• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where do you get your weather forecast and why?

Where do you get your weather forecast?

• Weather.com

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • AccuWeather.com

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • National Weather Service

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Local TV News

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other - Please explain

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters

Grassi21

Just as the title of the thread says...

Where do you get your weather forecast from? Why do you feel its the best option for you?

Grassi21

D'oh. Can a mod add an "s" at the end of Local TV New? :oops: Thanks

Greg

Staff member
NOAA. Free, unbiased and realistic 7 day forecasts. I like the ability to adjust for elevation using the point forecast. The area forecast discussions are very useful when a weather event is imminent or upon us.

Accuweather and other long range forecasts are fun to look at, but I don't put a lot of credence in them; unless it's a positive forecast, of course. ;)

The local TV mets here in CT are pretty good, especially Dr. Mel (WTNH). I trust his short term forecasts for the immediate area.

Grassi21

I'm a NOAA fan as well. Same reason as Greg, adjusting for elevation.

Zand

NOAA for short term, easternuswx.com for long term. Accuweather for a laugh and maybe some hope. Wunderground for the radar. Weather.com to comment on how stupid they are there especially now with Paul Kocin gone and Greg Forbes seemingly appearing less every year. All they have left pretty much is Jim Cantore.

ctenidae

NOAA. I'm already paying for it, and I don't have to deal with ads.
I avoid Accuweather because Rick Santorum is a schmuck.

(sorry if that crosses a political line...)

I always used to use www.wxusa.com
I also like accuweather.com because there's alot of content and it keeps hourly, daily, and monthly stats. noaa.gov is also good and I used to always look at the Northeast Regional Climate center webpage. Scott Doppler 2k Braatans forecast on First Tracks Online and the Ski Vermont discussion list are mad steezy yo...he learned from the best including Vermont State Climotologist and UVM professor Lesliet-Ann Dupigny-Giroux,,,I got a B in her Weather and Climate class. Wow I remember the dark ages before I got the internet in 1993 when I counted on the weather channel and local news stations...the days of waiting until the 11:00PM news for updated snow totals are over..

Zand

Weather channel is pissing me off even more right now... do they really need to take 10 minutes every hour to go over the tropics this time of year? I could see if there was a storm, but damn, there hasn't been anything since early-mid September.

bvibert

Staff member
www.wunderground.com

Don't know why, it just seems cool. I also try to catch the weather on the news at night or in the morning, but I usually don't have time. The weather people are a bit hard to stomach sometimes though, like when they're happy about warm weather when it should be cold, or when they're unhappy about snow coming... :roll:

campgottagopee

I voted other. I find the " Indian Weather Rock " to be the most accurate of any forcast I've ever seen. It's free too!!!!

1. IF ROCK IS WET...... IT IS RAINING

2. IF ROCK IS WHITE...... IT IS SNOWING

3. IF ROCK IS MOVING BACK AND FORTH..... IT IS WINDY

4. IF ROCK IS HARD TO SEE...... IT IS FOGGY

5. IF ROCK IS CASTING A SHADOW...... IT IS SUNNY

6. IF ROCK IS COLD TO THE TOUCH....... IT IS COLD

7. IF ROCK IS WARM TO THE TOUCH...... IT IS WARM

"OLD INDIAN NEVER WRONG"
:spread:

I voted other. I find the " Indian Weather Rock " to be the most accurate of any forcast I've ever seen. It's free too!!!!

1. IF ROCK IS WET...... IT IS RAINING

2. IF ROCK IS WHITE...... IT IS SNOWING

3. IF ROCK IS MOVING BACK AND FORTH..... IT IS WINDY

4. IF ROCK IS HARD TO SEE...... IT IS FOGGY

5. IF ROCK IS CASTING A SHADOW...... IT IS SUNNY

6. IF ROCK IS COLD TO THE TOUCH....... IT IS COLD

7. IF ROCK IS WARM TO THE TOUCH...... IT IS WARM

"OLD INDIAN NEVER WRONG"
:spread:

ahahahahahaahahaha

montvm

Mount Washington High Summits for hiking....

Otherwise Yahoo weather or weather channel work for me

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
All of the above, plus some locals. All online, no tv for us. I like to sift through the forecasts and combine that with what I see on the various doppler radar images to determine what information I/we find relevent or likely. Mind you this is just during the summer and mostly short range (15 minutes to 2 days).

What for? My plant manager and I are usually the ones pulling the trigger for paving jobs when weather is in question. Everyone in the field comes to us at the plant (where we have instant access to more weather info every day) to get the lowdown on the clouds in the distance, or if it will rain tomorrow. We have to provide go/no-go decisions where the risk of being wrong costs us and our subcontractors lots of money, sometimes in the 5 figure range. Keep that in mind when you're on the fence about the weekend skiing forecast. :wink: