• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jeep Compass...

SKIQUATTRO

i like the 2dr Unlimited (no longer made, only the 4dr Unlimited is avail) just gives that extra room for gear

Hawkshot99

I do not like the 4 door wranglers. The entire purpose of the Wrangler is to be taken off road and abused. Spots were the shorter wheelbase is good for getting around corners, and just good old fashioned 4 by 4ing. Jeeps suck on the road. The mileage sucks, they are load, and the ride sucks, but those are things you are willing to suffer with in order to have the good off road vehicle.

So in conclusion I don't like them because they just seem to be for the 'look at me I drive a off road vehicle' person. This is the same thought i get when i see a perfectly shiny never been off onto even a dirt road 2 door.

I want a new Wrangler(2 door Rubicon) but would never buy one. I would buy a older one from the 90's cause I want to take it out in the back trails and have a great time in it.

ComeBackMudPuddles

The problem I have with the Compass and the Patriot are that they are purely marketing driven. The company originally planned on producing one version, but the two models appealed to the sexes in such dramatically different ways (Compass for the ladies, Patriot for the dudes) that Chrysler greenlighted both of them.

Just strikes me as a lack of focus, as compared to the Wrangler and Cherokee.

That being said, I'm sure they're both perfectly lovely vehicles. Not necessarily "Jeeps", though.

SKIQUATTRO

I'd get a lower end Jeep and modify it instead of getting the Rubicon...you could modify it cheaper and do it better than the off the shelf RUBI

dmc

Pretty much got a different Jeep each week i rented a car in Arkansas last August...
Wasn't too impressed with the Compass...

snowmonster

The problem I have with the Compass and the Patriot are that they are purely marketing driven. The company originally planned on producing one version, but the two models appealed to the sexes in such dramatically different ways (Compass for the ladies, Patriot for the dudes) that Chrysler greenlighted both of them.

Just strikes me as a lack of focus, as compared to the Wrangler and Cherokee.

That being said, I'm sure they're both perfectly lovely vehicles. Not necessarily "Jeeps", though.

I agree with this observation. Li'l snowmonster (female) wanted the Compass and I was looking more at the Patriot. Not Jeeps in the "real" sense, I agree, but when price and mileage are considerations, they hit the spot. The relative boxiness of the Patriot reminded me of the Cherokee though.

Grassi21

I'd get a lower end Jeep and modify it instead of getting the Rubicon...you could modify it cheaper and do it better than the off the shelf RUBI

That all depends on how far you want to take it. If you are looking for that off road "look" I would go for a Wrangler X. Lift it and put some gnarly looking tires on it. If you plan on doing some occasional off roading I would go with the RUBI then lift it and add tires. Those factory installed lockers are a nice addition (are they still using ARB lockers?). If you are hard core I would go back to the X. Pick your lift, tires, lockers, upgrade your battery, add an air compressor etc etc.

I don't knock people who are hard core into off roading. I just hope that they tread lightly and not abuse ma nature. Personally, my Wrangler Unlimited will eventually get a lift and some 33" tires and become our Cape Cod beach buggy.

SKIQUATTRO

hey Grassi....we are on the cape alot too (house in Eastham) spent my college summers bartending and surfing all over the cape, some great breaks and beach driving with no one around....how you like your unlimited? Thinking about trading in the Audi for another Jeep to tool around town in....we have another truck for longer trips with the kids...

Grassi21

hey Grassi....we are on the cape alot too (house in Eastham) spent my college summers bartending and surfing all over the cape, some great breaks and beach driving with no one around....how you like your unlimited? Thinking about trading in the Audi for another Jeep to tool around town in....we have another truck for longer trips with the kids...

I waited tables one summer up there. Spent all of my tip money on booze and food. Good times... We were just up in late Sept and early Oct. By far its the best time to head up there.

I love the Unlimited. I never have the back seat in so I can load gear during ski and lax season. Next spring/summer I will put the seat back in as our infant will be a toddler. I'll feel more secure knowing the little dude can control his head completely and not get bounced around too much. We also have a family truck (currently a 4Runner but shopping since the lease ends in Dec). If you are looking to tool around look at some used ones before considering a new one. I got my Unlimited for $16,500. 2004, 34,000 miles, super clean inside and out, and did well at the inspection. Jeeps aren't expensive new, but when you look at what the vehicle is they are a bit overpriced. Not to mention (I would imagine this is the case on LI) there are tons of them available used. As long as the car is on the up and up and has no signs of being abused off road, used is the way to go. My 2 cents...

SKIQUATTRO

I love the cape, wish i could get up there more, my grandfather built the original house and my parents knocked that down an built a brand new house a few years a go, Eastham is still unspoiled and the National Seashore is stunning!! Great vibe up there....
I have 2 girls as well (5 and 2.5) and we have Nissan Armada for the longer trips up to the Cape/Ski Country...I had Wrangler when my oldest was 2.5 and she loved it, and now she's the one screaming at me to get another one...she loved buzzing around town with the top down and tunes cranking...thanks for the info, a preowned is just fine with me for around town....hard to find the 2 dr unlumited and with a manual tranny, might settle for a regualr wrangler sport or so (2004/2005) coming off lease.....