• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What should I add to quiver between these two?

Bumpsis

In quiver all ready-

180cm 2003or4 Head Worldcup iRace with LD 12's(Rock skis)
177cm 2006 Head Worldcup iRace with FF17d's and plate (these fly)
174cm 2006 K2 Apache Recons with LD12's (no my favorite but works s with freshies, would like to replace and used out west)
160cm 2006 Head Supershape with FF14's and plate (these are a blast)

Now I am thinking of the Head Supershape Magnums with FF14's and plate in 170cm or Head im88 Monsters(06 model) in 175cm.

Which ones?

Do I get both and get rid of the K2's?:spread:

How about adding lessons??

I mean, it's your business what you do with your money, but if you need that many pairs of skis to get the most out of skiing, perhaps it your technique that could use a bit of buffing up :)

Puck it

I have been skiing since I was 5. Different skis offer different things. Obviously, you have no knowledge of skiing. I am looking for some opinions, I was not asking for your useless comments. You should know who you are talking to before making comments like this.

highpeaksdrifter

How about adding lessons??

I mean, it's your business what you do with your money, but if you need that many pairs of skis to get the most out of skiing, perhaps it your technique that could use a bit of buffing up :)

I have been skiing since I was 5. Different skis offer different things. Obviously, you have no knowledge of skiing. I am looking for some opinions, I was not asking for your useless comments. You should know who you are talking to before making comments like this.

Almost no one buys skis because they need them. We work hard and deserve our toys. It is nice to have different options for different conditions and terrain.

Other then about 18 inches of fresh on an established base, the best day for me is the first day I get on my new skis.

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
Almost no one buys skis because the need them. We work hard and deserve our toys. It is nice to have different options for different conditions and terrain.

Other then about 18 inches of fresh on an established base, the best day for me is the first day I get on my new skis.

Right. I've been a one ski quiver guy for some time. This year I added a bump ski along with my mid-fat (which I also want to replace). Maybe a fat powder board would be nice, but for the number of really deep powder days I usually score, it's probably overkill. I see what Bumpsis is saying.....he just could have said it better.

madskier6

My Hellcats are 90mm underfoot and the XBI isn't mounted on the ski, but actually in it. there is a bored out section on top of the ski to accomadate the binding system.

Have you skied on the Hellcats yet or were they an off-season purchase? How do you like them? I'm intrigued by this ski & definitely want to demo a pair this season.

Puck it

I posed the same question over the barking bear. The barking Bears are saying to go even wider than 88's. Overkill for the east?

Trekchick

I posed the same question over the barking bear. The barking Bears are saying to go even wider than 88's. Overkill for the east?

Believe it or not there is some great technology in skis that is making them very versatile.

The newest in this line up is the Volkl Bridge with a 94 waist. While at the top end of the mid fat range, its been hailed as the true bridge between all Piste/off piste skiing.

You have some skinny stuff in your quiver you're keeping, right? Why not go with a significant midfat to eliminate overlap and take you someplace you hadn't imagined!!!:spread:

Puck it

The suggested the Icelantics. The longest they make is 161cm but very wide. Maybe Fischer Prophete would be good in a 170cm?

highpeaksdrifter

Have you skied on the Hellcats yet or were they an off-season purchase? How do you like them? I'm intrigued by this ski & definitely want to demo a pair this season.

I ordered them last week. I was not able to ski them last year. I'm told they ski very much like the Top Fuel, you just get the advantages that come with them being wider. Those that I've spoken to about them rave about them.

Trekchick

The suggested the Icelantics. The longest they make is 161cm but very wide. Maybe Fischer Prophete would be good in a 170cm?

I am not familiar with the icelantics, but as we discussed the prohete in a previous post. Its a bit of an extreme because its 106, which is not going to have the versatile properties that a mid fat would have.
I'd really stay away from anything over 96 in the waist, if you want something that will work on the east coast and make due in powder.

I liked the idea of the 90 that canuck suggested.
Also, Whiteroom is a really good guy. He has a ton of gear knowledge, and may offer you some really awesome ideas. Heck, I turn to him with a bunch of my questions. I think he's from the Stowe area IIRC.

Bumpsis

My, my, aren't we just a teeny bit thin skinned? I detect a bit of insecurity about your skiing abilty here or perhaps just wounded pride :)
My comment was a joking jab, a jest that seemed funny to me when I read your post. I was hoping you'd take it as such.

On the more serious side, yes I do think that some people ( maybe not you!) substitue equipment for skill.

To me this is just as funny as a Bogner clad ski bunny that's afraid to move for she may fall. The same for a guy with a rack full of skis that he keeps changing after every run so he can hit some imaginary performance zone. Unless somebody is pro, I personally think that blowing so much money on equipment is waste and swallowing a lot of marekting hooey, i.e. emperor's new clothes.

I have just one pair (OK, two, my old "straight" skis) on which I can have a lot of fun in whatever conditions I choose to ski, be it bumps, hardpack or or whatever else the mountain has to offer. I just ski what's there with what I got.

And yes, do rent perfomance skis from time to time and take advantage of demo days sometimes, just know what's out there.

Puck it

I was asking a serious question and did not want some yahoo chiming in with attacks on ability. Let me know where you ski, so I can blow your doors off. That is it. Now back to the topic.

Trekchick

Title of this thread:

What should I add to quiver between these two?

Not:
What ski should I add to my quiver to make me a better skier?

Why on earth would anyone jump to a conclusion that the OP needs lessons?

Puck It.............Lets make your quiver rock!
I jumped to the conclusion, of course, that you already do Rock!

Puck it

Thanks. I appreciate all of your advice Trechick. I am still in a quandry though. What do you think is a fair price for the Recons. I was thinking $450. I probably have skied them only ten to twelve time. A ptex scratch was repaired after JH last year. Not a core shit though. It was worth it while looking a line OB at JH last year.

Thanks. I appreciate all of your advice Trechick. I am still in a quandry though. What do you think is a fair price for the Recons. I was thinking $450. I probably have skied them only ten to twelve time. A ptex scratch was repaired after JH last year. Not a core shit though. It was worth it while looking a line OB at JH last year.

I would say $300 for the recons since they're a year old and were skied on 10-12 times..

Trekchick

I would say $300 for the recons since they're a year old and were skied on 10-12 times..
I was going to say 350 ish, if you planned on selling them to a fellow forum member. You may get more if you Ebay'em.

The only thing against them is that they are used 10-12 times, and have a ptex repair. The thing you have going for you is that the K2 Recon is still one of the hottest skis in the regular consumer market.
Take me for instance................
I probably wouldn't be interested in it but then, I'm a gear ho and I am more intrigued with 2009 technology than 2007 technology. ;)
My friend demoed that ski last year and has been hunting for it, and a deal on a pair every since. He just can't get it out of his head.

Those of us who frequent these forums are not the average consumer.

Mildcat

If you don't use the Recons you should sell them on Ebay. Do you have an account set up to sell on Ebay? If you don't I'm sure there are many of us here on AZ willing to give you tips to sell them. To sell them on Craigslist you would need to set a lowball price but on Ebay you'll have plenty of people bidding on them. I've been looking for dirt cheap Recons on Ebay but they're hot enough people bid up the price.

Puck it

I think I made up my mind. Buy the 170cm Magnums. Keep the Recons for now. And demo a pair of 88's from Sport Thoma or even at Alta this year.

Hawkshot99

A recon should be worth way more than $450, unfortunately people are very cheap and only looking for ridiculous good deals.:angry:

I think $450 is more than a fair price, but I have no idea what to tell you to make them sell...;-)

Mildcat

My, my, aren't we just a teeny bit thin skinned? I detect a bit of insecurity about your skiing abilty here or perhaps just wounded pride :)
My comment was a joking jab, a jest that seemed funny to me when I read your post. I was hoping you'd take it as such.

On the more serious side, yes I do think that some people ( maybe not you!) substitue equipment for skill.

To me this is just as funny as a Bogner clad ski bunny that's afraid to move for she may fall. The same for a guy with a rack full of skis that he keeps changing after every run so he can hit some imaginary performance zone. Unless somebody is pro, I personally think that blowing so much money on equipment is waste and swallowing a lot of marekting hooey, i.e. emperor's new clothes.

I have just one pair (OK, two, my old "straight" skis) on which I can have a lot of fun in whatever conditions I choose to ski, be it bumps, hardpack or or whatever else the mountain has to offer. I just ski what's there with what I got.

And yes, do rent perfomance skis from time to time and take advantage of demo days sometimes, just know what's out there.

My, my, aren't we just a little troll?

A joking jab at a total stranger = an insulting slap in the face.

If a ski bunny can afford Bogner does that mean she should not wear it because she'll be made fun of by an angry troll like you?

An "All Mountain Ski" is marketing "hooey". A good skier can have fun on any ski but the right ski for the right conditions is more fun. I'm sure there are a lot of good skiers on this board with large quivers. So are you taking a joking jab at them too?