• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

COMMENTS ABOUT EXISTING PRODUCTS?

D

designer

Hey!! I´m studying fashion designing and right now i have a big course about sport equipments going on( and sorry, my mother language is wayyy from english so this is a bit hard to try to explain..:). we are in particular consentrating on extreme sports, and how to create an INNOVATIVE, FUNCTIONAL clothing line to EXTREME WINTER CONDITIONS. My topic is SNOWSHOEING and specially from the point of view of people who are more EXPERIENCED about it. I have never tried snowshoeing myself, so i would be really thankful for all kind of information from you!! all necessary gear, not just about clothing!i know that wind- and water resistantance in materials is important, +ventilation possibilities, but what about the products that are already in the market?good and bad characteristics? have u noticed some problems which haven´t been solved proberly yet? it´s really hard, for me, to know how the already existing products REALLY work, designers rarely do, but you do! Any kind of comments and maybe even ideas for product development are welcome!! thanks in advance!!

thetrailboss

Staff member
designer said:
Hey!! I´m studying fashion designing and right now i have a big course about sport equipments going on( and sorry, my mother language is wayyy from english so this is a bit hard to try to explain..:). we are in particular consentrating on extreme sports, and how to create an INNOVATIVE, FUNCTIONAL clothing line to EXTREME WINTER CONDITIONS. My topic is SNOWSHOEING and specially from the point of view of people who are more EXPERIENCED about it. I have never tried snowshoeing myself, so i would be really thankful for all kind of information from you!! all necessary gear, not just about clothing!i know that wind- and water resistantance in materials is important, +ventilation possibilities, but what about the products that are already in the market?good and bad characteristics? have u noticed some problems which haven´t been solved proberly yet? it´s really hard, for me, to know how the already existing products REALLY work, designers rarely do, but you do! Any kind of comments and maybe even ideas for product development are welcome!! thanks in advance!!

Hello Designer.

I am an avid snowshoer of about 12 years and it really depends on what you mean by "snowshoeing" since there is long distance snowshoeing (essentially winter backpacking), day trip snowshoeing, and snowshoe running.

For the first two, ventalation is key as is wicking capabilities. Usually, depending on the temps, regular fleece on the outside works great, but if it is cold or windy, then a windproof layer is a must. Much like regular hiking, weight is key and lighter is better since snowshoeing is a very demanding sport and one does not want to be too warm when doing it. Gaiters are a must as are warm and waterproof boots and pants since modern snowshoes kick snow onto you. Older snowshoes also give you some floatation, but don't think that you will be walking on water with them :wink:

As for running, weight is also key and most people wear lycra or spandex pants, sneakers/"trainers" (as opposed to boots) and lighter fleece tops and hats because of the workout. In this case, one rarely breaks trail and runs on groomed trails, so they do not have to be prepared for deep snow.

Cold is only an issue if it is VERY frigid and/or if one is going to be out for extended amounts of time. Frost bite and hypothermia can occur if one gets wet (from either snow or sweat) or from long exposure.

As for fabrics? Well, fleece, Gore Tex (or some other waterproof/breathable fabric), Windstopper/Windpro fabric, polypro, etc.

Great features include waterbottle holders in the jackets, pitzips, lots of pockets, vent pockets, light fabric, mitts/glove that are light and wick well, pants that don't get caught on trees/debris, pants that do not let snow up inside your boots, etc. etc.

PM me for more specs since I have to run now! Good luck! :D

MtnMagic

I like fleece in the winter and I feel goretex is not waterproof after 2-3 days in the rain, water bleeds through. Also I firmly believe in the layer system. My winter jacket has 3 layers: fleece, down, and a wind breaker-type shell. Works perfect at a very -40 below here in the mountains. (Thankfully!)

Trailboss pretty much covered it all. btw: PM means send a private message.
Maybe some of the others will chime in on their expeditions to Denali, K-2, the Materhorn and such. Good luck to you!