• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Appalachian Mountain Club OPEN HOUSE - Mountain Forest Plan

Charlie Schuessler

The Appalachian Mountain Club is having an OPEN HOUSE to view the Mountain Forest Plan at their Boston Headquarters.

The draft White Mountain Forest Plan will affect your experience in the Whites Mountains for the next 15 years, but do you know what it says?

The AMC will have a White Mountain Open House on Thursday, November 4th from 4:30 - 8 p.m. right here in Boston. Along with staff from the U.S. Forest Service to answer questions about the draft White Mountain Forest Plan.

The Open House will be at AMC Cabot Auditorium at 4 Joy Street - right on Beacon Hill within easy walking distance from Park Street T stop and the Boston Common Parking Garage.

The White Mountain Forest Plan will determine whether more Wildernesses is allocated in the White Mountain National Forest - and whether ATV’s will be allowed in the Whites - so it's very important that you make your voice heard. Stop by at any point to talk to Forest Service Staff, examine maps, learn more about the plan, and make comments. Refreshments will be served. Email conservation@outdoors.org for details.

This interests me enough that I believe I will be there.

MtnMagic

If one can not make it to the open house, you can request a CD with the maps and all the info on it.

In the November issue of AMC Outdoors there is a 4 page postcard for sending your views to the planning team.

Sky posted this important 15 year plan a month and a half ago on this site here.

To send comments or get the CD, the address is :
Forest Plan Revision
White Mountain National Forest
719 Main Street
Laconia, NH 03246

This is so important that all should get involved. Don't wait another minute!!

MtnMagic

I just picked up the maps and cd. It'll take a while to read though it all.

Here are further details:

A free copy of the maps and a cd detailing the alternate plans can be found at the WMNF Ranger Stations or call the WMNF Supervisor's office 603.528.8721 to receive a map and cd in the mail.

Also read it online at:
http://www.outdoors.org/conservation/wmnf/ http://www.outdoors.org/conservation/wmnf/factsheet.cfm
AMC's official viewpoint
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/white/3_WM_...roposed_plan/pdf_documents/open_me_first.html

On Monday Nov. 1 at the Androscoggin Ranger Station on Rte 16 Gorham, a team from the WMNF will be there from 2-7 pm to answer all questions.

You may send written comments to: Forest Planner, WMNF, 719 Main St, Laconia NH 03246. Email: wmnfplan@fs.fed.us. Questions? Call Barbara Levesque 603.528.8743

The forest stakeholders comment period ends on December 16th. It is important to voice your opinions