• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

October 6th Appalachian trail hike..

Hey All,

I'm back from a late afternoon hike on the Appalachian trail west of Booter mountain. It was 85 degrees when I left A-town..I stopped at Sheetx for water, sugar free red bull, and some nachos..the Nachos were hella soggy..and I only ate half of them..15 minutes later I was in the parking area and tried to pawn the rest of my nachos to DanSobey. Then a few minutes later at around 3:30PM Atomic Jeff arrived. The temperature was 81 degrees and there was sunshine with some haze. The conditions on the trail were nice and dry. We took two breaks to discuss the local Geology, Erosion, and vegetation.. Then we walked down toward Palmerton about halfway and I ran up the hill and worked up a good sweat. The hike back went by quickly and before we knew it we were at the downhill section which is mostly loose and larger rocks. I skipped and ran down the hill which is sort of like skiing without the skis and snow. We ended around 6:30PM and it was just starting to get dark with a temperature of 76 degrees. Although the temperatures felt summerlike..we'll be skiing in a little over a month...Holla