• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mounting position dilemma

gorgonzola

Just got my 180 Fischer Riu tt's back from the shop...when I dropped them off I asked for them to be mounted in the "traditional" aft "big mountain" position but when I got them they're mounted in the forward park and pipe spot... I got them for skiing with my kids so I am skiing switch and goofing around in the park and pipe as well as intending on using them as my tree and bump ski...I'm thinking I just leave 'em forward for now and and see how it goes. FYI the other ski in my "quiver" are 177 head ixrc1100's for cruising the groomers and dabbling in NASTAR....any thoughts?

Greg

Staff member
Can't hurt to be a bit forward. How far forward is "park/pipe" from the standard mount? As I understand it, some park skis are mounted at the center point which is probably way further forward than you want to be, but if it's only +1 or +2 cm, don't worry about it. For bumps you might be happier with the "mistake."

gorgonzola

I'm not sure where they are relative to "standard" mount for the ski, I'll post a pic as soon as my 15 yo finds the camera, but they're about 5cm rear of center, measured tip to tip. Interestingly enough with the rear tip, the skiable edge tail length is only about 2.5 cm longer than the ixrc's ?!?!!? I think they'll be fine...

gorgonzola

ok, the CL of my boot is aligned with the hash mark in the sidewall which is +2.5 from center of "binding mounting zone" plate.... :blink:
DSCN0171.jpg
[/IMG]

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
That is pretty cool plate that Fischer uses there. How many CMs between P&P vs. the BM line? 3 or 4 or so? A bad mounting position can really change the dynamic of how a board skis. I have had the same ski mounted in two different places due to manufacturer changing the boot center line on different models and I was able to notice performance differences based on just 1.5cm difference. This has come up previously and I still maintain mounting position on a ski is amazingly under noted in regards to performance. A different mounting point can mean the difference of liking a ski or not. Right up there with Model, Length, and then mounting point as three big performances that are adjustable to a skier.

Personally, I would have them remounted if I were you unless you plan on doing a majority of your skiing in the park or in the bumps. Anything less than a majority of your time under those conditions will make for substantial performance trade offs every where else on the mountain.

gorgonzola

Each pair of the longer lines are .5 cm apart for a total of 5cm P/P to BM. The primary purpose of these skis is d!cking around in the park with the kids Friday nights with a few bump runs in between to get the lungs and heart pumping - maybe the shop did me a favor?!?!? I'm gonna giv'm a go at this postition and if it sucks have 'em re-mounted (disclaimer: this is hop brewed beverage induced decision and may be revoked, revised and otherwise denied tommorrow morning)

Edit Add: anybody know what the sidewall hash mark is noting? I've seen it before as mounting position but it doesn't seem consistent with the fancy-shmancy binding positon zone plate...

Mildcat

That is pretty cool plate that Fischer uses there. How many CMs between P&P vs. the BM line? 3 or 4 or so? A bad mounting position can really change the dynamic of how a board skis. I have had the same ski mounted in two different places due to manufacturer changing the boot center line on different models and I was able to notice performance differences based on just 1.5cm difference. This has come up previously and I still maintain mounting position on a ski is amazingly under noted in regards to performance. A different mounting point can mean the difference of liking a ski or not. Right up there with Model, Length, and then mounting point as three big performances that are adjustable to a skier.

Personally, I would have them remounted if I were you unless you plan on doing a majority of your skiing in the park or in the bumps. Anything less than a majority of your time under those conditions will make for substantial performance trade offs every where else on the mountain.

I could not agree with you more and I'm probably not even close to your level of skiing. I remember years ago getting pissed off at an article about shops automatically mounting bindings forward because they assume most skiers ski in the back seat. I use to have a pair of ESS VAR bindings which were movable forwards and backwards. I skied about 80% of the time in center and would only move them in extreme conditions. I think a good shop should explain to their customers about binding position.