• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Used K2 Pontoons with bindings on Teton Gravity...

lloyd braun

They are 799.00 all over the internet.

My question is why would you need them on the EC? I have friends with them and only use them 5 days a season max, around here!

deadheadskier

Staff member
They are 799.00 all over the internet.

My question is why would you need them on the EC? I have friends with them and only use them 5 days a season max, around here!

I got 50+ days on a set of Rossi Axioms during 2000-2001. You live in Aspen correct? Hate to break it to you, but Jay Peak gets more snow than the Aspen area pretty much every year.

Northern Vermont skiers can get 20+ poe days a year..I'd love to get a pair of Pontoons..if the price was right..

lloyd braun

I got 50+ days on a set of Rossi Axioms during 2000-2001. You live in Aspen correct? Hate to break it to you, but Jay Peak gets more snow than the Aspen area pretty much every year.

you just love ragging on Aspen don't you. I am aware of average snow falls in the east.

My point is that those skis really work best in bottomless powder and big open terrain where you can get rollin. I would have to say we get more of those days then Jay Peak and our terrain suits the ski better. And the original point is that even out here they only come out on certain days, and we don't have nearly enough of those certain days.

Ever since I saw those Pontoons at Nestors..I've been dreaming about them...They would also allow me to get gold at Nastar..:-?

Okay, I don't know you, never seen you ski, etc...I just think you'd get much more use out of something more versatile...less of a one trick pony. I said it before, if you've got serious wood for some steezy K2s get a Seth or a Hellbent...unless you're just rolling on with your PASR inside joke again...if that's the case, Pontoons away, get all mad steezy riding rails, ripping up the NASTAR course and night skiing on those pontoons...before you know it all the groms in PA will be begging mom and dad for some 'toons.;-)

koreshot

what ecp said. traditional sidecut/camber fatties are probably the best balance for EC skiers. I am sure you can find powder that is pontoon and spatula worthy on the EC, but given that you live in PA, I would think getting up to VT for conditions that warrant pontoons would be limited to once or twice a year. Its a tough sell at that price.

How about the new EHPs, the shape that is designed for powder tree skiing. I think they are supposed to be super floaty (thx to a bit of tip/tail rocker) but still carve somewhat on the hard snow for basic "back to the lifts" transportation. I think a 120mm under foot, low sidecut, zero camber ski is as far as I would be willing to take it, but thats me.

Okay, I don't know you, never seen you ski, etc...I just think you'd get much more use out of something more versatile...less of a one trick pony. I said it before, if you've got serious wood for some steezy K2s get a Seth or a Hellbent...unless you're just rolling on with your PASR inside joke again...if that's the case, Pontoons away, get all mad steezy riding rails, ripping up the NASTAR course and night skiing on those pontoons...before you know it all the groms in PA will be begging mom and dad for some 'toons.;-)

Dude this is still the inside joke..my Fat skis are my new Rossi Scratch Sprayer BCs which are 88mms in the waist..I'm fine in powder on all mountain carvers...lol

deadheadskier

Staff member
you just love ragging on Aspen don't you. I am aware of average snow falls in the east.

My point is that those skis really work best in bottomless powder and big open terrain where you can get rollin. I would have to say we get more of those days then Jay Peak and our terrain suits the ski better. And the original point is that even out here they only come out on certain days, and we don't have nearly enough of those certain days.

hardly

I know the conversation that you're referring to and I very much said that I think the terrain at Aspen is fantastic. The only thing I harped on was the price and that's a pretty valid arguement.

Ironically, the year I got 50+ days on my Axioms was the same winter I spent a week in Aspen. At the time, people out there were blown away by the width of them, especially the locals. They are spatulaesque. They were even more surpised that I came from the east coast. Almost all the locals road these particular skis as a local who worked for Rossi had a van full of them that he was selling for anywhere from $100-$150 as they were a 99 model. I know many locals in Stowe that still ride and love them as they bought multiple pairs.

I guess my point is that you can find as suitable a use for skis like pontoons on the east coast as you can out west.

I'd love to be on some toons...anybody have some they want to get rid of..just like fat bee-yatches..more cushion for the pushing..holla

SkiDog

I guess my point is that you can find as suitable a use for skis like pontoons on the east coast as you can out west.

I dont think you got a chance at finding as good a use for them on the east coast as I would here in Utah....Sorry...

M

deadheadskier

Staff member
I dont think you got a chance at finding as good a use for them on the east coast as I would here in Utah....Sorry...

M

This is the whole reason why I responded to begin with - snobby western attitude towards the east. Will I argue that I have better use for my axioms in the east than utah? No, even though the winter I was referring to, Jay received more natural than Alta and Snowbird.

I will say that northern Vermont does get as much natural as the Aspen area though and though there is no Highland Bowl on the east, I've found plenty good use in the back country options available.

Sure, pontoons et al serve a greater purpose out west than in the east, but to say that someone on the east coast has no use for such a ski is plain ignorant.

koreshot

This is the whole reason why I responded to begin with - snobby western attitude towards the east. Will I argue that I have better use for my axioms in the east than utah? No, even though the winter I was referring to, Jay received more natural than Alta and Snowbird.

I will say that northern Vermont does get as much natural as the Aspen area though and though there is no Highland Bowl on the east, I've found plenty good use in the back country options available.

Sure, pontoons et al serve a greater purpose out west than in the east, but to say that someone on the east coast has no use for such a ski is plain ignorant.

Not ragging on Jay - it is a great place, but I think the numbers on Jay snowfall are always inflated. Furthermore, due to the climate and wind the snow always seems to get blown off any open patch of terrain forcing you to stay in the woods where opening up is not easy. The wind seems to really compact the snow as well. Frequently, the quality of the powder is nowhere near as good as out west. It can be heavy, sticky at times or icy pellets other times.

Don't get me wrong, Jay does get more snow than many resorts out west, but I would take 300" of Utah powder over 500" of Jay powder any day.

snoseek

Not ragging on Jay - it is a great place, but I think the numbers on Jay snowfall are always inflated. Furthermore, due to the climate and wind the snow always seems to get blown off any open patch of terrain forcing you to stay in the woods where opening up is not easy. The wind seems to really compact the snow as well. Frequently, the quality of the powder is nowhere near as good as out west. It can be heavy, sticky at times or icy pellets other times.

Don't get me wrong, Jay does get more snow than many resorts out west, but I would take 300" of Utah powder over 500" of Jay powder any day.

i agree. jay also gets rain in the middle of winter (although i have seen it pour in utah in the middle of winter, but that is pretty rare) which melts base fast.

SkiDog

Dude I grew up skiing the east coast my entire life (still have a condo at Killington)...skied Jay many times...in fact I ski here in Utah with an ex jay patroller....YOU CANNOT COMPARE THE TWO.....Jay gets snow..yes, but NOTHING like Utah bro...no comparison....Not to mention even in a CRAPPY snow season like last year..I was still getting 20"+ pow days on May 16 2007.....I've also already skied 15" of fresh this year on October 6th....

You skiing Jay on your pontoons yet???? Good luck..I think the pontoons are even overkill for much out here......I can't justify a ski that costs that much for the 3 days a year it would get used EVEN in Utah blower...

M