• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Reputable Ski Shop in CT?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Not sure if this is the right area to post this... I'm sure Brian will move it if it isn't. ;)

Anybody have any recommendations for a reputable ski shop in CT? Somewhere we can get skis tuned, bindings mounted, that sort of stuff? We're not too happy with the place we were going to so suggestions would be welcome.

TIA!

cbcbd

I got one, but it's pretty far away from you guys... Wilton Outdoor Sports, arguably the best in the state.

Grassi21

I got one, but it's pretty far away from you guys... Wilton Outdoor Sports, arguably the best in the state.

I second that. Great shop and staff. Besides a few random items from SAC, my wife and I have purchased all of my gear from Outdoor Sports (ski and kayak). I use them for tunes and waxes as well.

Greg

Staff member
We're not too happy with the place we were going to so suggestions would be welcome.

I'm not too happy with that shop either. Unfortunately, there are no good shops in NW CT. Dusty and Ed's in Wethersfield is okay, but it's not convenient. There's a guy in Oakville that has a bicycle shop but he does ski tunes in the winter for around $20. I'm just going to have Sundown do my tunes.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I'm not too happy with that shop either. Unfortunately, there are no good shops in NW CT. Dusty and Ed's in Wethersfield is okay, but it's not convenient. There's a guy in Oakville that has a bicycle shop but he does ski tunes in the winter for around $20. I'm just going to have Sundown do my tunes.
Yeah, I heard about that. I think that was the final straw as to why we won't be returning there either.

Considering the drive, I'm wondering if that shop near Catamount is any good. It's no further than say, Wethersfield or Wilton from where we live, possibly closer. I know their gear is really pricey, but if they do a good job working on skis, it might be worth it. I know Sundown tunes but do they mount bindings?

We'll have to check out that Outdoor Sports sometime. Thanks for the tip!

Paul

No more Ed, just Dusty now. I'm fine with them. Never had a bad experience, and like any local shop, the more you put in, the more you get out. Once any local place sees you as a regular, as long as they don't totally suck, you'll see some benefits.

$.02

ZOG

Good specialty shops in CT:

Tune ups : Ski Tunes in Simsbury. But you are always better off doing them yourself.
Boot fitting: Ski Market in Avon has Dave Newman on staff now, best boot fitter I've ever delt with, he
use to own Elite Ski in Farmington.

Race gear: Suburban Sports in Berlin is making a serious effort in the ski race business.

High end skis: Not much around here, but Bob's Chalet in Bristol tends to have alot of top models.

MR. evil

I 2nd Ski Market in Avon! Dave Newman really knows his stuff. He did the fittings on both mine and Randi's boots. He also won't put you into a boot or ski that isn't right for you. Great Guy!

WoodCore

Although I always tune my own skis and rarely get base grinds down here in CT I've always had good luck with Rick and staff at Ski Haus in New Milford.

Greg

Staff member
I think Fatty's in Canton will be my new shop this season for mounts and tunes.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Ooooh, old thread!

Ended up going to Outdoor Sports to have my bindings mounted on my Maries. Great service and job but too far of a drive.

Went to Wethersfield for my boots. Service was pretty good, they seemed knowledgeable, no pressure, took their time. The biotch is having to drive out there for all the fine tuning for my boots. I've been there once already and I figure there will probably be at least a few more shots at getting them right. At least they have a 1 year guarantee on fit and will replace with something else if these don't work out for me.

Have a gift card for Fatty's (Brian does, actually) and they will likely become our local shop for mounts and tunes. Pretty convenient from Torrington (just as far away as the bad shop).

I tried going to Ski Market in Avon twice. And calling to make an appointment with Dave the bootfitter. I have to say my experience with them was not great. No customer service, nobody asked if I needed help when I spent over a half hour checking out boots with a salesman right there, Dave wasn't there when he said he would be (I called him and he told me to call back Saturday to make an appointment and he didn't come in that day at all)... I don't think I'll be going there again. The issues I have with them are over multiple visits, so it's not like I haven't given them chances to prove my opinion of them wrong.

DBNewman

Website
www.skimarket.com
Formal apology

Severine,
Please accept my apology for the way you were treated at the Ski Market in Avon, CT. While we run a very lean staff during the summer, there is no excuse for a customer NOT to be attended. As for setting an appointment, I don't ever recall telling anyone to call on a Saturday to book an appointment - that can be done any day and at any time...even during my absence from the store. My staff is aware of my schedule and has access to my appointment book.

Regardless, I want to right the wrong and take care of your needs. Todd Greenwood (store manager) I have worked very hard over the past two years to put this store back on track an make it one of (if not THE) finest ski and bike shops in the region.

I will be here tomorrow (Wednesday) at 10:00 am. Please give me a call directly 860-677-2186 so we can find a time that works best for both of our schedules. You can rest assured that I WILL here for that appointment as I have been for the countless other satisfied customers who have allowed me to help them with their boot fitting needs.

Again, please accept my deepest apologies.
I look forward to speaking with you tomorrow.
Sincerely,
David B. Newman, Asst. Mgr/Master Boot Fitter
Ski Market, Avon, CT

Greg

Staff member
Heh. Welcome Dave. I've heard positive things about your boot fitting skill.

All right. Now fess up, how dd you come across this thread? :)

DBNewman

Website
www.skimarket.com
Thank you, Greg

To answer your question -
A letter was sent through our website www.skimarket.com and the 'thread' was included. I immediately read through the entire thread and then proceeded to register on the site so that I could reply.

I have to say that this is quite a forum. I had heard about it through some clients, but have to admit that I had yet to visit it...until now.

Thank you again for the thoughtful words. I take great pride in my work and do my best for all who seek out my services. I invite you and all who visit this site to come to our store in Avon to see what we have to offer. The 'Custom Boot Fitting Center' is just one of many new features to the store. I am certain you will be pleasantly surprised with what you see.

With the recent morning chill, ski season isn't far away.
Hope to see you soon.
Dave

MR. evil

WOW.... I didn't expect to see this. Welcome to the forum Dave. You actually fitted my wife and are for our boots last year. You did an ok job :-D

I doubt you remember us, but my wife Randi (MRGisEvil) was the Property Manager at your rental property in W. Hartford years ago. You remembered her from past board meetings while fitting her boots.

edit: one thing I just remembered is that last years while trying to schedule my boot fitting back in December and Randi's in Fed. When I spoke to you on the phone you flat out told me that you do not schedule booting fittings on Saturdays. The store was just too busy, you only did them on week days during a specific time range.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I have PM'd Dave about this. And you're right, Tim, that he did not schedule for Saturdays and scheduled appointments for weekdays. It was something we had discussed at the time and I was advised to call on Saturday to set up a time range I could come in Sunday so he could look out for me since I was not able to get childcare for my kids so I could make an appointment during the week. And anyone who has a 1 and 3 year old in tow (at the time, 5 months younger) would understand why it would be impossible to get a proper bootfitting while caring for their kids at the same time.

Dave - I thank you for taking the time to come here and commend you for going out of your way to take care of your customers. Going that extra mile makes a huge difference, something many retailers just don't understand these days. While my past experience was unfavorable, your handling of this situation impresses me. I would be happy to give Ski Market another chance.

MRGisevil

I worked with Dave for a while and I have to say that he really is a stand up guy; in my mind this just solidifies it.

DBNewman

Website
www.skimarket.com
Tim,
Of course, I remember you and Randi.
It was the 'thank you' letter from the two of you that made first reference to AZ.com.
Thanks again for the vote of confidence.
I spoke with Carrie today and she will be coming in for a fit 'evaluation' next weekend.
Hope you're both doing well and look forward to seeing you this season.
All the best,
Dave