• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing Magazine scam

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Here are some URLs I got from doing a Google Search on North Shore Agency...looks like this outfit is trying to scam a lot more than just Skiing subscribers:

http://www.pr-inside.com/lawsuit-alleges-illegal-debt-collection-practices-r113894.htm

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/037/RipOff0037768.htm

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/171/RipOff0171130.htm

Interesting. Bottom line, I will not be doing business with someone that resorts to this kind of practice and am putting this out there so that others are aware of it (that plus boosting my post count)

hammer

Interesting. Bottom line, I will not be doing business with someone that resorts to this kind of practice and am putting this out there so that others are aware of it (that plus boosting my post count)
In any case, thanks for the heads up...I'd be concerned that any of the outfits that I have magazine subscriptions to would sell my information to places like this...

wa-loaf

In any case, thanks for the heads up...I'd be concerned that any of the outfits that I have magazine subscriptions to would sell my information to places like this...

I don't know I'd give Skiing a call. This doesn't seem like a trick renewal letter. I went to that website and it certainly all seems like a real attempt at collection. Either these NSA people are scam artists and Skiing may or may not be aware of what they are doing. Or Skiing may think you owe them money for some reason. You should try to straighten it out with them and if it really is a scam report it to the appropriate organizations.

wa-loaf

Oh, and contact those lawyers with the class actions suit. I'm sure they'd be interested to know the company is still doing the same thing. Hell maybe you even make a few bucks a couple years down the road.

hammer

I don't know I'd give Skiing a call. This doesn't seem like a trick renewal letter. I went to that website and it certainly all seems like a real attempt at collection. Either these NSA people are scam artists and Skiing may or may not be aware of what they are doing. Or Skiing may think you owe them money for some reason. You should try to straighten it out with them and if it really is a scam report it to the appropriate organizations.
I'd say that the NSA (appropriate acronym?) people are scam artists...I'd call the magazine to find out what happened first.

Why would the collection agency just ask for $10 to "settle the claim"?

wa-loaf

Nah, all too much effort. It's no effort to no longer buy the mag.

Yea, but you don't know if these jerks won't report this to the credit bureaus. I'd keep an extra close eye on your credit for awhile.

Dr Skimeister

This is nothing new.
I had the exact experience 3-4 years ago, except it was from SKI magazine. The contact was from the same "collection" agency. I ignored it. I wound up subscribing the following year with no consequence. Never any hint of a blemish on any credit report.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
This is nothing new.
I had the exact experience 3-4 years ago, except it was from SKI magazine. The contact was from the same "collection" agency. I ignored it. I wound up subscribing the following year with no consequence. Never any hint of a blemish on any credit report.

Ski, Skiing, same company.