• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Clueless Newbie Alert - How do I know what I need / want?

bigbog

...great advice all.....

W,
As mentioned, that shell-fit is the #1 test... Learn about what type of foot-volume you possess...heel, ankle size...high or low mtn_peak over your instep, what width forefoot....etc.

$.01...for some education into the fun, technical aspects of skiing...Ron LeMaster's "The Skier's Edge" is the best $20 you'll ever spend..(just my $.01)...there are other great books, but this is a pretty good start.
One can also learn by observing fluid skiers coming down the trails with the ability to maintain great balance.
Skiing the view/terrain well is pretty enjoyable....I think you'll find that after a while...you won't be concerned with how many skiers pass you...or how many you pass...
NewEngland offers a lot of varied terrain...and is a lot of fun...outside of the race course.

$.01

Last edited:

wa-loaf

There are also a few of us who ski nights at Wachusett regularly. So once the season gets going there'll be plenty of opportunities to meet up some nights.

Sky

There are also a few of us who ski nights at Wachusett regularly. So once the season gets going there'll be plenty of opportunities to meet up some nights.

Good call Loafer...I was about to say the same thing.

W...elcome to the forum and best of luck hunting for gear. Boots first (as stated above) and poles wherever you can find them (sized per previous posts)....and if you're skiing @ Wa, I'd recommend demo-ing from the Mountainside Shop. They typically prep several categories of skis (various ability ranges and lengths) and for short money ($35?) you can demo two maybe three pair in a night. Sure that's an expensive way to ski for the entire season (and I'm not recommending you "demo" for the entire season), but at least you have a chance at finding a ski you like underfoot.

Regardless, welcome to the sport and to the forum...see you @ Wa.

Sky

Hawkshot99

I'd recommend demo-ing from the Mountainside Shop. They typically prep several categories of skis (various ability ranges and lengths) and for short money ($35?) you can demo two maybe three pair in a night. Sure that's an expensive way to ski for the entire season (and I'm not recommending you "demo" for the entire season), but at least you have a chance at finding a ski you like underfoot.

Sky

For a good intermediate on up I agree with you 100%. For a person that has only skied on rentals, and not real knowledgeable of skis I wouldn't waste the money, unless you are getting from the shop you demoed, and they will remove the demo price from a sale. The reason i say this, is that unless you know what you are feeling for you wont be able to tell the difference between similar skis. You could tell the difference between a race ski and a park ski, but two competing skis, not gonna happen.

Find a good higher intermediate ski and use the things. When you are ready for skis after them, then start demoing.

-------
For a recommendation I might consider a pair of Rossignal Z3's. A real fun ski for skiing hard, but still great for a intermediate.

bigbog

just get outside with proper clothing...

...get some boots on and rent a pair of skis...and see if it works.

Instead of the idiotic rambling...I should've said this in the beginning.