• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Black Diamond Havoc- length advice

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
So there are some BD Havoc's on eBay, and I need some advice.

The 173 cm starts at $279 with a buy it now of $300, and the 180 cm starts at $325 with a buy it now of $400.

So.... I weigh about 163-165 lbs... I'm thinking the 173 would good for the decreased weight, since it will be my touring ski, but also easier to turn in the trees. Is there any good reason I should look at the 180 cm instead?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
173 would probably do the trick for you, I would think. How do you feel about your current ski length?

Well you know, the Scott's are 175's and they feel just fine. My Rossi's were 177's and they are fine. The P50's are 183's but that's a whole different animal.

I think 173 is the way to go. The next size up is actually 183 on the Havoc. There's a pair of Verdicts on eBay right now for a good price, those are 180's. Those are a much fatter ski though... 130-98-119.

There's probably no need for that doing mostly touring in the NE. The Havoc's are 120-88-112. That's probably enough float to have fun in any kind of powder, even one to two trips to BC or Utah a winter.

I know you're a big Legend 8000 fan Steve, but these are a great price. Have you ever skied a BD ski? I haven't ever heard anything bad about them. Lou Dawson even reviewed them on Wild Snow and liked them just find.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I have never tried a BD ski. Unfortunately, AT demos of BD are pretty hard to find. You figure with the booming market, they would make demos of their skis easier. They get no money from me until I at least try on ski from their line. I had considered the Kilowatt but I have yet to read a single glowing review of those skis. No one seems to hate them either but they don't seem to do anything for anyone. Much anylike the Havocs which many folks rave about. See them a lot at Jay from the tele crowd. Price? Meh. Never let price dictate your ride. Always go for what works best for your needs.

The twin tip factor is something I hadn't considered. Prevailing wisdom is that twin tips ski smaller than the length suggests due to the tail. Since your current quiver range is 175-183, it is hard to judge your reaction to a shorter ski without having skied something that short. it is only 2cm shorter than your scotts but the twin may have some impact. Personally, I have ruled out several skis since they do not offer my length (Voile Insanes come to mind instatly). This is tough to do when you think you have the right ski at the right price.

For three bills it might be worth a roll of the dice. New, I hope? Considering what they were going for at end of season clearance prices and all...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
New yes. I had considered the length impact of the twin tips. One turnoff is I just realized they are foam core. I kinda want to stay far away from foam core (no offense to anyone that has some) until they're better proven for durability and service life.

I really seem to be pretty insensitive to what I'm skiing on though, as long as it's within a certain range of dimensions and construction. That's why I let price be a major factor (that and I'm a major tightwad). Thanks for the advice though, it's always appreciated and always sound and well though out from brother Steve.

cbcbd

I skied rental BD Havocs from EMS in N Conway last year about 5 times. I know they placed a huge order for their rental fleet this year... they might have more BD skis to try out this season.

I ordered the 165s... they were nice in tight trees and easy to toss around and honestly I'm just going with them because I got pretty used to the size last season and I don't think I'd get that much more from the 173. I'm 5'8" and around the same weight. Although I didn't have a chance to try them in powder last year.

Also, the twin tip of the Havoc is not as pronounced as real twin tips - it tips up halfway sort of, ya dig?

cbcbd

One turnoff is I just realized they are foam core. I kinda want to stay far away from foam core (no offense to anyone that has some) until they're better proven for durability and service life.
Are you looking at the new Havocs or are these last year's?
Old Havoc - foam
New Havoc - wood core

"Redesigned this season, the Havoc features a new wood core and deeper 3D pockets for increased torsional rigidity and a smoother flex."

I'm psyched since I hear they're not as chattery this year.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Are you looking at the new Havocs or are these last year's?
Old Havoc - foam
New Havoc - wood core

"Redesigned this season, the Havoc features a new wood core and deeper 3D pockets for increased torsional rigidity and a smoother flex."

I'm psyched since I hear they're not as chattery this year.

Last year's model. I've never bought a pair of current MY skis. Just too expensive.