• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Late October Snowmaking?

snowman

I think attitash and Mt snow will follow. If elevation was not a factor. I think it would be a tighter race. I know I could be wrong..

You might be right...on the Attitash part atleast anyway. It will be interesting to see what the latest in fangun technology can do in so so temps. I haven't really studied them in depth in marginal conditions. I know they do wonders with them down in NC etc in marginal conditions. That's why all my statements have revolved arounf the loaf and the river....I know the locations, I know what they have, and I know exactly what they are capable of.

Vortex

SR can down load and just use Locke mtn.
Rumors I heard were T2 to start. No need to have melting snow issues at the base. Someone earned dollars by thinking last year.

All I care is we have two new players pushing each other. If one place beats the other.... I still end up making early turns.

snowman

One point not taken into account is the new pumps at the loaf. One we don't know how much of a difference they will make and if the intention is to show them off. Still going with the river here.

The main point of the booster project was to boost water PSI on the upper mountain, which is mostly to increase production capability with the Low E guns in winter temps. It will help the regular guns a bit in so-so conditions, but not dramatically.

deadheadskier

Staff member
:argue:

You are just the most awful internet personality I've come across in awhile.

Q4T

He's like Rush Limbaugh's kid Canadian brother. Come to think of it, that's probably why people (myself at times included) feel compelled to argue with him. Just like Rush, he's a braggart and his opinions are so over the top, people can't help themselves from trying to put him down. Truly mind boggling stuff - legendary

Greg

Staff member
You might be right...on the Attitash part atleast anyway. It will be interesting to see what the latest in fangun technology can do in so so temps. I haven't really studied them in depth in marginal conditions. I know they do wonders with them down in NC etc in marginal conditions.

My only concern about Attitash is the lack of elevation, but they have the latitude over Mount Snow and their forecast looks good. Tim Boyd suggest we should keep an eye on Illusion which is T2B fans. First to open with T2B terrain could be a great way to start the Peak Resorts season. It's nice to have some new players in the game this year.

snowman

They can do it in 3 round the clock days. I'm not sure they will have that, but with some additional cold nights in there, I still think that a Friday or weekend opening is possible. Attitash probably has the best shot out of all of them given this window and their new fan guns though. Tough call. Gonna be an interesting couple of weeks in any case.

No, they won't, I'm afriad, they're not real around the clock days. The only reason they will have to keep the system running thru the day is to not have to bother rolling thru the shut down and start up procedures. It will likely be a coin toss which to do. In the past, they've usually choosen to leave a few guns bleading air and water at the top whenever possible, but it doesn't add anything to the production total...they're pumping just a few gallons a minute each with a pile of air to keep it from raining out.

snowman

My only concern about Attitash is the lack of elevation, but they have the latitude over Mount Snow and their forecast looks good. Tim Boyd suggest we should keep an eye on Illusion which is T2B fans. First to open with T2B terrain could be a great way to start the Peak Resorts season. It's nice to have some new players in the game this year.

Well, I would have thought so too, but, the River has/had a better forecast than the Loaf, and Attitash is more on a level with the River than the loaf. Time to check Bartlett NH Accuweather....

snowman

Sigh, Weather.com still says it's not even going to freeze at Attitash, The Loaf, or The River right thru Nov 2. :-( How can the 2 forecasts be so far apart????

Greg

Staff member
No, they won't, I'm afriad, they're not real around the clock days. The only reason they will have to keep the system running thru the day is to not have to bother rolling thru the shut down and start up procedures. It will likely be a coin toss which to do. In the past, they've usually choosen to leave a few guns bleading air and water at the top whenever possible, but it doesn't add anything to the production total...they're pumping just a few gallons a minute each with a pile of air to keep it from raining out.

Okay. You obviously are the expert here with your whopping four years of industry experience. I'm just speaking from the perspective of observer with no snowmaking credentials to back anything up so my opinions obviously hold very little value.

Anyway, they made a run at it in early November last year which is what I'm basing my prediction on; that, and this year, more than any other, there's a race to be first to open. Whether or not it all washes away and if it's worth it at any level is another discussion.

Greg

Staff member
Sigh, Weather.com still says it's not even going to freeze at Attitash, The Loaf, or The River right thru Nov 2. :-( How can the 2 forecasts be so far apart????

Average them and then throw both away... ;)

The NWS is calling for lows in the 20's for Bartlett starting on Sunday night. The 7-Day NWS is about as far out as I would put any real faith in. I still like what Accuweather is saying better though...

Highway Star

K also has a lot more power than the Loaf, and not nearly as far to cover. As I said, I think the loaf needs 60 GOOD hours (sub 20 RH weighted). Marginal hours? Jeeze, they might never get open.. as it would be melting on one end as fast as they're blowing it on the other.

Wow...wrong again. How could one man know so little about so much?

drjeff

The other "bad" thing with all these forcasts and retrospectively looking back at last year, is that until the cold air stright off the North Pole showed up in Mid January, most of the "cold snaps" we had took longer for the cold air to move into the Northeast than originally forcasted and also when it got here it wasn't as cold as the longer range models had suggested.

I'm as eager as anyone to hit the hill, but until mother nature cooperates I think I'll just make the best of the temps and watch some football, play a few more rounds of golf and get a solid start on the x-mas shopping so I won't have to eliminate any hill time closer to x-mas.

snowman

Bartlett has pretty much the same Accuweather forecast as Bethel. If that comes true, we might get to see fan guns vs. a/w in real time. I think if the River just covers something off Barker, they have less distance to cover than Attitash? It's been a while since I've been at Attitash...can we get an expert comparison of trail distance and elevation? T2 vs Illusion? Now, you guys are considering the accuweathers are town forecasts, and dropping 5 degrees for the mountain. The Weather.com forecasts are supposed to be site specific forecasts. If we take all of that into account, there seems to be a 20 degree despairity between Accuwether and Weather.com. What the?!?!

snowman

Average them and then throw both away... ;)

The NWS is calling for lows in the 20's for Bartlett starting on Sunday night. The 7-Day NWS is about as far out as I would put any real faith in. I still like what Accuweather is saying better though...

I don't want to even average them...if I do, it's back to nothing happening again. Accuweather has to pretty much come true precisely for anything exciting to happen. :-(

Greg

Staff member
can we get an expert comparison of trail distance and elevation? T2 vs Illusion?

I'm certainly no expert and I've never skied either mountain, but based on Google Earth, Illusion is about 1 mile long with a summit and base elevation of ~2,080' and 680' respectively. Not sure where SR usually goes after T2. Maybe Cascades? In any event it will likely also end up being about 1 mile with a summit/base of ~2,560'/1,150'. Two pretty comparable runs it appears.

I'm certainly no expert and I've never skied either mountain, but based on Google Earth, Illusion is about 1 mile long with a summit and base elevation of ~2,080' and 680' respectively. Not sure where SR usually goes after T2. Maybe Cascades? In any event it will likely also end up being about 1 mile with a summit/base of ~2,560'/1,150'. Two pretty comparable runs it appears.
SR could go to Cascades, Sunday Punch, or just stop at the mid station on the Locke triple and only offer T2 with downloading...they've done all three variations in the past...sometimes its the Barker quad that'll open first, other times T2 mid station and up. I'd say its all in the air now with new owners.

Upgrayedd

Hey you guys are from New England, you should know that the rule is 2 day forecasts should be considered, 4 day should be acknowledged, and anything else is just wild speculation! Unless its a really really short term forecast I\'d say forget it :)

THINK SNOW! :)

Greg

Staff member
Hey you guys are from New England, you should know that the rule is 2 day forecasts should be considered, 4 day should be acknowledged, and anything else is just wild speculation! Unless its a really really short term forecast I\'d say forget it :)

THINK SNOW! :)

No......only long term forecasts that are not favorable should be ignored... ;)

Wow has this thread progressed while I was at work...I need to grab a beer when I get home and catch up on this...wowser...AZ rules and frosty still doesn't know about snowmaking..lol