• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

anyone using new gear this season

roark

You planning on visiting avi terrain?
Not especially, thus no beacon. Although I suppose it's not called the Gulf of Slides for nothing. Mostly looking to start exploring beyond the usual haunts this year if I can and get up to Tuckerman while Sherbie is still open.

I would be into taking a course though.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Shovel and prove is kinda useless without a beacon ;) Reason I asked is generally there is essentially close to no avi risk in Tuckerman/GoS/etc. late season unless something late season adds instability or new snow. Now if you are looking at getting up there before the Spring during the regular season, then by all means, and you would want that beacon in that case. I haven't bothered since I don't visit terrain that has anything higher than next to nothing for avi danger. Though I am considering some trips that would require that gear and knowledge down the road....

roark

Actually the shovel is stowed under the trunk in the car - much better than the plastic crappy one I had before. Plus it has the potential of being useful in the future. ;)

While I like the idea of getting out in times there might be avi danger honestly I'm too lazy when there's great lift serviced to be had. But I do aim to get a few more earned trips in this year.

cbcbd

There were plenty of avalanches in the spring last year because of late snowfall... Anyway, I plan on getting out to other areas to hit the BC anyway and I know it will all come in handy in the future.

But yeah, without the class it's really worthless - it's so much more about learning to make good decisions than to learn how to dig people out.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
As roark pointed out... chances are if conditions in the Spring are avi prone, then I am still hitting the lifts any ways. :) Good to have for future excursions though, no doubt.

prisnah

Just bought a pair of Salomon Scream 720's 171cm mounted as rock skis, a special blend hoody for warm days, and a pair of armada thalls for the park to add to last years chronic blends as my all mountain, might sell the thalls tho cuz i paid real real short $ and could make a profit. Thinking about a dumpy rock ice skater as well....or a moderately priced AT set up..don't need it so it depends on whether i can get a monster deal.....hint hint ;-)

thaller1

Have a new pair of replacement skis.. Fischer AMC 76 for racing and all mountain.. ordered a pair of Fischer Porohetes for POWDER! :) I would have gone w/ the Wateas but they are too long...

snowmonster

Needed to upgrade my old pair of boots for a stiffer one so I pulled the trigger on a pair of Lange World Cup 120 boots online at a good price. Consulted Jeff Bokum on the choice of boot and fit. Will probably break them in three or four days on snow then visit Jeff to see if work needs to be done.

bvibert

Staff member
I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Head Mad Trix Mogul skis with PX12 bindings. At least I should have the moguls covered for this year. I'll be looking for a pair of mid-fats as well. The mogul skis were a wicked good deal that I've been eyeing all summer and I couldn't pass it up any longer...

Greg

Staff member
I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Head Mad Trix Mogul skis with PX12 bindings. At least I should have the moguls covered for this year. I'll be looking for a pair of mid-fats as well. The mogul skis were a wicked good deal that I've been eyeing all summer and I couldn't pass it up any longer...

Sweet! Congrats. Bring on the Sundown bumps!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I demoed them last year on a typical EC day...great edge hold, stable at speed and you know they'll float well. nice addition to the quiver.
These types of comments make me nervous. I look for powder tree skis to not be stable at speed and have great edge hold. More concerned about powder, float, and especially short, nimble, tight tree skiing type turns. Very delicate balance between good float and nimble enough to make the tight turns and cuts of New England wood and tree skiing.

These types of comments make me nervous. I look for powder tree skis to not be stable at speed and have great edge hold. More concerned about powder, float, and especially short, nimble, tight tree skiing type turns. Very delicate balance between good float and nimble enough to make the tight turns and cuts of New England wood and tree skiing.

That's kind of my point...I can tell just by the dimensions that the surface area will make the ski float, for me, I want to know that a powder ski will still perform in the conditions its not ideally suited for..harder snow, dust on crust, etc...all the things you don't want to hit on a powder day, but are likely to encounter nonetheless. Its on the narrower end of "fat" skis...so its a little quicker than most...certainly quicker than the Gotama for example. You're definately talking about a delicate balance...wider, longer skis will float really well, but won't be as nimble...a shorter, slightly narrower fat ski will be more nimble, but with less surface area, won't float as well as even the same ski in a longer length. I wouldn't expect you to take some guy on an online forums word for it...but I literally ski on dozens of skis every winter...pretty much eveything new that's offered by
Volkl, K2, Atomic, Fischer, Salomon, Rossi, Head, Nordica, Elan, Armada...but you've got to put them to the test yourself to find out if they're right for you.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Yea, totally. Good deal. The reason for my concern is from my experience last year with the Mantra. Seems like every ski company out there is looking to do a "quiver of one" in general and especially in the powder board line up. Personally, I like having a few different skis and don't want a ski that compromises even slightly on natural snow and powder. There is always a trade off. People talk about the one ski quiver, but there is always a trade off. I would prefer to see more specialization. Just have seen a lot of comments about how well powder skis can carve lately, and it just isn't what I want a powder ski to do well. Usually, the components that make a ski rail on groomers generally trade off for the qualities that make a ski a blast on the natural stuff. I'll give it a shot myself.... I gotta respect any one that admits other skiers need to try it for themselves rather than shooting from the hip that it is the best ski for someone else.

cool...I hear what you're saying, so try the watea, but also try a k2 seth...they're softer, springy, mini rocker in the tip....don't rail as well on the hard stuff but they're great in the fluff. The watea might be stiffer than you want, its going to have a similar feel to the mantra...fischer's misfit has similar dimensions but softer flex, more in line with the seth without the rocker or crazy twisted graphics...and its still a woodcore, sidewall ski. I'm an idealist when it comes to skis...I'm all about having the best ski for the conditions. You're right on with the one ski quiver comment...jack of all trades, master of none. Not that there aren't some great ones out there, I'm just glad I don't have to settle for one...3 or 4 is more like it.

Last edited: