic beginner ski. The 200 is stiffer, and made for a more skilled person, but not a huge jump over the 100.
Since you said you will only get out a few times a year, you need to decide will you get out often enough to advance to were you will want the little bit better 200, or if the little bit of ease of use will help you get better faster.

I have skied both models at demo days. I am 5'11" 250, and skied both pairs real hard for what they were designed. As I pushed it harder the 100 was chattering and I could feel it's downfalls. But this was using it for ways it was not designed.

Personally I would get the 200. While both will perform very good for you, you said you have skied 10+ times, and are turning pretty well. So give up that slight amount of forgiveness the 100 has and have a ski that will last with you longer.

my .02 :lol:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
If you are just coming out of the wedge and developing into the lower intermediate slot of progression, you are probably not going to notice a huge difference between different brands of skis. The more you progress, the more differences you will notice between skis, but you really won't notice much difference until you are solidly on your way to being able to always parallel well. Given you do not expect to increase ability quickly and don't plan to get out a lot of days (more days = quicker progression, especially with lessons) then I wouldn't over shoot your ability too much by planning to "grow into" something very much above your ability. Given all this, I usually recommend a package deal and going with a reasonably priced gear package from your local and hopefully trust worthy shop.

ajl50

try lots of brands as you improve. Don't buy one pair yet. You'll come to like the way 1 brand feels better than another brand. Once you know that then you can start to look at entry level skis in that line.

hammer

Related question...for a novice/intermediate, how long should the first set of skis last? I'm curious on how long it would take to "outgrow" a pair of intermediate skis...

Greg

Staff member
Related question...for a novice/intermediate, how long should the first set of skis last? I'm curious on how long it would take to "outgrow" a pair of intermediate skis...

Probably varies by skier. I would look at it more in terms of number of days, not number of seasons. Even then, it really depends on your progression. Once you acheive visible upper lower body separation (quiet upper body consistently facing down the fall line), you're in the advanced category.

dl

Website
www.orbtialskiing.com
Spend your money on good boots and demo skis for the rest of the season. Buy skis at the end of the season (demos are a good deal). If you switch boots and skis all the time, you'll never figure out which is working for you. Also, you won't have a good day testing skis if your boots don't fit. Get them right and then deal with the skis.

Grassi21

If you are just coming out of the wedge and developing into the lower intermediate slot of progression, you are probably not going to notice a huge difference between different brands of skis. The more you progress, the more differences you will notice between skis, but you really won't notice much difference until you are solidly on your way to being able to always parallel well. Given you do not expect to increase ability quickly and don't plan to get out a lot of days (more days = quicker progression, especially with lessons) then I wouldn't over shoot your ability too much by planning to "grow into" something very much above your ability. Given all this, I usually recommend a package deal and going with a reasonably priced gear package from your local and hopefully trust worthy shop.

so true. i was riding the lift one day with Greg and i was rambling on about wanting new skis. at one point in the conversation i had the same realization that river mentioned. i didn't (and still don't) know enough to know which skis would be best for me. i skied rentals for my first 2 seasons. last year i had new boots with custom footbeds and an intermediate ski (Head C220i). i'm looking to get another season out of these boards and then start demoing like crazy to find my next pair.

i would also agree with dl. spend the money on well fitted boots now and demo as much as possible. as your skills progress and you accumulate knowledge on different types of skis you demo you will figure out what type of ski (and terrain ie groomers, bumps, trees etc) you like best.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Grassi brings up a good point I did not hit on... don't skimp on the boots. Get something that fits and is comfortable and get them personally fitted to your body via a boot fitter and a custom foot bed isn't a bad idea. Intermediate gear is cheap enough so the foot bed and good fitting boot will do more for your progression than worrying about which lower level intermediate ski you buy. At the least, you will be more comfortable skiing. At best, you will progress quicker if your body picks up things quicker because of better alignment and posture which so heavily effect turning.

bigbog

....Hey there....

Johnnyman,
Welcome....don't feel like an outsider. Was in my early 30s when I started...but I never enjoyed it more than today... My $.01 would be to hit the demo days and try some intermediate skis in the right length...relax and take your time with them...not trying to do every bump run on the mountain in 15min.

$.01

Last edited: