• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Why do you backpack?

Greg

Staff member
[Originally posted by Hike_N_Mike]:

What motivates you to give up all the comforts of home, put on fairly uncomfortable boots, carry a heavy pack, put up with insects and unpredictable weather, risk injury, and forego good and easily obtained food to go backpacking in the woods? I know my own motivation, but would like to hear from others. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

It keeps me normal.If I don't get out for a hike once a week I just feel down and out of it.

W

woodchuck

Knowing what I'll feel like and how it'll be once I get out there. It's like the love/hate relationship that I have with running. I can find many reasons why I haven't got the time or inclination to do it but once I'm doing it I feel good about it.

Alpinista

Website
www.suite101.com
To me, getting into the mountains is the most spiritual experience -- way more than sitting inside in a church listening to some guy drone on from a pulpit. I don't consider myself religious at all (can you tell?), but to me, the mountains put me closer in touch with God and the very basis of life. I feel at peace in the woods. And I love the challenges the mountains provide: mental, physical, etc. It strikes a cord on a whole bunch of levels.

P

PamolaPat

Because it feels so good when I stop.

Seriously, there's no satisfaction like that of utter exaustion after a long day. It shows you your soul, who you are underneath it all. Hardly the only reason, more like part of some bigger reasons.