• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Osceola and East Osceola October 10, 2004

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date(s) Hiked: October 10, 2004

Trails(s) Hiked: Mount Osceola Trail from Tripoli Road

Total Distance: 8.5 Miles

Difficulty: Easy-moderate to Osceola, a different story for the trek to East Osceola (more difficult).

Conditions: Very good. Excellent weather and foliage. 8)

Special Required Equipment: Camera, latest AMC White Mountain Guide, oh yeah, trekking poles!

Trip Report: I WILL CONFESS that I miss my Vermont address and the short distance to the northern Whites. Now living "just outside Boston," I have had to explore other mountains (especially in the Monadnock area) and this has been an upside. But, I always look forward to returning north and continuing with my 4000 Footer list. Today's trek took us to Mount Osceola, rising just north of Waterville Valley's Mount Tecumseh.

The drive was 2 hours door to door with a stop and there was a lot of traffic on Tripoli Road.

The trail up to the summit of Osceola was pleasant, with rocky footing in the lower and middle sections which ironically smoothed out as we climbed higher. It took less than two hours to ascend the first 3.2 miles to the summit, where we found dramatic views and some other folks taking in the view. I also found another lookout located on a short spur just north of the old firetower foundation. This perch had views into the Pemi and toward the Franconia area while the main attraction featured views from Mount Washington into Maine and all the way down to Lake Winnepausakee and all the way down toward Sunapee. 8)

After a nice lunch, we then descended to East Osceloa, located just north and east of Osceola. It was only a mile, but this was a pretty interesting mile that featured two very steep pitches and one chimney that required some climbing skills (there is a detour on the north that is less steep, but not much less :blink: ). The GF loved this chimney on the return. The views back towards Osceola were spectacular at times but the views from the summit of East Osceola (which is another 4000 footer) were less than attractive. There is a restricted view to the east which looks at the same terrain as that of the summit only from a different perspective. After a brief stop, we headed back to the main summit and climbed up the steep pitches. The cliffs just above the chimney are impressive. This second mountain took about 1.5-2 hours to hike.

The trek down was good, except for the rocking footing in places. The clouds did roll in, but no rain.

A very good hike which the GF loved as well. I have two more notches on my 4000 list and some great photos and memories. Oh yeah, the post-hike Dunkin' Donuts was good as well :wink: .