• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

World Championships This Century:

ComeBackMudPuddles

I'd think that in late 1800's even baseball players in N. America had some hints that there probably were other countries in the world. To claim that a competition is at a world level, by the very definition of the word "world", it must be inclusive of the rest of the world. It obviously wasn't then nor is now.

I can understand how a name can stick and be far form accurate. In the same train of thought I chucle at the term "Miss Universe".

LOL.

I see you're living in Boston. You must be a real popular guy in those parts these days!

:flag:

Bumpsis

As much as soccer's "World Cup" is really just for Euro countries and their former colonies. LOL.

The World Series is for the best players in the world to compete in, every year.

Soccer is more popular worldwide and football is more popular in the U.S., but neither sport is nearly as good as baseball (even when the Red Sox win the World Series).

Are you actually trying to compare baseball to soccer???
Mind you, soccer is actually a sport :)

I'd classify baseball to more of game, sort of like lawn darts or horse shoe throwing, but with much more chewing and spitting.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I'd think that in late 1800's even baseball players in N. America had some hints that there probably were other countries in the world. To claim that a competition is at a world level, by the very definition of the word "world", it must be inclusive of the rest of the world. It obviously wasn't then nor is now.

I can understand how a name can stick and be far form accurate. In the same train of thought I chucle at the term "Miss Universe".

1) I never once claimed baseball players in North America in the late 1800's were not aware that other countries existed elsewhere in the world.

2) If baseball was a game played only in North America in a given time period (and I'd say the leagues in the late 1800's knew conclusively that it was), then a championship inclusive of all teams in North America is, ipso facto, a championship inclusive of all teams in the world.

You'd better get used to outdated nomenclature, it's all over this country. The race cars used in NASCAR series like Nextel Cup and Busch are still referred to often times as "stock cars" even though they couldn't be further from the "stock" models they represent.

Also, states south of the Mason Dixon line are still sore about losing the Civil War, often still referred to by them as "the War of Northern Aggression."