• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

11/04 - Hiking - Twins/Galehead

MtnMagic

We'll meet at 8 am on Thursday at the Gale River trailhead, carspot and drive to the North Twin Trail lot.

This is a strenuous day hike of 12 miles with an elevation gain of 3900'. Winter gear, face masks, gloves, etc essential. Lots of wind and views on South Twin!

S

skimom

I'll see you there at 8am !!

Looking forward to it.

Oh, and I'll bring the oatmeal raisinette cookies for some good trail energy.
:)

SilentCal

Don't forget the treats for Ghostdog! Hey Magic, I thought you hated the Gale River Trail. :roll: Don't forget the other outlook on North Twin. You'll be able to see where we sat on Garfield for three hours. Enjoy the day guys!

MtnMagic

I Don't mind descending it. It's the climb up that isn't my favorite. I'd rather climb up to North Twin.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I wish I could go, but I've got one more followup commitment this Saturday as best man for my friends who just got married.

I'm going through mountain withdrawal!!!

MtnMagic

Hey there Michael. Great to read you've posted. Thought you went off and got married or something. Mountain withdrawal I see, yes its been a while.

You hiking in the Whites soon? Perhaps next weekend? I've a great one planned, its just 3 mountains!

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Thought you went off and got married or something.

LoL! I'm still in the "becoming a boyfriend" stage right now. :D

Next weekend I hope to hike. I'm supposed to join a friend on her 48th, though, and don't know the final plans for that yet. Hopefully I will soon.

MtnMagic

I believe I can hike during the week with a group! I'm looking for lotsa views and a day of fun! Let's go on a hike!!

How about hiking during the beginning of the week, mid week, and on the weekends. What more could anyone want? Anyone/everyone want to join in? I hike in most conditions!

TeleGrrrl

Solon, Maine. Avatar: Mule Skinner, Saddleback, ME
Moriah via AT either Thursday or Friday

I'm considering hiking Moriah via the AT either thurs or fri if anyone is interested. I was going to consult the forecast before I made a concrete decision. I think the hike is around 6-8 miles RT. I 'm at work, so I don't have my collection of trail maps available.

If it looks like rain I won't go this time of year. Too much danger of hypothermia.

tg

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
The AT is the long way up Moriah. You're thinking Rattle River to Kenduskeag to the summit? That's a long haul, at least I thought. You may enjoy going up Stony Brook (which I've also done) more.

Ah- nevermind. You're section-hiking. I understand, that's how I ended up on that trail myself!
:D