• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Marker Duke vs. Alpine Trekker

Grassi21

Depends how you want to approach it... piece meal slowly (more expensive in the long run often times but rather cheap in the short run) or just sinking money into the whole thing. As an absolute minimum, you need a releasable heel, skins, telescoping poles, a pack, and layers. Trekkers are a short term cheap purchase but most people usually discard them eventually so it is more expensive to buy trekkers in the long run. You can get bindings that work with alpine boots (which I did for my first earned turn season) but doing so may limit you long term (e.g. I might be interested in Dynafit now that I am more experienced). Skins, get the good stuff and pay lots, don't skimp. Touring poles are about $60ish for something decent. Pack and layers depends on what you have. I would suggest a bare minimum of a $500 investment if you use alpine boots and deal hunt though you are probably looking at more.

I have some of the cheaper stuff covered (pair of indigo - epics poles that i got for $50 on SAC, pack, and layers). So that leaves skins and binding. I'd have to upgrade skis as well. Right now I have just 67 underfoot.

Any models of bindings or skins should I research?

Thanks for the info guys.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
If you are planning on using Alpine boot instead of buying AT boots you would be limited to the Naxo, Freeride, and Duke (I think the Pure is Alpine compatible too, but don't quote me). If you want to buy touring boots, you can look at lower end fritschi's and dynafits amongst a few others. You don't "need" to upgrade you skis. There certainly is not "minimum" width ski to have for touring. Though most touring rigs generally lean between the mid-fat to lower-fat range in the east. Skins you are looking at $130+. Don't skimp, G3 or BD's top end only.

awf170

If you are planning on using Alpine boot instead of buying AT boots you would be limited to the Naxo, Freeride, and Duke (I think the Pure is Alpine compatible too, but don't quote me). If you want to buy touring boots, you can look at lower end fritschi's and dynafits amongst a few others. You don't "need" to upgrade you skis. There certainly is not "minimum" width ski to have for touring. Though most touring rigs generally lean between the mid-fat to lower-fat range in the east. Skins you are looking at $130+. Don't skimp, G3 or BD's top end only.

I'm pretty sure lower end Fritschi work just fine with alpine boots. Also, have you ever used a lower end skin? Everyone always says go for edge to edge coverage, but I don't see that huge of a difference. I have never used anything but edge to edge coverage, but have skied with some one who only had skinny kicker skins, and I was only able to skin slightly further before boot-packing. To me it didn't look like that huge of a difference. (I'm probably one the worst skinners ever though. So keep that in mind.) My guess is that a straight 60mm skin would be fine on most stuff you plan on doing. (Check ebay and TGR, you can get them quite cheap. I just got a pair for $20) Just my pretty uniformed opinion on this matter.

Also, I find adjustable poles to be pretty useless. I don't think I adjusted them in my past 5 or so tours. Though some people swear by them, all personal preference I guess.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I would be more concerned about the glue, durability, and maximum angle due to quality of skin. When I say don't skimp, I mean don't skimp within your desired width size. I would never not go wall to wall, I am too aggressive in my approaches for anything less.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I'm pretty sure lower end Fritschi work just fine with alpine boots. Also, have you ever used a lower end skin? Everyone always says go for edge to edge coverage, but I don't see that huge of a difference. I have never used anything but edge to edge coverage, but have skied with some one who only had skinny kicker skins, and I was only able to skin slightly further before boot-packing. To me it didn't look like that huge of a difference. (I'm probably one the worst skinners ever though. So keep that in mind.) My guess is that a straight 60mm skin would be fine on most stuff you plan on doing. (Check ebay and TGR, you can get them quite cheap. I just got a pair for $20) Just my pretty uniformed opinion on this matter.

Yes, because on steep stuff, I've never seen you slip backwards at all or anything... :dunce:

Well, like Austin said, skin width is only one element determining the friction your skin produces, but the big step up in traction, I have a feeling, probably comes with the use of ski crampons. Something I'd like to add to my gear choice.

Also, I find adjustable poles to be pretty useless. I don't think I adjusted them in my past 5 or so tours. Though some people swear by them, all personal preference I guess.

YES. I know I'm influencing you towards the duct tape grips! You know you want them!

SkiDog

Yes, because on steep stuff, I've never seen you slip backwards at all or anything...

I think the most important part that needs to be edge to edge is underfoot.....thats where the most pressure is going to be...

just my $.02

M

Hawkshot99

Well even though I wanted the Marker Dukes, I don't think I will be getting them. Our shop had to special order a pair for a customer and it will be December before they are in according to Marker:blink:. That wont work for me, so it will most likely be the Axials for me.:angry:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
You don't have another pair to use until December? Think long term here, man... if the Duke is what you want then go for the Duke. Especially if you want something to enable you to do touring because you are just going to end up buying an AT binding eventually any ways if that is your ultimate goal.

Hawkshot99

You don't have another pair to use until December? Think long term here, man... if the Duke is what you want then go for the Duke. Especially if you want something to enable you to do touring because you are just going to end up buying an AT binding eventually any ways if that is your ultimate goal.

I do have my race skis. Ill see if it is even on the proform. Marker may not put it there if they are all sold for full price.