• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Need some constructive advice on new ski purchase

Razor

I'm looking for a good ski to complement my Rossi B-1s. Something to use on soft snow and powder that would be good in the trees and to take out west a couple of times a year. Right now I'm trying to decide between K2 Apache Recons, Rossi B-2s, Volkl AC30s and Dynastar 8000s. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I'm looking for a good ski to complement my Rossi B-1s. Something to use on soft snow and powder that would be good in the trees and to take out west a couple of times a year. Right now I'm trying to decide between K2 Apache Recons, Rossi B-2s, Volkl AC30s and Dynastar 8000s. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

I like the recons and B-2s find them both to be very similiar. Both great for carving, however neither is a powder ski. If you want something that's good on both groomers and powder, I would recommend either the Atomic Metron M11 or the Nordica Hot Rod Jet Fuel. Both verstile skis.

Last edited:

nycskier

I love my K-2 Apache recons! They are the best ski I have ever used and I highly recommend them.

They are extremely forgiving and absolutely amazing in almost any conditions. They rock on bumps and kick ass on choppy fresh snow.

I demoed the Volkl AC 3s and the Rossi-B2s before I bought the K-2 recons and without a doubt liked the recons the best!

And it is not just me who loves them. Whenever I meet someone else who has them they rave about them too. In fact when I was in Jackson Hole I couldnt believe how many people were skiing on the K-2s!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
It is no secret that I am a devoted lover of the Legend 8000s and have been since their first year. For perspective, I am 6'1" and weight 210 lbs and ski mostly Jay, Mad River, Burke, and Cannon. Preference is trees and powder though something that can handle the groomed and natural conditions on the trails in between the trees and powder. Here are my thoughts on the 8000s. You might also want to consider the Elan m666. Though to be honest, every skier preferences slightly difference performance needs and ANY ski in that range might meet your needs. So best just to demo all the skis in that bracket if you do not know what you are looking for.

wa-loaf

I really like the recon, but if you want more of a powder/western ski try the outlaws. Just like the recons with another 10mm underfoot, can carve about as well, but probabaly not much fun in the bumps.

Birdman829

Personally i would get something wider than most of the skis that have been mentioned here. If you already have B1s for groomers/ice/bumps/whatever and you're looking for a ski to complement them, why not go for something with a little more float? Wider skis do fine on groomers and great in pow and crud, and really don't lose as much as you'd think in the bumps.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Personally i would get something wider than most of the skis that have been mentioned here. If you already have B1s for groomers/ice/bumps/whatever and you're looking for a ski to complement them, why not go for something with a little more float? Wider skis do fine on groomers and great in pow and crud, and really don't lose as much as you'd think in the bumps.

Nordica Hot Rod Jet Fuel, demo them.

RISkier

Don't mean to thread jack here but those of you who've skied the Recons how are they on boilerplate. I skied them a day in UT when my skis didn't arrive on time. Likced them a quite a lot but conditions were fairly soft. Wondered how they would perform on the kind of hard snow and icier conditions we often find in the East.

ajl50

The recons are find on hard snow. They have plenty of edge hold for a midfat ski. With that said go with the outlaws. at 88 mm they are much better in the western snow. They float fine, carve well and handle crud great. Furthermore their metal gives them the much needed responsiveness to execute quick turns in trees.
OR...you could just by some chiefs...I have them and to be honest...they carve just fine if you aren't on super hardpack.

ajl50

I mean Chiefs don't edge to edge turn like the crossfires but you can certainly link turns without smearing the tails around....

bigbog

.......... Here are my thoughts on the 8000s. .
Wow river...had a lot on your mind;-)...lots of info!... In all candor, if the Gear Guides could ever put out as much helpful stuff they'd increase their subscription numbers immeasureably!
FWIW, the Mythic (Rider...W: 88mm) feels just as stiff with potential snap..but "different"...in the meaningless hand-flex test..:-D

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I have the Intuitiv Big (Inspired, etc.) which preceded the 8800 which precedes the Mythic Rider. Two completely different skis. The Mythic Rider does slim down the waist by 1mm and expands the tip and tail slightly. My opinion is these are very good improvements. I am actually looking to replace my Intuitiv Big with a fatter ski better suited to skiing trees. This ski in the line definitely prefers open spaces compared to tight trees from my experience. I wouldn't mind giving the Mythic a spin to see if the minor changes adjusted the ski's character.

Personally i would get something wider than most of the skis that have been mentioned here. .

I couldn't agree more. Get into the mid 80mm range at least...instead of the AC30, try the AC40...I've got both, the AC30 is my hard snow ski...AC40 is what I use with firm snow underneath and 8 inches or less...or spring days that start firmer then soften but not quite to slush. Recon is too narrow to add versatility to your quiver. The Nordica Jet Fuel is a great ski...would be my hard snow ski if I lived out west. If you really want to give youself some good range in the quiver get something in the 90+ mm waist range...Volkl Mantra, Fischer Watea 94, Nordica Enforcer (I've skied all 3)...all of them are mid 90s+ under foot, but wood core, sidewall skis with metal laminates...so they'll still hook up and hold on harder snow but will float like an absolute dream in the soft stuff and will be the only ski you need to bring out west. That's my $.02

Birdman829

I couldn't agree more. Get into the mid 80mm range at least...instead of the AC30, try the AC40...I've got both, the AC30 is my hard snow ski...AC40 is what I use with firm snow underneath and 8 inches or less...or spring days that start firmer then soften but not quite to slush. Recon is too narrow to add versatility to your quiver. The Nordica Jet Fuel is a great ski...would be my hard snow ski if I lived out west. If you really want to give youself some good range in the quiver get something in the 90+ mm waist range...Volkl Mantra, Fischer Watea 94, Nordica Enforcer (I've skied all 3)...all of them are mid 90s+ under foot, but wood core, sidewall skis with metal laminates...so they'll still hook up and hold on harder snow but will float like an absolute dream in the soft stuff and will be the only ski you need to bring out west. That's my $.02

Well said

thaller1

IMHO - Fischer Atua's rock.. they are long at 186cm and 96 under foot..they floot through the trees, rock the powder, and if you are strong enough they carve beautifully...

I'm female, 5"10", 170lbs...

bigbog

...Yup...well...I've been checking shop stocks for a couple of skis in..yes, that 88mm+ range so we'll see...those Atuas & Wateas are supposed to be an fun ride...thaller1

Birdman829

Just to throw another name out there, the Head Monster IM 88 is a great midfat ski. Stiff enough to rail the groomers if you have to, but really at its best in crud and pow.

thaller1

...Yup...well...I've been checking shop stocks for a couple of skis in..yes, that 88mm+ range so we'll see...those Atuas & Wateas are supposed to be an fun ride...thaller1

I am waiting for my newest purchase to arrive..the Fischer Porohetes! :) 106 under foot!!! woohooooooooooooooooooo