• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Owl's Head, dumb, dumb, dumb

Mike P.

Date(s) Hiked: 10-20-2007

Trails(s) Hiked: Lincoln Woods, Franconia Brook trail, Lincoln Brook Trail, Owl's Head Slide to summit, slide, Lincoln Brook to Lincoln Brook, bushwhack to Franconia Falls Trail, Lincoln Woods trail back to car

Total Distance: Approx. 18 miles

Difficulty: Very difficult, stupidly difficult this day

Conditions: Only a moron would have done this hike (see moron's name & avater) as the water crossings were way too high to cross as the backpacker I saw on the Lincoln Brook trail told me. Still I found a place after 10 minutes or so of bushwhacking up stream. Even here the water was fast moving & almost waist deep, needing to lean way into the swift current, it was waist deep. After using a lot of energy to cross & having one foot slip enough that I had OH SHI out just before I regained my footing, I knew I was not going back that way. The first wide crossing of Lincoln Brook was thigh deep but I did not have to move up or downsteam for a place to cross. Crossing Liberty Brook was calf deep & the upper crosssing of Lincoln Brook was knee deep but required some searching for a safe place to cross. The slide in several areas was a series of casades & quite a bit of blowdown above the slide

Special Required Equipment: Sandals & a lobotomy. No Cotton, & anything in your pockets needed to be in a zip lock bag. The photon light on my keychain still does work, even though my keys were not in a zip-lock bag. Map or good familiarilty with the area so I could do the bushwhack back to the Franconia Brook trail before dark. Headlamp just in case.

Trip Report: This may be one of the dumbest hikes I've ever done, by the time I got the to slide, marked with two samll cairns, I was drained from the crossings. Needless to say once I crossed Franconia Brook, I did not see another hiker all day.

I had last done this trip a couple of May's ago & at least today the water was cool, not numbingly cold from snowmelt. Wore my sandals from Franconia Brook until I crossed Lincoln Brook. On the way back, had the Sandals on through Lincoln & Liberty Brooks, another crossing though was right at boot height.

After crossing Franconia Brook & realizing as dumb as that was fresh, it was suicidal 13+ miles into the hike, I planned on going around Owl's head but had trouble finding the trail heading north only a 100 yards or so above the Owl's Head junction. A path up the hill petered out while a large washout along the brook prevented walking along the brook. Therefore, I decided on the bushwhack which early on was faint to non-existent but eventually came to an old & likely illegal campsite & fire ring maybe 1/2 a mile above the end of trail for Franconia Falls trail, from the there the herd path was easy to follow. Took 10 hours & got out just before a headlamp was necessary. Any regular trail, I would have needed the light sooner but with a half monn up & a wide flat trail, I was fine.

Went beyond the "Old" summit to a point just below what may be the newer north summit which was surrounded by downed trees. Considering the few feet one descends from the previously marked summit, I think the only was to verify which summit is higher would be with two idential GPS's synched up at the older summit & walking talkies.

Last edited:

Skier75

Sorry to hear things didn't work out the way you wanted.....We almost did this trip last weekend, but ended up doing Tecumseh as a day trip instead. It'll be a while before I can hike again due to surgery last Wed.(sinus and tonsilectomy)

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Actually, I've been to Owl's Head twice, and I hope to go back again several more times, trying some of the different bushwhack routes as well as a winter trip!
:)

Haha...I have not been yet and am not looking foward to visiting it...it seems that most of the people I run into on the trails have only bad words for Owl's Head :)

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
If you liked the South Slide of Tripyramid, you will have no problem on the Owl's Head Slide, and it's a nearly-flat, long but easy walk all the way out there. The only reason people complain is that it's an 18 mile hike and the 3 water crossings (x 2 directions) can be a pain, as Mike witnessed.

Pick a good day and you will have fun!

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
If it's a nearly-flat, long but easy walk all the way out there. The only reason people complain is that it's an 18 mile hike and the 3 water crossings (x 2 directions) can be a pain, as Mike witnessed.

Exactly why I have no interest in hiking it! I find C-SPAN more interesting than the thought of hiking that :) Stupid lists...

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
That hike isn't really about big scenic views. It's a great chance to see wildlife, deep woods, and potentially challenging stream crossings. :) I wouldn't want all my hikes to be like that, but occasionally it is very nice.

Mike P.

I've historically been a denigrater of Owl's Head, a long walk in mostly a green tunnel. (& I still will be)

The brook crossings provide a nice view, even in the night sky as I found out last year. The backpacker I met on Lincoln Brook trail was TEO from VFTT. Just before I saw him I saw an Owl. At first I thought it was a hawk but once he landed on a branch & looked at me, the face was unmistakable. Also saw a small snake up on the slide, not a rattler. Franconia Falls was really roaring, wish I had a camera for that.

Third time for Owl's Head, will likely try Black Pond bushwhack when it's time although the Franconia Falls trip was pretty goo too. Some recent blowdown almost at the old summit provides IMO the best view of the higher Franconia summits. (from this side - I still prefer the view from Lonesome Lake or the top of the Cannon Cliff, just off the KRT.)

As far as solitude goes, while a sucker is born every minute (see sub-prime mess) morons can still cross brooks they wouldn't drive a pick-up truck thru (assuming a smooth bottom) & not come across another moron who made the same mistake & also got lucky.