• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boot Weight

cbcbd

I got some Garmont Endorphins late last season and will be using them this season in and out of bounds... very stiff and tour all right for such a stiff heavy boot (I get no blisters with them so I can't complain). My new Rossi B2s are setup for those and I'm contemplating using them with my Z9s, although I think they might be a little too hefty for the boot (actually, my ankles).

Met another guy who's a Sugarbush regular who's also using the Endorphins for Alpine no problems - he has some mega rides for long tours though.

So far I like them a lot and fit my feet very well. IMO, unless you're downhilling and GSing everywhere a lighter setup overall feels so much free-er.

And seriously, how do you wreck boots?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Endorphins and Tornados were both available last year. Shaman and the Tornado Pros are new this year, IIRC. The Adrenalin is certainly a lot more AT than Alpine and I would not consider it to be a good boot for in bounds. But you were basing your comments on the entire AT lines based on the Adrenalin which does not take into account two levels more stiff of AT boots and was an over broad statement. I am of the opinion that a two boot solution is best and that the holy grail of AT boots (just as good in bounds as out of bounds) has not yet been found. But both Garmont and Scarpa offer AT boots that would go well in bounds but suck on the tour.

tjf67

Endorphins and Tornados were both available last year. Shaman and the Tornado Pros are new this year, IIRC. The Adrenalin is certainly a lot more AT than Alpine and I would not consider it to be a good boot for in bounds. But you were basing your comments on the entire AT lines based on the Adrenalin which does not take into account two levels more stiff of AT boots and was an over broad statement. I am of the opinion that a two boot solution is best and that the holy grail of AT boots (just as good in bounds as out of bounds) has not yet been found. But both Garmont and Scarpa offer AT boots that would go well in bounds but suck on the tour.

The endorphines were the best you could get last year. They did not hold up in bounds. Overboard? may be, most people probably would not know the difference. I would be pissed though if I was in a shop talked to the boot guy and he told me these things would hold up in bounds.

The two newer more alpine like at boots are out this year the jury is out.

bigbog

$.01 worth.....
If anyone gets an AT boot with Garmont's G-Fit thermo liner, the liner is notorious for having a ton of everything in the heel & achilles area...so much so that it'll wreck that great alpine fit that one can easily get with a little shell-modding. My Head alpine liner works like a charm in my Endorphins, that with a little forefoot shell stretch makes for a terrific fit.. We'll see how long they last...the lower weight and walk-mode are really good enough for me...can't argue with the climbing Vibram, have some Dukes but also have the Solly STH 16s...which are simply the best skiing clamps I've ever had my boots/feet in, not to mention lighter...which I think would be the nicest on the wider pow/crud skis. With the walk-mode I don't think the Trekkers would seem half the battle they are with no walk-mode.
BTW riverc0il...I did the online buy/return-thing with Zzeros but Not the carbons(sigh), nice but Dynafit's last is just too narrow for me however I DID like their liner's design, ordered a pair..due to arrive in a week or so...a little less material than the G-Fits...especially around heel area...seems like they'd fit a wider forefoot easier...and had more of an alpine design & feel to them...really like them.
The AT-tongue is a marketplace...most boots now come with two(except Endorphins [and Adrenalins??]...but mine seem fine for me), but most Raichle-style tongues will fit without much problem...adding a little more stiffness if desired.

$.01
other_Steve

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
If you start looking into it most of the weight is in the bindings. AC3 are not that heavy. It the binding attached to them.

unless you are bootpacking all day long the weight of the boot IMO never plays a role.

The AT boots that people are talking about get the crap beat out of them in resorts. They are not meant to be beat up that much. I would rather boot pack with my alpine boots with the extra weight and get the performance out of them vs the lighter at boot with its wishy washy feel.

Top of the line Garmonts like the Adrenalin and then the Endorphin are far from wishy washy I assure you.

Perfect for bumps and trees.

For me anyway. I use the Adrenalin and love them...I'm on my second set of liners. Steve, you would like the Endorphin alot.

JimG.

Staff member
My buddy speant 700 or so bucks on the Adrenelines last year and they are shot. . By Feb of last year he went out and bought a pair of Nordicas. If you could build a lighter AT boot that had all the performance of a alpine boot then why would they continue to make alpine boots?

Not looking to argue but heck what esle is there to do.

How much does your friend weigh?

I weigh 190.

I'm thin and tall and the Adrenalin is perfect for me.

JimG.

Staff member
You get to much play in them. Like Jim G stated he likes a little play in his boot. Probably like most uf us like a little play in our pants but most proficient skiers dont want that.

I said I like to have some flex at the ankle...you know, to balance?

I did not say I like play in the boot.

JimG.

Staff member

They tour for convenience only which is what I wanted since I don't live where you do. You are correct, they are not comfy tourers. but they work just fiine.

They are the most comfortable ski boot I've ever had, the very best foot pressure distribution ever.

And for what I ski at Hunter, they're great.

JimG.

Staff member
$.01 worth.....
If anyone gets an AT boot with Garmont's G-Fit thermo liner, the liner is notorious for having a ton of everything in the heel & achilles area...so much so that it'll wreck that great alpine fit that one can easily get with a little shell-modding. My Head alpine liner works like a charm in my Endorphins, that with a little forefoot shell stretch makes for a terrific fit.. We'll see how long they last...the lower weight and walk-mode are really good enough for me...can't argue with the climbing Vibram, have some Dukes but also have the Solly STH 16s...which are simply the best skiing clamps I've ever had my boots/feet in, not to mention lighter...which I think would be the nicest on the wider pow/crud skis. With the walk-mode I don't think the Trekkers would seem half the battle they are with no walk-mode.
BTW riverc0il...I did the online buy/return-thing with Zzeros but Not the carbons(sigh), nice but Dynafit's last is just too narrow for me however I DID like their liner's design, ordered a pair..due to arrive in a week or so...a little less material than the G-Fits...especially around heel area...seems like they'd fit a wider forefoot easier...and had more of an alpine design & feel to them...really like them.
The AT-tongue is a marketplace...most boots now come with two(except Endorphins [and Adrenalins??]...but mine seem fine for me), but most Raichle-style tongues will fit without much problem...adding a little more stiffness if desired.

$.01
other_Steve

This is my 4th season on the same Adrenlins.

Second set of liners. No heel play at all. NEVER crank my buckles down.

You need a better boot fitter.

bigbog

...just a little work = great fit for me

Hi JimG...
Those G-Fits just seemed to add bulk in places where my feet didn't appreciate it... Love the Dynafits...as well as my non-bulky alpine liners.

JimG.

Staff member
Hi JimG...
Those G-Fits just seemed to add bulk in places where my feet didn't appreciate it... Love the Dynafits...as well as my non-bulky alpine liners.

Kind of went off didn't I?

I assume you tried those G-fits on out of the box. Pretty uncomfortable until you heat them and get the thermal fit.

My Adrenalins were extremely tight until I had them fitted.

So I guess now I understand where you were coming from.