• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Late October Snowmaking?

Greg

Staff member
Weather.com is providing elevation forecasts now? Ha ha ha. Newsflash, snowman: a weather.com forecast "for Sugarloaf" IS Kingfield.

Nice try. This is your "proof" that I "hold Accuweather up like the holy grail over the weather.com forecast?" Weak.

The point of them blowing around the clock is simply to keep the system primed so that start up doesn't take as long the next night. During the day they would have to retreat to 5-10 old style guns near the peak to blow a very small amount of snow. It's not really for daytime production. They don't have daytime temps to make meaningfull amounts of snow. I think i've heard it takes 60 good hours to get something off the Superquad covered. That's about all they're going to get looking at this forecast, and if it's going to get warm thereafter, they could lose it before anyone even gets to ski it because it would also be thin.

Well, they made a stab at it last year in early November. And again, Boyne would love nothing more than to open early so my guess is they go for it again.

snowman

Nice try. This is your "proof" that I "hold Accuweather up like the holy grail over the weather.com forecast?" Weak.

Well, they made a stab at it last year in early November. And again, Boyne would love nothing more than to open early so my guess is they go for it again.

Well, when you diss weather.com forecasts and post accuweathers...what else is one to think?

Yes, they did take a stab at it last year and lost the whole thing. I've seen them do this repeatedly. Someone defined insanity here a week or 2 ago....

Greg

Staff member
Way too many things come into play that I don't have the facts to make a good guess.

Suglarloaf might be a better choice cause crowds would be lower on limited terrain. If temps are equal Sr would open faster and be a better place to make money.

The problem is at least with me is I don't know what factors are involved with making a descion.

Both look like the temps would allow snow to be made maybe even enough for early openings.

My guess is it would happen mid week not on a weekend unless is was like veterans day weekend when more lodging packages could be sold. I would not be surpised to see the North east pass explained on the same day one place opens to increase marketing value.

I beilieve we will get an early opening, party casue they seem to care about the die hards, but more for marketing value( look what our pass got you... and those who have not bought one might be more inclinded to do so.)

The temps are not the only deciding factor.

If it was an oct opening like this weekend I would have said the Loaf just cause of the evevation temp.

My bet as it was from the beginning is SR will open 1st. Its a race with money spent being taken into account.

I agree with a lot of this, Bob. Aligning a Boyne mountain opening with the New England pass on sale announcement is an interesting thought.

snowman

So..? Which is it? :dunce:

There are not 60 good hours between now and next Friday. A good hour is anything sub 22 with RH of 70 or less or Sub 20 with RH of 90 or less. If they're lucky, they might have 30 good hours between now and then.

Greg

Staff member
There are not 60 good hours between now and next Friday. A good hour is anything sub 22 with RH of 70 or less or Sub 20 with RH of 90 or less. If they're lucky, they might have 30 good hours between now and then.

Like I said before; back pedaling:

maddox1.jpg

Vortex

I think it was Spinmaster (K) from K last year that said 60 hours of snowmaking needed to get open in marginal conditions. 36 to 48 round the clock in good snow making conditions. Don't have the post in front of me. I think we all think we know more than we do.:razz: When one place is open and i'm making turns I'lll know who was right and who was wrong and maybe why.... when the facts come out.:idea: JimG loves this talk I can hear him know. :beer:

snowman

Like I said before; back pedaling:

maddox1.jpg

Your background is law isn't it? You're going to be one of these lawyers that comes out thinking he's got something, makes a big production of it, and it ends up with it thrown back in his face with a 10 word statement... making him simply look dumb for not understanding what everyone else already understood in the first place. I actually made "that guy" cry in court when he lost to me representing myself. He gave up law shortly after that and is now our minister of defense. Yikes!

Greg

Staff member
Your background is law isn't it? You're going to be one of these lawyers that comes out thinking he's got something, makes a big production of it, and it ends up with it thrown back in his face with a 10 word statement... making him simply look dumb for not understanding what everyone else already understood in the first place. I actually made "that guy" cry in court when he lost to me representing myself. He gave up law shortly after that and is now our minister of defense. Yikes!

Law? No. What makes you think that?

Yeah. You really showed me here... :roll:

snowman

I think it was Spinmaster (K) from K last year that said 60 hours of snowmaking needed to get open in marginal conditions. 36 to 48 round the clock in good snow making conditions. Don't have the post in front of me. I think we all think we know more than we do.:razz: When one place is open and i'm making turns I'lll know who was right and who was wrong and maybe why.... when the facts come out.:idea: JimG loves this talk I can hear him know. :beer:

I'll get this out of the way now. All my statements in this post have been in reference to SR and the Loaf. When/if someone else scoops them, I don't want to hear any ha ha ha...snowman you were wrong crap, because I'm not speaking about anywhere else. Thanks to Greg, the magical lawyer, I have to make these legal style disclosures in advance now and speak in dumbese so nothing I say can be twisted....

Greg

Staff member
Thanks to Greg, the magical lawyer, I have to make these legal style disclosures in advance now and speak in dumbese so nothing I say can be twisted....

Again, not a lawyer. Not sure where you're getting that from. You're simply wrong.........again.

snowman

K also has a lot more power than the Loaf, and not nearly as far to cover. As I said, I think the loaf needs 60 GOOD hours (sub 20 RH weighted). Marginal hours? Jeeze, they might never get open.. as it would be melting on one end as fast as they're blowing it on the other.

snowman

Again, not a lawyer. Not sure where you're getting that from. You're simply wrong.........again.

What do you do? I thought you stated somewhere here a while ago that you were in law school.

Vortex

I was only briging in what a rep stated in a public forum in relation to how long it takes to open.

I think it will be a boyne resort also that will open 1st.. I could see how I confused it a bit with bringing in a k statement, not my intention.. (sorry) I get your point

I think attitash and Mt snow will follow. If elevation was not a factor. I think it would be a tighter race. I know I could be wrong..

snowman

I was only briging in what a rep stated in a public forum in relation to how long it takes to open.

I think it will be a boyne resort also that will open 1st.. I could see how I confused it a bit with bringing in a k statement, not my intention.. (sorry) I get your point

I think attitash and Mt snow will follow. If elevation was not a factor. I think it would be a tighter race. I know I could be wrong..

No no, I wasn't countering your point. It was a good point. I think you likely recall the numbers for K correctly. I was simply pointing out how that relates to the Loaf. It actually makes it easier for one to understand that the superquad can not be covered in 3 or 4 so-so nights. Doesn't anyone remember the events of years past? It takes a LONG time to cover off the Superquad.

snowman

IT. You're thinking thetrailboss probably.

OK, sorry. You are correct there, that IS who I was thinking of. You confused me in to thinking it HAD to be you with your soundbyte legal style arguments designed only to decieve. You redheads all look the same to me :razz:

Vortex

One point not taken into account is the new pumps at the loaf. One we don't know how much of a difference they will make and if the intention is to show them off. Still going with the river here.

Greg

Staff member
No no, I wasn't countering your point. It was a good point. I think you likely recall the numbers for K correctly. I was simply pointing out how that relates to the Loaf. It actually makes it easier for one to understand that the superquad can not be covered in 3 or 4 so-so nights. Doesn't anyone remember the events of years past? It takes a LONG time to cover off the Superquad.

They can do it in 3 round the clock days. I'm not sure they will have that, but with some additional cold nights in there, I still think that a Friday or weekend opening is possible. Attitash probably has the best shot out of all of them given this window and their new fan guns though. Tough call. Gonna be an interesting couple of weeks in any case.