• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Boot recommendations...

Newpylong

Somehow I got talked into buying a brand new pair of Technica Race Pro Diablo 130's a couple of years ago. I have always been a racer, so I wanted something that would perform. Unfortunately, these are the most uncomfortable things you could ever imagine. I ended up going back to my old boots for the remainder of last year.

Can anyone recommend a decent performing yet comfortable boot? I have used Technica, Lange, and Nordica in the past... I guess price isn't so much a deal, as they all are steep nowadays...

Also, any ideas where I can sell the Technicas? Do shops buy any equipment?

Thanks all,

wa-loaf

Somehow I got talked into buying a brand new pair of Technica Race Pro Diablo 130's a couple of years ago. I have always been a racer, so I wanted something that would perform. Unfortunately, these are the most uncomfortable things you could ever imagine. I ended up going back to my old boots for the remainder of last year.

Can anyone recommend a decent performing yet comfortable boot? I have used Technica, Lange, and Nordica in the past... I guess price isn't so much a deal, as they all are steep nowadays...

Also, any ideas where I can sell the Technicas? Do shops buy any equipment?

Thanks all,

Just sell your boots on eBay unless you have a ski swap happening near you. You could probably trade them in to some shops, but you'll get more money selling them.

As far as new boots, look for the expert freeride boots. They are just as performance oriented as race boots, but are a little more upright, slightly softer and have more comfortable liners. If you like Nordica check out the Supercharger Blower or if you can find any left last years Hot Rods Top Fuels (exactly the same, I think the supercharger has a slightly plusher liner). I bought the Hot Rods last spring, so I don't have any skiing experience with them yet, but everything so far is very positive. Not so familiar with what the other co's have out. Solomon Falcon 10 has had good reviews.

bigbog

NP,
What was it about the boot that attacked you...? Too tight over the instep, too tight toebox...or overall lack of width..? Really have to go small in Technica's shell size...can't tell you how many threads I've read where the issue was simply too big a boot.

$.01,
Steve

CapeSkier

Just bought a new pair of Salomon Mission 10. With I think 90 flex. Lovin' em...I finally found a boot I can fit my hamhock feet into, and the stacks actually buckle up. They fit and feel great. I should have bought Salomons years ago.

lloyd braun

Newpy,

I went from 15 years in Technica to the Saloman Falcon 10.

Amazing boot fairly stiff (110) and comfortable. The only adjustment I had done was to the ramp angle. They are low volume so a custom footbed will be needed.

good luck

YardSaleDad

Website
www.tirnalong.com
Can anyone recommend a decent performing yet comfortable boot?

Each person's foot is different, and you should start with a shell appropriate for your foot type. I ended up with a Salomon Xwave 10 because of my need for some extreme canting on one foot, foot shape, and skiing style. I love it, but for some people it would be a miserable boot. Get thee to a boot fitter. It is so worth it.

RISkier

Each person's foot is different, and you should start with a shell appropriate for your foot type. I ended up with a Salomon Xwave 10 because of my need for some extreme canting on one foot, foot shape, and skiing style. I love it, but for some people it would be a miserable boot. Get thee to a boot fitter. It is so worth it.

The "get thee to a boot fitter" would be my advice. What'll work well for you is completely dependent on your feet, your lower legs, your stance, etc. A great boot for one person may be completely wrong for the next. A good fitter can examine your feet and pick out a couple of boots with shells that are appropriate, then shell fit, and you can go from there instead of trying on every boot in the store.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
The "get thee to a boot fitter" would be my advice. What'll work well for you is completely dependent on your feet, your lower legs, your stance, etc. A great boot for one person may be completely wrong for the next. A good fitter can examine your feet and pick out a couple of boots with shells that are appropriate, then shell fit, and you can go from there instead of trying on every boot in the store.

I'd have to agree with RISkier, especially if you say price is not a factor as they are all steep. I used to ski on stiff race boots and my feet would hurt for days after I skied. So, I finally went to a very good bootfitter 2 or 3 years ago now and ended up with a pair of Nordica Speedmachine... 12's I think. (They made them in varying degrees of stiffness hence the numbers). The boots are still very, very comfortable. Makes skiing so much more enjoyable and I get as much performance out of them as I need and frankly did on my old race boots.

Newpylong

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking but these things are miserable. Feet hurts a long time after I am done skiing. Any recommendations for boot fitters in the Boston area???

Thanks for the great advice all...

wa-loaf

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking but these things are miserable. Feet hurts a long time after I am done skiing. Any recommendations for boot fitters in the Boston area???

Thanks for the great advice all...

Have you thought about heading up to Concord? Jeff's a really good guy and the drive is just about an hour. I've never been, but these guys are the only Mass shop on bootfitters.com: http://www.skistopmass.com/. I'm sure there are other good boot fitters in MA someone else might be able to reccomend.