• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Camels Hump - October 9, 2004

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Date(s) Hiked:
October 9, 2004

Trails(s) Hiked:
Monroe Trail, Long Trail

Total Distance:
6.8 miles RT, 1800' elevation gain

Difficulty:
Easy

Conditions:
Grey skies, gorgeous foliage, blustery winds, chilly but not cold

Special Required Equipment:
Camera

Trip Report:
What? I don't have to be ready until 6:30 in the morning? That's sleeping in! And it's only 1,800' of elevation gain? All I can say is that I'm glad I did New Hampshire first, because it makes hiking in Vermont seem so easy! This trip to Camel's Hump would be the easiest 4K hike I've been on, and thanks to the magnificent foliage on the naturally beautiful terrain of the Green Mountains, one of the best.

Alpinista, AMSTony, and I rode up I-89 on our way to Waterbury, VT, through some areas of grey before the fog vanished, leaving behind high clouds but relatively clear views beneath. Once again, the rolling hills and winding valleys alongside the highway enraptured me. It's too bad our directions weren't perfect - the new 4th edition of Jared Gange's "Hiker's Guide to the Mountains of Vermont" contains an error. The immediate right after turning onto Rte 100 is signed as Main Street. You must take this right, and then from there turn right again onto River Road. Fortunately, we only lost about ten minutes and it was still an interesting drive past such prominent landmarks as "Lots-o-Balls Golf".

The upper parking lot for the Monroe Trail was full, but there was plenty of room in the lower lot. Of course, 6 more cars showed up just while we were getting our gear together. I would later count on the register 70 people (including a group of 9 and a group of 11) ahead of us on the trail. We paused to mock the privy, whose sign made sure you knew that "urinate" means "pee", then, at 10:55am, we started up the trail under cloudy skies in the upper 60's.

The Monroe Trail was deceivingly difficult for me. It's a very moderate trail, rising evenly and without steps. This meant it was pulling at my calves with each stride and left me gasping in pain. I prefer flat trails or steps, but a smooth rise stretches my legs in a way they just don't like. It took until the first junction, with the Dean Trail, to work out the cramping. It didn't matter, though, because my thoughts were on everything around me. The trail was littered with leaves of all shades. The trees were full of muted reds and bright yellows and golds. For a grey day it was remarkably full of color and crackle. We approached and switchbacked in front of some massively imposing cliffs, a spectacle in their own right. This route was the epitome of a walk in the woods, and every moment of just being out was sheer pleasure.

Even for a trail that's not considered difficult, we made great time, arriving at the junction with the Alpine Trail, 2.5 miles in, after only 90 minutes. Here the trail changes character and becomes a little more familiar as it wound up and around, until arriving at the clearing where the Long Trail comes through. We met Alethea, a Green Mountain Club steward with a "pack" full of rocks destined for scree walls at the summit, then stopped to throw on fleece and shell, as the wind could be felt whipping overhead and the reports back from the summit were daunting.

As it turned out, the summit winds only felt like the 20's with maybe a gust or two reaching 30. It was cold and blustery, but by no means bad weather. The last 0.3 miles of the trail have a hundred feet or so of rock stepping, then an easy contour across the west side of the ridge, then a quick pop up to the top. The views from the open, rocky summit are unmatched. To the west, Champlain and the ADK's beyond. To the north, Mansfield. Southward the ridge continues a ways towards Ellen and Abraham, past the Mad River Glen and Sugarbush ski areas. East was just hill and valley, over and over. And in every direction the colors of gold and fire; the foliage was clearly at its peak.

There were enough people on the summit to occupy the few lee areas out of the wind, so we started back down. On the way, we bumped into Alethea again, this time wearing her pack. This seemed like a good time to engage her in conversation, so we kept her occupied while the pack of stones dragged on her shoulders (though apparently there was significantly less rock in there than when she started). After bading her well, we continued back to the clearing to eat before setting a land speed record back to the car.

We took a short shopping trip up to GMC headquarters, then stopped by a cider mill in Waterbury so I could pick up that magnificent of treats: fresh cider doughnuts. Mmm. And on the drive home, the sun dipped below the cloud deck, casting a radiant pink into the sky as the trees burned a vivid red and gold. The moment of color was simply incredible. It's too bad we had to listen to the Yankees defeat Minnesota on the way.

I've gotta thank AMSTony for deciding to do this trip. I was planning on staying home this past weekend and catching up on paperwork (like submitting my 48 NH 4K application). I'm still behind in my chores, but that hike was oh so worth it.

On the NE 67 list, this was #51 for AMSTony, #49 for Alpinista, and #53 for me. My photo album is now online here.