• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Kindness of Strangers

tcharron

I had something unique happen to me and the kids last weekend when I was shopping around for new boots and the such for my oldest son.

We where at Ken Jones in Manchester, just checking out sales, looking for new snowpants for the kids. We wanted to have him try on some boots, and we where waiting behind a woman with her teenage son. While talking to the associate, I overhead him mention they don't take old boots for any sort of credit anymore. She glanced at my oldest, and looked at me.

"What size is he?", pointing to my son.

'Uhhh.. 8 to 9, not sure, we're about o have him try on some to see.'

"Come out to my car a second"

We went out and she had my son try on her sons VERY well taken care of boots. Perfect fit. Now, not knowing brands all that well, I wasn't sure how decent of a boot it was, but my son loved it, so I asked her, "How much do you want for them"

"Oh, they're free."

"You sure? Let me go hit an ATM and give you whatever they'd be used inside"

"No, no, that's fine! Take them, as long as another kid is getting use out of them"

Blank Stare

"Can I buy your son something in the store or something? Seriously, it's very generous, I really don't mind, my son loves them"

I couldn't get an address out of her for a thank you card, nothing, she wasn't having it. So my son, with glee, gloated to his brother all the way home after we got him some new gloves, and a real wristguard instead of the crappy ones built into his old gloves.

I get home, and my son's like 'Dad, you know what these boots are, right? Like how much they'd COST?' So I looked it up. They where Vans Fargo boots, for thos who may recognize the name. :p

Cost new? 239$. The ONLY way I could tell these boots had even been used was really the slight rubbing aginst the liner where the velcro attaches to the custom fit 'subliner' or whatever it's called.

I was seriously floored. Wish she knew exactly how happy my 'would have had a pair of low end cold feet starter boots' son is now. :p

SKIQUATTRO

she probably got em from 125th and the west side!!! and the same guy was selling Rolex's out of his trench coat!!

Seriously.....thats good Karma...there are nice people out there!

jack97

I know people who get to a point where they just need to get rid of "clutter" around the house. Once they get to that mode it's almost like out of sight and out of mind and the dumpster becomes an option.

Having experience trying to "sell back" hard goods I've been tempted to do just what the stranger did and bypass the markup of the store (in reality the middle man). Fortunately, I have family members who are a two or three sizes smaller than my daughter, they have no problem taking in equipment and clothing.

Sky

Great story. Thanks for sharing. Don't let that guy suing Wachusett find out, he may claim you discriminated by accepting the free boots. *smirk*

Warp Daddy

Yep the world does have some seriously good folks --probaem is they get no good press :D :D

Great story fine woman , glad the kid is happy too-----------------PASS IT FORWARD

ccskier

That is awesome. Glad to hear that. Reading that just made my night, thanks.

Bumpsis

That's a very nice story. It goes along with a bumper sticker I see form time to time, something along the lines of encouraging people to "commit acts of random kindness". I'm into that!

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
That's a very nice story. It goes along with a bumper sticker I see form time to time, something along the lines of encouraging people to "commit acts of random kindness". I'm into that!

Better than my mantra... "Commit random acts of flatulence."
And now aren't all of you who went to Mt. Snow Monday happy that Marc didn't show up?

;)