• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

World Championships This Century:

Hawkshot99

Red Sox 2
Yankees 0

Hate to break it to you but the Yanks have won this century....2000. That is this century.

P.S. I hate the Yankees. I take that back, I don't hate the Yanks, I hate their fans. Go METS!

And congrats Boston.

twinplanx

Yeah ... let's see if the sox can win like twenty more World Series:(than they and there fans will know what it feels like to be a Yankee.:)

twinplanx

It is good to be a Yankee fan, just figured you guys up there could use a little history lesson this morning. And let I be the one to piss in your boston baked beans

Last edited:

Mike P.

Another season of watching Yankee Classics on YES from the 19_ _ 's or more of Boone's 2003 HR.

At least they dumped Mr. May, hopefully he becomes a Cub or an Angel. The Angels have a 21st century cahampionship already. Glaus may be gone after the Mitchell Investigation so Jay's may need a 3rd Baseman & A-rod loves the toronto nightlife!

Zand

I just hope he doesn't go to the Red Sox. I don't care how good his regular season numbers are because he proved again this year what a worthless piece of sh*t he is in the playoffs.

World Series MVPs this century:

Mike Lowell: 1
A-Rod: 0

ctenidae

Number of countries competing in the World Series: 1 (yeah, and Toronto, but that doesn't get the number much above 1)

Bumpsis

Number of countries competing in the World Series: 1 (yeah, and Toronto, but that doesn't get the number much above 1)

Actually, I was just wondering pricisely about that nomenclature. As a relative outside ( I grew up in Europe), I never got this "World Series" term.
So I've lived in my adopted country long enough to understand that USA likes to see itself as the superlative and bellybutton of the world yet, the term "World Series" is rather presumptuous.

In the real terms of the world, baseball is a rather obscure game practiced (outside US) only by those we conquered or have dominated (Japan, Caribbean Islands), yet even those are not invited to the party as separate contestants. So, what's with "World Series"?

BeanoNYC

Actually, I was just wondering pricisely about that nomenclature. As a relative outside ( I grew up in Europe), I never got this "World Series" term.
So I've lived in my adopted country long enough to understand that USA likes to see itself as the superlative and bellybutton of the world yet, the term "World Series" is rather presumptuous.

In the real terms of the world, baseball is a rather obscure game practiced (outside US) only by those we conquered or have dominated (Japan, Caribbean Islands), yet even those are not invited to the party as separate contestants. So, what's with "World Series"?

I'm not sure of the validity of this but many feel that the name has come from the original championship's sponsor, the New York World. The World was a rag that was owned by Joseph Pulitzer. ...again, I'm sure there's a better explanation but this is widely accepted. I just like to think that the name has "stuck" because players from all over the world play in the MLB.

Extra Information about newspapers at that time:

The NY World and the NY Journal (Owned by William Randolph Hearst) fought for circulation (See the movie "Newsies.") They were responsible for exaggerating stories to sell papers, which helped lead the U.S. into the Spanish American War (Remember the Maine!) The term Yellow Journalism, which by definition refers to sensationalizing news stories, is named because both papers carried a comic strip feature a dimwitted child named "Yellow Kid."

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com

It's not presumptuous (thanks for assuming so) it's just maybe outdated. It was coined in the late 1800's when baseball really was only played in North America. As the game spread to other countries, fifty or sixty some odd years later, I supposed the name stuck, as things tend to after a period of such length. It has now become more like a brand name than a descriptive title.

I'm not sure of the validity of this but many feel that the name has come from the original championship's sponsor, the New York World. The World was a rag that was owned by Joseph Pulitzer. ...again, I'm sure there's a better explanation but this is widely accepted. I just like to think that the name has "stuck" because players from all over the world play in the MLB.

Extra Information about newspapers at that time:

The NY World and the NY Journal (Owned by William Randolph Hearst) fought for circulation (See the movie "Newsies.") They were responsible for exaggerating stories to sell papers, which helped lead the U.S. into the Spanish American War (Remember the Maine!) The term Yellow Journalism, which by definition refers to sensationalizing news stories, is named because both papers carried a comic strip feature a dimwitted child named "Yellow Kid."

According to this source, that stuff's a myth:

http://roadsidephotos.com/baseball/name.htm

ComeBackMudPuddles

As much as soccer's "World Cup" is really just for Euro countries and their former colonies. LOL.

The World Series is for the best players in the world to compete in, every year.

Soccer is more popular worldwide and football is more popular in the U.S., but neither sport is nearly as good as baseball (even when the Red Sox win the World Series).

Bumpsis

It's not presumptuous (thanks for assuming so) it's just maybe outdated. It was coined in the late 1800's when baseball really was only played in North America. As the game spread to other countries, fifty or sixty some odd years later, I supposed the name stuck, as things tend to after a period of such length. It has now become more like a brand name than a descriptive title.

I'd think that in late 1800's even baseball players in N. America had some hints that there probably were other countries in the world. To claim that a competition is at a world level, by the very definition of the word "world", it must be inclusive of the rest of the world. It obviously wasn't then nor is now.

I can understand how a name can stick and be far form accurate. In the same train of thought I chucle at the term "Miss Universe".