• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski News Section

Would AlpineZone.com benefit from a "Ski News" section?

• Yes, and I can contribute material.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but I cannot contribute material.

• No, FTO and SJ are enough.

• Not sure.

• Total voters

Greg

Staff member
I've been thinking about this for some time. Do you think there's a need for a "Ski News" section here on AZ? We already have FirstTracksOnline and SnowJournal which seem to fill this niche pretty well, but perhaps a focus on Northeast skiing would be useful? Would anyone here like to contribute articles or conduct interviews?

teachski

Website
teachski.com
It would be nice to have a place where people can contribute news items and related articles about the area. It used to be that another website accepted news from people and published it giving them credit for their contribution (sometimes a byline, other times a thanks for the contribution of others). It seems now that the people who run this site (the other one, not Alpinezone) are more interested in other things and not much news is posted.

For about a year before they lost interest, contributions and tips were rarely recognized. About a year ago, I sent several items to that site including a tip that a new publication slated to hit the press in the spring of '04 that folded before it got off the ground and information. I also sent information I received about the death of Hans Thorner and inquiries that "The Message of the Week" made to me regarding information and pictures I had on my site that they wanted to use for their publication about his death. Those that were published are credited to the owner of the site or their newsdesk (They were reworded).

It would be GREAT to have a place to contribute again.

Greg

Staff member
teachski said:
It would be nice to have a place where people can contribute news items and related articles about the area. It used to be that another website accepted news from people and published it giving them credit for their contribution (sometimes a byline, other times a thanks for the contribution of others). It seems now that the people who run this site (the other one, not Alpinezone) are more interested in other things and not much news is posted.

For about a year before they lost interest, contributions and tips were rarely recognized. About a year ago, I sent several items to that site including a tip that a new publication slated to hit the press in the spring of '04 that folded before it got off the ground and information. I also sent information I received about the death of Hans Thorner and inquiries that "The Message of the Week" made to me regarding information and pictures I had on my site that they wanted to use for their publication about his death. Those that were published are credited to the owner of the site or their newsdesk (They were reworded).
Please. Let's not use this thread as a way to vent or criticize other sites. The point here is to discuss whether or not an online Northeast-specific ski news source would be useful.

Greg

Staff member
I've thought of a way to easily set this up. I could create a "Ski News and Features" forum. I could set the permissions in this forum to allow posting by a certain Usergroup comprised of forum members that would like to contribute an article or story. Once I approve submission of an article, I'll have the member post it in this forum. I also set up a ski news "portal" page that will display the recent articles/features. I can also add a "Headlines" list to the left border of all non-forum AZ pages which displays recent articles similar to the "Recent Discussions" list now does. The permissions on this forum would allow replies so that any AZ member could comment on an article. I will work with the ski area communication folks to forward me press releases regarding happenings at their Northeast ski area. These press releases would comprise the bulk of the articles. Thoughts?

teachski

Website
teachski.com
There are other relavant articles that have to do with the ski industry that would not be in press releases from ski areas. There are also a couple smaller areas that do not have "official" press releases which could also benefit from posting on your site.

I know of a person who is in the fitness industry and works specifically with ski fitness who has written some articles. Articles of this type may also be of interest to your readers.

Greg

Staff member
teachski said:
There are other relavant articles that have to do with the ski industry that would not be in press releases from ski areas. There are also a couple smaller areas that do not have "official" press releases which could also benefit from posting on your site.

I know of a person who is in the fitness industry and works specifically with ski fitness who has written some articles. Articles of this type may also be of interest to your readers.
Agreed. An "official" press release wouldn't be a prerequisite. Smaller ski area reps could certainly just Email me something they'd like posted...

Greg

Staff member
Just a quick update. The portal is coming along nicely and I should be ready to begin posting articles and features soon. I've received a few submissions already. If anyone is interested in submitting a featured article, please PM me.

Greg

Staff member
Some of you have had a sneak peak of this portal system. I think it's pretty cool and I will be launching it tomorrow! I decided to not limit it to just our topic of skiing, so anyone interested in submitting a hiking-related article is welcome to do so. Look for an announcement tomorrow...

L

Lisamarie

Hi folks! I've lived in the Northeast for most of my life, but I recently moved to Summit County CO. Hope I'm not personna non grata here. Please don't hate me! :(

I am a ski-fitness writer. and I'd love to contribute material on this topic. I promise I will make it for skiers in general, and I won't make it Colorado-centric. :wink:

BTW, it snowed last night. Looking out my window, the mountains are all white! OPPS! SORRY! :p

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Lisamarie said:
Hi folks! I've lived in the Northeast for most of my life, but I recently moved to Summit County CO. Hope I'm not personna non grata here. Please don't hate me! :(

I am a ski-fitness writer. and I'd love to contribute material on this topic. I promise I will make it for skiers in general, and I won't make it Colorado-centric. :wink:

BTW, it snowed last night. Looking out my window, the mountains are all white! OPPS! SORRY! :p
LM, I mentioned you in a post I made above, not by name though.
Welcome!