• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sleeping Bags

Mildcat

Any advice? I'm looking for a bag to sleep in my car. I'm thinking 0 degree but I'm not sure. What is the difference between synthetic and down? Does it matter between left and right zip? Price is an issue but I also don't want to buy a cheap brand if it means freezing my a$$ off on a cold night. Any special options I should look for. I don't care about weight or how small it packs. Priorities are warmth and price.

skibum9995

Choosing a sleeping bag is a lot about personal preference. I prefer down to synthetic because it is more compressible and lighter weight, but since you don't care about those it really doesn't matter much. Synthetic will keep you warm when it's wet while down will not. I really like my Western Mountaineering bag and highly recommend you check them out. Not the cheapest but very high quality.

adamti91

Down bags suck, I mean they are very warm, but after some use the down clumps and they are useless when wet, especially if you are talking 0 degrees. Synthetics are the way to go. Right and Left zip doesn't matter it's just preference, and some good brands are North Face and Marmot, and REI has some good cheaper bags too. Took a North Face Cat's Meow on my backpacking trip this summer and loved it.

Mildcat

Choosing a sleeping bag is a lot about personal preference. I prefer down to synthetic because it is more compressible and lighter weight, but since you don't care about those it really doesn't matter much. Synthetic will keep you warm when it's wet while down will not. I really like my Western Mountaineering bag and highly recommend you check them out. Not the cheapest but very high quality.

Thanks for the info. I guess the Western Mountaineering bags are expensive.

Down bags suck, I mean they are very warm, but after some use the down clumps and they are useless when wet, especially if you are talking 0 degrees. Synthetics are the way to go. Right and Left zip doesn't matter it's just preference, and some good brands are North Face and Marmot, and REI has some good cheaper bags too. Took a North Face Cat's Meow on my backpacking trip this summer and loved it.

I saw the bags on REI Outlet and that's why I decided to post this question. I saw they had some cheaper ones and I did see one Marmot for a reasonable price. I'm always afraid of buying cheaper brand names on things like this. But REI does have a good return policy.

wa-loaf

Are you planning on sleeping in your car on ski trips? You might want to look at a -20 bag. Especially if weight isn't an issue.

ski220

Go with the synthetic. Down doesn't breathe moisture as well, will clump up and produce cold spots. For pure winter camping get a bag rated well below what you envision the temp. will be. Cars are cold, all metal and glass, and you should leave the windows cracked to avoid moisture build up. In any event buy a quality product - it's your comfort and well being.

Mildcat

Are you planning on sleeping in your car on ski trips? You might want to look at a -20 bag. Especially if weight isn't an issue.

That's exactly what I was thinking. That's why weight isn't an issue. Thanks.

Go with the synthetic. Down doesn't breathe moisture as well, will clump up and produce cold spots. For pure winter camping get a bag rated well below what you envision the temp. will be. Cars are cold, all metal and glass, and you should leave the windows cracked to avoid moisture build up. In any event buy a quality product - it's your comfort and well being.

Will the moisture I produce make the down clump up? I have heard before that the windows will freeze up on the inside if you don't keep them cracked. Does any big brand name qualify as quality?

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
Down is better in the long run for backpacking, because weight, compressibility, and longevity are important. For car camping they really don't matter so synthetic wins out for price and dealing with getting wet (although that shouldn't be a big deal).

If you are sleeping in your car then a good quality synthetic, possibly a rectangular bag which will be more comfortable but slightly less warm would be my choice. Left vs right zip only matters if you plan on zipping together to a second bag; otherwise it doesn't matter at all.

For summer use the brand doesn't matter as much. For a real cold weather bag I'd look for a brand that isn't a real low price special. Keep an eye on REI Outlet and Sierra Trading Post for deals.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Cars are cold

Except of course, when they're hot ;) It's true, however, that they are made of materials that are poor thermal insulators, poor radiation reflectors, resulting in a propensity to normalize the interior air temperature with the exterior air temperature fairly quickly at night.

Mildcat

Except of course, when they're hot ;) It's true, however, that they are made of materials that are poor thermal insulators, poor radiation reflectors, resulting in a propensity to normalize the interior air temperature with the exterior air temperature fairly quickly at night.

:-o Too many big words, my head hurts. I'm not the brightest radiant reflector.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
:-o Too many big words, my head hurts. I'm not the brightest radiant reflector.

:dunce:

I've got a Mountain Hardwear 0 degree synthetic bag. I've yet to test it to it's rated temp or below but it appears to be of fairly rugged construction, the stuff sack is small, and I found it a good comprimise between weight and insulation. Wearing down clothing inside a cold weather bag around 0 degree rating should keep you warm in just about any situation you'd encounter.