• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing Magazine scam

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Well that's one less mag I'll be reading. My subscription expired last season, and they started sending me renewal notices. I meant to renew, but never got around to it. Now that the season is about to start I was going to renew this week. Well today I get a letter from a collection agency giving me the following "opportunities":

Opportunity... to settle this account in the amount of $10.00, before further collection activity becomes necessary.

Opportunity...to reinstate your subscription to SKIING MAGAZINE, and to receive the remaining issues in your original subscription order.

What a sleezeball operation, never again.

sledhaulingmedic

I read it, but only because itcomes in my favorite flavor...free. I wouldn't pay for it.

Actually, after about three years of it showing up free, I very perky young lady called one October evening (during dinner, of course (pre-"Do not call" era) and offered me a "Special discounted early renewal rate for our best customers of $XX.XX for 3 years." I politely declined, explaining that that was $XX.XX more than I paid or was willing to pay.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I got that and ski mostly to just look at the pretty pics, didn't really get too much out of either. So, if they want to pull crap like that, adios.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Desparate times call for desparate measures I guess. Both are owned by Time Warner, have been for sale for at least two years. Yea, it's mostly puff but does have exceptional photography and comes with a large desirable readership. I assume the price is too high as to why there has been no takers.

The snowboard mags seem to be doing better which would follow the trend of the last 5 years of increasing riders and declining skiers.

bvibert

Staff member
I also get both Skiing and Ski for free. My wife just started getting a free, unsolicited, copy of one or the other too. Actually now that I think about it I may not get one of them anymore, but they're both pretty much the same so I have a hard time telling them apart...

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I also get both Skiing and Ski for free. My wife just started getting a free, unsolicited, copy of one or the other too. Actually now that I think about it I may not get one of them anymore, but they're both pretty much the same so I have a hard time telling them apart...
Skiing 'tis the one. We're both getting free copies of it now. I'm not even sure why all the sudden I am, but I got something in the mail recently saying I would be receiving a complimentary subscription... and then within the week that followed, I received the Sept & Oct issues (while Brian's Nov issue appeared).

Not that I have time to read anything these days anyway.... But it definitely seems an unfair practice.

wa-loaf

Well that's one less mag I'll be reading. My subscription expired last season, and they started sending me renewal notices. I meant to renew, but never got around to it. Now that the season is about to start I was going to renew this week. Well today I get a letter from a collection agency giving me the following "opportunities":

Opportunity... to settle this account in the amount of $10.00, before further collection activity becomes necessary.

Opportunity...to reinstate your subscription to SKIING MAGAZINE, and to receive the remaining issues in your original subscription order.

What a sleezeball operation, never again.

Was the wording tongue-in-cheek at all? Some marketing kid probably thinks he's a genius for coming up with that one. Hope they track the responses their mailings get, because someone should lose their job over something like that. Maybe not the kid who thought it up, but the marketing manager who approved it.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Was the wording tongue-in-cheek at all? Some marketing kid probably thinks he's a genius for coming up with that one. Hope they track the responses their mailings get, because someone should lose their job over something like that. Maybe not the kid who thought it up, but the marketing manager who approved it.

Not tongue-in-cheek at all, it seems to be deliberitly designed to make it look like you owe them money and if you do not mail it in, actions will be taken against you. Kind of strange that when I called the agency I got an automated message with options such as:

• I never subscribed
  • I have not renewed

hammer

I think that whatever Skiing Magazine is trying to do is against the law...

http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/fraud/merch.htm

Here's a few quotes from the page that IMO apply:
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you open the package and like what you find, you may keep it for free. In this instance, "finders-keepers" applies unconditionally.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Furthermore, it is illegal for a company that sends you unordered merchandise to follow the mailing with a bill or dunning communication.[/FONT]

thetrailboss

Staff member
Just another reason why I am going to end my subscriptions. To be honest, I get better info from here. Ski and Skiing used to be great, individual magazines. If you look at copies from ten years ago or so, you see that they used to have a lot of great articles and some great stuff on New England. Now they are both the same...I've seen many articles appear in both mags...slightly repackaged, but the same damn thing. I've also seen the Eastern sections shrink if not disappear and the focus being on the same resorts (Stowe, MRG, etc). Just lame.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I think that whatever Skiing Magazine is trying to do is against the law...

http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/fraud/merch.htm

Here's a few quotes from the page that IMO apply:
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you open the package and like what you find, you may keep it for free. In this instance, "finders-keepers" applies unconditionally.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Furthermore, it is illegal for a company that sends you unordered merchandise to follow the mailing with a bill or dunning communication.[/FONT]

In my case, they never send me anything but invoices to renew my subscription.

wa-loaf

I'm always getting renewal (not openly deceptive) notices from Outside. I like Outside and want to keep getting it so in the past I would assume my subscription was running out and send in the renewal. At one point I started getting two mags at once coming addressed to me so I called and asked what was up. Turns out they somehow had two accounts for me and once we straightened everything out I was paid up for like 5 years! So now I just ignore all reminders and if the mags stop coming that's when I'll consider renewing.

wa-loaf

Then what is the $10 they are asking for? Did you get magazines after the subscription ran out?

It's not a real collection letter. They're just getting really deceptive in trying to get you to renew.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
OK, so toss it out...it's just junk mail, isn't it?

Yes, but a very deceptive piece of junk mail that may fool some and even in my case, forced me to waste my time calling the agency. Although I was certain this was just a scam, I didn't want to take a chance on havining a bad mark on my credit (needed to purchase ski stuff).

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
It's not a real collection letter. They're just getting really deceptive in trying to get you to renew.

Very deceptive:

skiscam1.jpg

Page 2:

skiscam2.jpg