• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Marker Duke vs. Alpine Trekker

Hawkshot99

I need to get some new bindings for this year. i plan on doing some light touring with the setup I get, but mostly on pist. Like 90% trails I would say.

The two option I have considered are another pair of Axial(I really like them). I know these will handle great for the trail days. With the axials get a pair of Alpine trekkers and bring them with me on the days that I plan to ski away from the mountain. From what i have read these will work well for what I want to do with them.(Not true touring, but some skinning.)

The other option I ave is the new Marker Duke. A real tough version of a AT binding. Too heavy for true touring, but much stronger. This option would save me from having to carry the trekkers in my pack and having to install/uninstall them. My only concern is if they will hold up to all the trail skiing. They seem pretty strong, and from what i have read they are strong, but......

I know the axial will be awesome for everything, have had a few pairs. The Trekkers will be good for the light AT trips, and be transferable between skis, But require packing them around and cost me more. The markers will save weight and be cool, but are they strong enough?

Price wise the Markers would most likely be a cheaper route. I don't know specifics but I'm guessing much cheaper

Marker Duke

Alpine Trekker

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
If you plan on getting new bindings this year, you can rule out the Marker Duke. I hear its already sold out. The Dukes are more on piste binding than tour binding and lean more towards sidecountry with minimal touring. You need to step out of the binding completely to switch gears unlike other rando bindings. The trekkers will cost you a lot less than the marker dukes unless you plan to upgrade to full AT eventually. I am curious why you think the Marker Duke would be the cheaper option. You got a line on something? What is your intended use? If it is mostly just sidecountry and no more than a few hundred feet of uphill at a time, just get the trekkers which is not a suggestion I make very often.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
If you plan on getting new bindings this year, you can rule out the Marker Duke. I hear its already sold out. The Dukes are more on piste binding than tour binding and lean more towards sidecountry with minimal touring. You need to step out of the binding completely to switch gears unlike other rando bindings. The trekkers will cost you a lot less than the marker dukes unless you plan to upgrade to full AT eventually. I am curious why you think the Marker Duke would be the cheaper option. You got a line on something? What is your intended use? If it is mostly just sidecountry and no more than a few hundred feet of uphill at a time, just get the trekkers which is not a suggestion I make very often.

The man knows what he's talking about.

The Dukes aren't sold out....Marker may be sold out, but there are plenty left in the retail pipeline. You're comparing the cost of Axials and trekkers to the cost of the Duke I'm guessing. I'd say go for the duke...trekkers are a much bigger pain in the ass than having to step out of the duke to switch to AT mode...you'd have to step out, pull the trekkers out of your pack, snap them in, then step into them and be an inch and a half higher and a couple of pounds heavier...much more of a pain in the ass than the duke. You're gonna have to put your skins on anyway...haven't seen too many people able to do that while keeping their skis on. Plus the duke is wider at the base and has a narrower mounting point than the new Axials...and skis very well on the hardpack...you already said you're not looking to do a ton of touring...so the minimal hassle factor of the duke shouldn't deter you. Its strong enough...at least appears to be a burly binding...and 6-16 din is a good indication. Trekkers suck, do the duke.

wa-loaf

I am curious why you think the Marker Duke would be the cheaper option.

Marker duke vs. New Bindings + Alpine Trekkers. Probably come out about even. I think he works in a shop and can get pro-form on some of these, so his costs might be different.

SkiDog

Check the clearance on trekkers with those axials...I believe the axials are a look binder with a high back...when I used with Trekkers (look p12's) it was difficult..

I'd say that unless you're dropping bombers in the BC (like 20ft plus) you'd be fine with any of the other randonee binders out there. Naxo nx21, Fritschi Freerides, dynafit's, etc...you can usually find deals on slightly used ones here and there...keep an eye out. I'd say though go with touring binders not trekkers you'll tire of trekkers quickly.

M

Hawkshot99

Marker duke vs. New Bindings + Alpine Trekkers. Probably come out about even. I think he works in a shop and can get pro-form on some of these, so his costs might be different.

Yes I do. Can Proform on either the Axial or Duke, but still need to pay full price for the trekkers on top of the axials.

It will be a side country setup, not full on touring. Couple hundred feet.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Ah, I missed that part, must have read too fast. If you are going to buy a whole new binding in addition to the trekkers, probably better just to go with something like the Duke. Nx21 would be a slightly less beefier option if you can't get the Duke though for primarily on piste, I much prefer an alpine binding which probably indicates you should go for the Duke if you can get it, especially on a pro form.

lloyd braun

I would say go with the Duke. It will be fine for on piste. The only draw back to the duke, nx21, freeride, etc is that they create a flat spot on the ski. It will make your ski seem longer, keep that in mind.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I would say go with the Duke. It will be fine for on piste. The only draw back to the duke, nx21, freeride, etc is that they create a flat spot on the ski. It will make your ski seem longer, keep that in mind.

Don't all bindings without a floating heel piece do that, regardless of whether they're AT or alpine?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I find that the height of the binding off the ski enhances that flat spot that llyod braun mentions. I have identical skis with P12s and Freerides and the P12 ski definitely gives me better feed back and reaction though I think most skiers wouldn't notice too much difference. It would be nice to have a lower stack height but seems like designers can't get around the pivot point without the higher stack.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I find that the height of the binding off the ski enhances that flat spot that llyod braun mentions. I have identical skis with P12s and Freerides and the P12 ski definitely gives me better feed back and reaction though I think most skiers wouldn't notice too much difference. It would be nice to have a lower stack height but seems like designers can't get around the pivot point without the higher stack.

Uh oh, you sound dangerously close to going Dynafit on us... well it's ok. That's what John Tierney skis (with his beautiful BD Havoc's). So they can't be all bad.

Grassi21

On average, what would a decent touring set-up cost? Down the line I hope to be hitting the same type of terrain Hawkshot described. I know there are a few BC type threads on here but I'm too lazy to do a search. I guess the short shopping list would include bindings and skis. Beyond that what else, boots ?????

SkiDog

On average, what would a decent touring set-up cost? Down the line I hope to be hitting the same type of terrain Hawkshot described. I know there are a few BC type threads on here but I'm too lazy to do a search. I guess the short shopping list would include bindings and skis. Beyond that what else, boots ?????

Large freerides on sale at bdel.com for $250 or something I think NEW...

You can usually troll websites for deals on used... think TGR....I just picked up a pair 3rd pair of naxo nx 01's for $125 off tgr..

M

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Large freerides on sale at bdel.com for $250 or something I think NEW...

You can usually troll websites for deals on used... think TGR....I just picked up a pair 3rd pair of naxo nx 01's for $125 off tgr..

M

I bought mine off a dude at TGR too... NIB Freerides, 2 years old, $200. He was local too so I just picked them up in person.

SkiDog

I bought mine off a dude at TGR too... NIB Freerides, 2 years old, $200. He was local too so I just picked them up in person.

TGR got the deals YO...if you can put up with the "noise" level on that board there are good deals to be had AND great information.

M

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Depends how you want to approach it... piece meal slowly (more expensive in the long run often times but rather cheap in the short run) or just sinking money into the whole thing. As an absolute minimum, you need a releasable heel, skins, telescoping poles, a pack, and layers. Trekkers are a short term cheap purchase but most people usually discard them eventually so it is more expensive to buy trekkers in the long run. You can get bindings that work with alpine boots (which I did for my first earned turn season) but doing so may limit you long term (e.g. I might be interested in Dynafit now that I am more experienced). Skins, get the good stuff and pay lots, don't skimp. Touring poles are about $60ish for something decent. Pack and layers depends on what you have. I would suggest a bare minimum of a $500 investment if you use alpine boots and deal hunt though you are probably looking at more.