• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

anyone using new gear this season

prisnah

Just picked up a beat up pair of 179 bro prototypes...short money, I figure I'll use them in a beater AT setup. Salomons got delivered yesterday too.

Greg

Staff member
They do seem pretty stiff, which I think was why you went with the K2's, right?

The Salomon 1080 Moguls were my first choice. Seeing powhunter on them, I could tell they were very forgiving. The Cabs came highly recommended however, and I had gift certificates for Al's Ski Barn which stocked them so I went for those. As I understand it, the Heads are very rewarding for skiing them correctly, and amplify your flaws if you don't. My goal for a bump ski was lightweight and forgiving which I think I achieved with the Cabrawlers. Just means you need to bring your A-game when you're out on those Heads, B! ;) It's going to be interesting to watch the Sundown crew hit Nor'easter on the skinny bump sticks this year.

bigbog

some new stuff....

Have a few, supposedly good skiing, AT boots on the way...narrowed the few down to the size closest to me...am taking advantage of a few of the online return policies since it's pretty difficult to find these in shops around northern NewEngland. This week should be fun...to what extent...???;-)
*What a day today.....wish I could call in sick for Monday, we need more long weekends in this country!!!

prisnah

Just picked up a beat up pair of 179 bro prototypes...short money, I figure I'll use them in a beater AT setup. Salomons got delivered yesterday too.

Just added a new pair of fritshchi freerides to throw on the bro's as an AT setup. Think I might get rid of the solly 720's.....still debating....gues I could always throw some demo bindings on 'em and use 'em as shite rock skis/ guest skis.

So new gear/stuff thus far:
Freerides
Bros
Solly 720's
661 Full Face
Some low DIN binders that came w/ the solly's
Some more socks
Apartment in bethel,ME

Still need:
More base layers
extra set of pants
back up jacket
extra liner
more money
roommate to split the rent

prisnah

Just added a new pair of fritshchi freerides to throw on the bro's as an AT setup. Think I might get rid of the solly 720's.....still debating....gues I could always throw some demo bindings on 'em and use 'em as shite rock skis/ guest skis.

So new gear/stuff thus far:
Freerides
Bros
Solly 720's
661 Full Face
Some low DIN binders that came w/ the solly's
Some more socks
Apartment in bethel,ME

Still need:
More base layers
extra set of pants
back up jacket
extra liner
more money
roommate to split the rent

Got the roomie, the base layers, and 2 liners today!!!

Mildcat

The Salomon 1080 Moguls were my first choice. Seeing powhunter on them, I could tell they were very forgiving. The Cabs came highly recommended however, and I had gift certificates for Al's Ski Barn which stocked them so I went for those. As I understand it, the Heads are very rewarding for skiing them correctly, and amplify your flaws if you don't. My goal for a bump ski was lightweight and forgiving which I think I achieved with the Cabrawlers. Just means you need to bring your A-game when you're out on those Heads, B! ;) It's going to be interesting to watch the Sundown crew hit Nor'easter on the skinny bump sticks this year.

Just curious, what were you using in the bumps before your cabralwers? Were you using a bump only ski?

Greg

Staff member
Just curious, what were you using in the bumps before your cabralwers? Were you using a bump only ski?

2005 Volkl Unlimited AC3. Realtively heavy and a tad stiff. Great ski, just not the best for the zipper line.

snowmonster

Got the roomie, the base layers, and 2 liners today!!!

Prisnah, never thought that roomie and apartment were part of gear. But, if you say so, good for you! If you're going to be a River skier this year, you need one more piece of equipment -- a portable grill. You need one for BobR and thaller's meet-and-greets.

Hawkshot99

Prisnah, never thought that roomie and apartment were part of gear. But, if you say so, good for you! If you're going to be a River skier this year, you need one more piece of equipment -- a portable grill. You need one for BobR and thaller's meet-and-greets.

If it is a vacation apartment, then a roomie can defiantly be part of your "gear". It can be expensive to have that extra home, so the financial split of the bills helps.

bigbog

These types of comments make me nervous. I look for powder tree skis to not be stable at speed and have great edge hold. More concerned about powder, float, and especially short, nimble, tight tree skiing type turns. Very delicate balance between good float and nimble enough to make the tight turns and cuts of New England wood and tree skiing.
Choosing between a few AT boots....

$.01...

Last edited:

DEVO

Picked up a set of Naxo 21's at the end of last season mounted them to my Dynastar Legend 8000's and picked up some BCA skins. Only skied on those one day in the resort last season. Waiting on used Garmont G-rides that should show up any day that I bought from someone at TGR. Smith Prodigy goggles from SAC.

Thinking about picking up another ski to use as my "everyday" resort ski so I won't have to use the Legend's and just keep those for touring.

Just picked up a new pair of Scott P3's! Should be exactly what I was looking for, stiffer twin tip for all around east coast use.

prisnah

Yeah I consider the place part of the gear because it was essential in my quest to ski as much as possible.....roomie probably wouldn''t like it if he knew he was being talked about as gear tho.

Good call, on the grill, I knew I shoulda jumped on the one on SAC the other day. I'll hafta pick one up asap. Def. looking forward to meeting all of you and getting in some quality turns.

snoseek

Yeah I consider the place part of the gear because it was essential in my quest to ski as much as possible.....roomie probably wouldn''t like it if he knew he was being talked about as gear tho.

Good call, on the grill, I knew I shoulda jumped on the one on SAC the other day. I'll hafta pick one up asap. Def. looking forward to meeting all of you and getting in some quality turns.

I have a grill you can have, not the best but free and it works. I'm not taking it with me to colorado, so it will just end up at the swap shop at the dump. p.m. me for details.

MarkC

I picked up a pair of rome bindings. Still not sure what I am going to put them on. I am thinking about picking up a never summer titan tx but have not found a good price on one yet.

Trekchick

New gear?
I'm a bit shy about buying gear so I held back this year.
to The 08 Wave Spice I picked up in the spring, I added the Elan Speed Magic, Nordica, Olympia Fire Fox, Blue House MR171, and looks Like I'll be getting a Blizzard EOS in a few days.
I picked up some Rossi Axial2 bindings for the Blue House skis.
I also got the Leki trigger poles
I needed another pair of heavy ski pants so I got some Isis pants a month ago but I think rest of my ski gear looks like its ready for another season.
Does it count that I sold two pair of skis?

Hawkshot99

Well I just ordered some boots for the year. I was gonna get Dalbello Proton 10's but they were all out so I am getting the Proton 12's. Little stiffer than I wanted but they will be fun. Plus they look very cool.
712141WB!DAL-119182.jpg

Well I just ordered some boots for the year. I was gonna get Dalbello Proton 10's but they were all out so I am getting the Proton 12's. Little stiffer than I wanted but they will be fun. Plus they look very cool.
712141WB!DAL-119182.jpg

How much were they? I'm in the market for some new boots..my Langes have 4 years on them and are so so so packed out..