• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

176 or 179?

twinplanx

A friend out west picked up two pairs of public enemy's, I believe they were used a few times as demo skis. I have seen picture and they do seem to be in mint condition. The longer may have been used slightly less. My question is will I notice the 3cm difference? The first set of skis I bought for myself(1990) where 190cm, so I still tend to lean toward a longer ski. I know that skis have become shorter these days for good reason. I'm 5'10" and about 180lbs and would say an advanced skier usually looking for some kind of sidecountry excursion. I was originally going to opt for the longer but after sleeping on it I'm having second thoughts. Any advice? =$:blink:

PEs come in 174 and 179...not 176. His Steezyness is right though, twins ski shorter...but K2s ski longer...all depends on how the mfu measures their skis. I've got 181 K2s that are longer and have more running length than my 184 Volkls. Also depends on your height, weight and turn shape you prefer.

Hawkshot99

I had the 174 PE and could ski the 179 no problem. If you are looking for going off to find some pwder get the 179.

twinplanx

Thanks guys, I feel a liittle more comfortable w/ my original choice now:daffy:
I'll have to get around to posting a trip report one day to let you know how they worked out:snow:

twinplanx

Hey Here it is... Just want to thank all who chimed in back when. These are fantastic and as stated the "extra" length is no issue. One bonus to the twin-tip thats over-looked is the "rooster-tail" they kick up:p Keeps those annoying folks from following to close ...wondering when we eventually clash:snow:
Oh yeah my first attempt at a TR last week "more gore" ...feel free to post comments on how lame:(

Last edited:
A friend out west picked up two pairs of public enemy's, I believe they were used a few times as demo skis. I have seen picture and they do seem to be in mint condition. The longer may have been used slightly less. My question is will I notice the 3cm difference? The first set of skis I bought for myself(1990) where 190cm, so I still tend to lean toward a longer ski. I know that skis have become shorter these days for good reason. I'm 5'10" and about 180lbs and would say an advanced skier usually looking for some kind of sidecountry excursion. I was originally going to opt for the longer but after sleeping on it I'm having second thoughts. Any advice? =$:blink:

179s for sure..

I love kicking up the rooser tail with my 200 pound frame..especially when I cut right in front of ski patrollers and annoying raceteam kids..