• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

campfire questions?

danny p

I'm going camping this weekend on a site that requires me to build my fire up off the ground so the grounds of this place won't be damaged. I'm wondering if there is certain rock/stone that can be used for this or will they crack and/or explode? I know to avoid flaky rocks like shale and any rocks that seem like they may have moisture in them, but don't know much more than that. If not, do they make fire bricks that are affordable and can be used for this kind of situation? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Euler

Smokey Joe

If weight/space is not a problem, you could bring along the bottom of a mini kettle grill. I've done this when canoeing into places that discourage ground fires.

danny p

thanks for the advice euler. Space isn't an issue but didn't want get stuck buying something for the one time I camp out where I can't dig a pit. However, it may be my only option.