• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Tuning Kit

Greg

Staff member
Well, I figure it's probably about time I figure out how to do a basic tune on my skis. Does anybody have any experience with complete tuning kits like this:

http://www.the-house.com/da7supt7zz-dakine.html

Will the above work for skis too? Am I better off just buying everything individually? What else is needed? Vices for a work bench? Any basic instructions out there online?

snowmonster

Hi Greg. Looks like a good enough starter kit (though you should probably scout around for a ski specific kit). Actually, those packages are a pretty good deal since they assemble all the stuff you need. You'll probably end up spending more if you bought all of those individually (sometimes the iron is worth as much as that entire kit). I would add the following to your set:

- brake retainers (actually about 4 or 6 rubber bands will do the trick)
- a diamond stone (for everyday in between tunes and for deburring)
- a gummi stone (for de-tunes, deburring or getting rid of rust stains)
- a nylon brush (in case you don't like the scotchbrite pads)

A set of vises will come in handy but you can make do for now with the seats or back of two chairs. If you decide that tuning is for you then go ahead and make the investment in vises. You may as well go for the real vises because I don't hear to many good reviews for the "lasso" type of system.

Instructions (and other tools) can be seen at www.tognar.com. If you want a video to demonstrate it all for you, check out www.swixschool.com.

Welcome to the wonderful world of tuning! It'll keep you mind on skiing for those in-between days away from the mountain.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I have a Swix Pro 2000 ski vice and it is amazing. It retains your brakes for you...and holds the ski very well.

I'd suggest getting a good iron as well.

Basic ski wax does the job I find.

Sky

I think the web site I've used is www.artechski.com

They offer ski-specific stuff.

Sounnds like a new forum categroy to me Greg...plus we'll need a "pro".

Then we'll have the Moguls covered, boot fitters....now all we need is a bus driver to take us all to the slopes.

BeanoNYC

I started out with the Prima starter kit and a good vice from Tognar. I got a wax iron as a gift. That reminds me...I need to place an order for some wax soon.

wa-loaf

www.tognar.com

they are awesome, very friendly and will sell you what you need......call em!!!

The Tognar site is great. There is so much info and they explain what all the tools do and how best to use them. Everyone else pretty much just list the stuff. I've bought stuff from Artech too and they were really cool in answering a few questions I had.

snowmonster

Then we'll have the Moguls covered, boot fitters....now all we need is a bus driver to take us all to the slopes.

Thanks for the link, I may be in the market for base structuring materials. I found some on the artech site which were much cheaper than on the tognar site. Good sites both.

I agree also on the "pro." That'll make this place the ultimate ski site. Maybe someone from artech or tognar can chime in every now and then,

Birdman829

www.tognar.com

they are awesome, very friendly and will sell you what you need......call em!!!

Both of those places are great. I have also bought stuff from www.ski-racing.com Their Beast stuff is pretty simple, inexpensive, and effective.