• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What do you do with your poles on the chair?

Greg

Staff member
The new MRG Single chair thread kinda inspired this thought-provoking and truly intriguing thread idea. What do you do with your poles on the lift? Normally, I'll slip them under my right leg as I load the chair and sort of half sit on them on the way up. You?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Being relatively inexperienced, I have this weird quirky thing that I prefer an outside seat on any chairlift. Then I usually hold my poles in the outside hand kind of diagonally across my front so they're not hitting anyone, but I'm not going to drop them either. Make sense? I'm afraid of heights and for some reason, holding onto my poles well comforts me. :oops:

Hawkshot99

Leave them on my wrists, and let them hang.

Im a rebal that defies the "remove pole straps" sign:lol::spread:

Never dropped a pole leaving them on.

ski220

I don't like sticking them under my legs. It can cut off the circulation, leading to tired legs and cold feet. If there is a safety bar I'll tuck them under my arm resting them on the back of the chair and the bar. I like footrests personally. A nice slow chair like MRG's is a good place to take a nap.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
If room allows (i.e. the chair isn't full or too cramped), I put the poles under my right leg, usually slipping them under when loading. When the chair is full, logistically, this can be a pain in the but for everybody so then I just hold them together in my right hand angling right to left slightly.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I slip them under my legs. Unlike everyone who's answered so far, I'm ambidextrous and will slip them under either leg, depending on where I am on the chair. At times, I will also, if on the end of the chair, I'll put them under my arm (again either one depending on which side of the chair) as they sit on the safety bar and the side bar of the chair.

95% of the time they're under either leg.

Zand

With a full chair, I just hold them i front of me. If there's room to so do, I just put them across my lap.

wa-loaf

I usually just hold them, but if I need to adjust clothing or clean goggles/glasses I'll stick em under my leg.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
I throw mine at snowboarders, Yankees fans, and [ political reference removed by Moderator ] ...the rest of the time I just hold them.

deadheadskier

Staff member
always under my leg, though which one depends on where I am sitting on the chair, so that I don't disturb others.

BeanoNYC

I slip them under my leg. But I had a very bad experience last season getting off a lift so I'm very careful now.

bvibert

Staff member
Usually under a leg, depending on the chair and how many others are on it with me.

Terry

If the chair is crowded I will just hold them in frt of me. If not crowded I will sometimes put them under my right leg to free up the hands for lift lagers!

The new MRG Single chair thread kinda inspired this thought-provoking and truly intriguing thread idea. What do you do with your poles on the lift? Normally, I'll slip them under my right leg as I load the chair and sort of half sit on them on the way up. You?

I always just hold them..I never sit on them unless I'm trying to grab something from a pocket..

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Sometimes I put them under a leg, depending on the lift and how crowded it is. I've become good at judging where they need to be when I'm on a left with foot rests.