• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Reputable Ski Shop in CT?

MR. evil

Tim,
Of course, I remember you and Randi.
It was the 'thank you' letter from the two of you that made first reference to AZ.com.
Thanks again for the vote of confidence.
I spoke with Carrie today and she will be coming in for a fit 'evaluation' next weekend.
Hope you're both doing well and look forward to seeing you this season.
All the best,
Dave

You will definatly be seeing us at some point. By any chance does your shop carry and of the adjustable ski poles by Leki? I am looking for the ones with the push button adjusters.

ski220

You will definatly be seeing us at some point. By any chance does your shop carry and of the adjustable ski poles by Leki? I am looking for the ones with the push button adjusters.

I would recommend that you NOT buy Leki poles. I baught a pair and the ice points popped out allmost immediatly. I would recommend that you get Blackdiamond poles if you want adjustable poles. They are definatley the best. And infinatly adjustable too.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I'd like to add to this now that I've met with Dave Newman of Ski Market in Avon.

I went to Ski Market today for the stance/alignment evaluation that Dave discussed with me. I could tell right away that Dave knew what he was talking about. He took a look at the boots that I had (which were fortunately the right shell size and boot for my feet and skill level) and found what part of my problem was: the custom unweighted footbeds I had made in March at Alpine Haus (when I bought my new boots) were not made correctly. Too much material was cut off from the edges so they wouldn't sit properly in the liners, and the left foot was really tweaked. Plus they weren't molded right to work with the lifter (I think that's what it's called) that comes with the Nordica Olympia Beast 10 boots for under the liner, so they were putting everything in the wrong place once the footbeds were in (which I had noticed that once the footbeds were added, everything was wrong with how it felt, but I was assured at Alpine Haus that the kinks would be worked out as I broke in the boots). Dave offered to rework the footbeds I had to make them better, but when I asked him if it was even worth it versus having new ones made correctly, he said that it would take him twice as long to rework the footbeds I had and they still wouldn't be right. He never pressured me into it, but I did decide to have new custom unweighted footbeds made. Mind you, I don't have money to throw away and I'm not happy that Alpine Haus made the other ones wrong... But I need them to be right as I have a lot of foot problems.

Dave's process of making the custom footbeds was a lot more intensive than what I went through at Alpine Haus. He thoroughly checked my feet and ankles, finding out issues I had without me even telling him. He was able to tell that I had broken the 5th metatarsal in my left foot, that I had repeatedly sprained my left ankle, that it's likely my left leg is shorter because my arch on that foot is pretty much flat... I was impressed by how much he was able to tell. The process of making the footbeds was also more thorough. After making them, he also checked some issues that may come up later for stance/alignment and explained to me why. So not only was he thorough, but he explained the process and why he was doing what he was doing throughout my visit today.

Since I had new footbeds made, there wasn't time to do the stance/alignment evaluation. So I am going back next Saturday to have that part done. I have full faith that Dave will get this right for me - which will be a blessing when ski season starts considering all the foot problems I've had in the past.

I want to thank Dave for coming here, making the public apology, and going out of his way to make the situation right for me. You have proven what excellent customer service is by going the extra mile. But I can tell that you always go the extra mile, even in ordinary cases.

I want everyone else to know that just because you receive a recommendation doesn't mean the place or person is golden. Go with your gut. Mine did tell me things may be off when I went elsewhere, but I had received excellent recommendations and figured that maybe I just didn't know any better because I hadn't been through the process before. I should have followed my gut. Don't take somebody's word for it: be sure the shop and the people you're working with are reputable before you put down your money, because as we all know, mistakes in ski gear can be quite costly. Lesson learned.

MR. evil

I'd like to add to this now that I've met with Dave Newman of Ski Market in Avon.

I went to Ski Market today for the stance/alignment evaluation that Dave discussed with me. I could tell right away that Dave knew what he was talking about. He took a look at the boots that I had (which were fortunately the right shell size and boot for my feet and skill level) and found what part of my problem was: the custom unweighted footbeds I had made in March at Alpine Haus (when I bought my new boots) were not made correctly. Too much material was cut off from the edges so they wouldn't sit properly in the liners, and the left foot was really tweaked. Plus they weren't molded right to work with the lifter (I think that's what it's called) that comes with the Nordica Olympia Beast 10 boots for under the liner, so they were putting everything in the wrong place once the footbeds were in (which I had noticed that once the footbeds were added, everything was wrong with how it felt, but I was assured at Alpine Haus that the kinks would be worked out as I broke in the boots). Dave offered to rework the footbeds I had to make them better, but when I asked him if it was even worth it versus having new ones made correctly, he said that it would take him twice as long to rework the footbeds I had and they still wouldn't be right. He never pressured me into it, but I did decide to have new custom unweighted footbeds made. Mind you, I don't have money to throw away and I'm not happy that Alpine Haus made the other ones wrong... But I need them to be right as I have a lot of foot problems.

Dave's process of making the custom footbeds was a lot more intensive than what I went through at Alpine Haus. He thoroughly checked my feet and ankles, finding out issues I had without me even telling him. He was able to tell that I had broken the 5th metatarsal in my left foot, that I had repeatedly sprained my left ankle, that it's likely my left leg is shorter because my arch on that foot is pretty much flat... I was impressed by how much he was able to tell. The process of making the footbeds was also more thorough. After making them, he also checked some issues that may come up later for stance/alignment and explained to me why. So not only was he thorough, but he explained the process and why he was doing what he was doing throughout my visit today.

Since I had new footbeds made, there wasn't time to do the stance/alignment evaluation. So I am going back next Saturday to have that part done. I have full faith that Dave will get this right for me - which will be a blessing when ski season starts considering all the foot problems I've had in the past.

I want to thank Dave for coming here, making the public apology, and going out of his way to make the situation right for me. You have proven what excellent customer service is by going the extra mile. But I can tell that you always go the extra mile, even in ordinary cases.

I want everyone else to know that just because you receive a recommendation doesn't mean the place or person is golden. Go with your gut. Mine did tell me things may be off when I went elsewhere, but I had received excellent recommendations and figured that maybe I just didn't know any better because I hadn't been through the process before. I should have followed my gut. Don't take somebody's word for it: be sure the shop and the people you're working with are reputable before you put down your money, because as we all know, mistakes in ski gear can be quite costly. Lesson learned.

Glad it worked out for you. Neither Randi or I had custom foot beds made (we bough off the shelf upgrades) but Dave still spent a huge amount of time with each one of us. It was wierd how he could tell you things about your own feet, ankles & knees. He also spent a bunch of time tweaking my liners. Shaving material off here, adding some there until everything was perfect and at no additional charge. I also really like how explained why he was doing what he was doing at every stage.

I will probably need a better set of boots next season that will be better for bumps. I will have some custom foot beds made then. And Dave will be the guy I see.

Greg

Staff member

Sounds very much like a Jeff Bokum experience. Great to hear there is a good local boot fitter here in CT. About effin time! What kind of foot beds does Dave use? Jeff prefers Instaprints.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Another update: Went in this morning to try out the new custom footbeds that were made properly and have the alignment/stance evaluation. Once again, Dave Newman surpassed my expectations. This guy really knows what he's talking about and how to do what he's doing. The footbeds are AWESOME! I can tell the difference already. He spent some time with me working on my stance, checking out my alignment, and helping me with balance (and explaining everything in the process). He knew right away which side were my stronger turns, and explained to me how to improve the other side's turns. Fine-tuned the footbed a little and adjusted the cuff alignment - and it felt even better. Luckily, my biggest problems are my stance so that's (somewhat) easily adjusted with better technique.

I highly recommend Dave Newman at the Ski Market in Avon. I'm glad I gave them another shot and they will definitely be getting our business in the future. :D

Moe Ghoul

Big props to all the guys/gals that know their stuff when fitting us for boots. Even though he isn't on this board, I'll make an honorable mention of Matt Sheets at Wildernest Sports in Teton Village. All 10 toes and my now extinct hotspots thank him.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Carrie, does this mean you'll have your new boots this year at Abasin!!!?
:D
If I can find a way to make that trip happen financially, most definitely those boots will be joining me. HUGE difference. Just about all of the problems I was having with the new boots came from the custom footbed not being planed and fitted properly to the liner in those boots (they come with a sort of lifter under the liner and this wasn't factored into the way the footbeds were built up, so they were ramping me up too far and screwing up everything...aside from the fact that there was a seam under the 5th metatarsal of each foot because of the way they were made and weren't as wide as my feet) - the rest being that the footbed itself wasn't made properly. Live and learn, right? Expensive lesson, but now I know.

I was so excited after picking them up today...but there's no snow to be found around here! :angry: Can't believe I have to wait 2 more months for some turns!!! :eek:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
So you wearing the boot around the house?
That was another thing we discussed. Don't walk in your boots any more than absolutely necessary - they're not made for walking in and you mess things up (and wear them out faster) when you do that. But putting them on and working on my balance, stuff like that...it's all good.

Normally, I do wear the boots around the house quite a few times before the season starts. :oops: But I try to stick with when I know I won't have to take care of the kids for a while because taking care of diaper changes, etc. while in ski boots = not fun. So no, last night I did not. We were at a birthday party. But it's likely they will get put on my feet again soon. :D I need to work on my balance anyway and my feet have gotten lazy over the summer. Need to get them used to ski boots again. :D

Hawkshot99

Normally, I do wear the boots around the house quite a few times before the season starts. :oops: But I try to stick with when I know I won't have to take care of the kids for a while because taking care of diaper changes, etc. while in ski boots = not fun. So no, last night I did not. We were at a birthday party. But it's likely they will get put on my feet again soon. :D I need to work on my balance anyway and my feet have gotten lazy over the summer. Need to get them used to ski boots again. :D

Went to a party Friday night. The hostess is a huge skier chick. Once she was pretty good and drunk she dug through her bag and put on her boots. Was quite the image. Skimpy black dress, stockings, ski boots, and stumbling around drunk. I was turned on!:-D

skidmarks

Hell Yeah I’m biased

Awkward because this will be my second season running wwwSuburbanSport.com (Berlin CT) but I agree that it’s hard to find a good ski shop in CT. Most of the shops sell big boots and short skis at even bigger prices. We don’t do that!!

We’ve invested in new equipment for the back shop i.e. a Winterstieger Trim 91 ceramic edger so we can do that perfect tune up. In addition we don’t have some part High School schlub hacking out the tunes, us adults do the work. We offer 2 different kinds of custom footbeds, Superfeet and Sidas/Instaprint, 3 kinds of trim to fits, and do all sorts of boot fitting.

Our prices kick butt too. You’ll get a minimum of 30% off MSRP on 2009 skis and boots. Yes we are making a big effort in race gear but we carry lot's of Twins,BC and Tele gear too. My personal favorite is the Elan 888 but the New School guys in the shop like the Armada ARVs. We carry Kryptons and the Full Tilt line of free ride and park boots too.

Hell Yeah I’m biased but you asked.....

Thinking of Winter!!

Attachments

• ChristmasNewYear07 086_0001.jpg
    ChristmasNewYear07 086_0001.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 10

Greg

Staff member
Went to a party Friday night. The hostess is a huge skier chick. Once she was pretty good and drunk she dug through her bag and put on her boots. Was quite the image. Skimpy black dress, stockings, ski boots, and stumbling around drunk. I was turned on!:-D

I assume you got her #.

Awkward because this will be my second season running wwwSuburbanSport.com (Berlin CT) but I agree that it’s hard to find a good ski shop in CT. Most of the shops sell big boots and short skis at even bigger prices. We don’t do that!!

We’ve invested in new equipment for the back shop i.e. a Winterstieger Trim 91 ceramic edger so we can do that perfect tune up. In addition we don’t have some part High School schlub hacking out the tunes, us adults do the work. We offer 2 different kinds of custom footbeds, Superfeet and Sidas/Instaprint, 3 kinds of trim to fits, and do all sorts of boot fitting.

Our prices kick butt too. You’ll get a minimum of 30% off MSRP on 2009 skis and boots. Yes we are making a big effort in race gear but we carry lot's of Twins,BC and Tele gear too. My personal favorite is the Elan 888 but the New School guys in the shop like the Armada ARVs. We carry Kryptons and the Full Tilt line of free ride and park boots too.

Hell Yeah I’m biased but you asked.....

Thinking of Winter!!

I would say welcome skidmarks, but I see you registered in 2005, you just haven't posted much. Hope to see you contribute more often. Sounds like you have the right mentality for running a ski shop, one that is somewhat missing down here. I know o3jeff speaks highly of your shop and how you handled things with his C-dale MTB. Post more!