• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SkierX&twin-tip skis?????

S

SLOskier

Hi everyone!

Just a quick one - I am considering buying a new pair of skis this year but cannot decide which ones to buy.

I have been skiing since the age of 4 (now 22), raced a bit when in primary school, so I think I'm an advanced "oldschool" skier. Oh yeah, and I really like skierX racing! Although I sometimes ski in deep snow and jump whenever possible, I'm not sure that standard GS race skis are THE skis for such skiing.

As a matter of fact, I would really like to get into freeskiing (newschool skiing) - skierX, tricks and deep-snow cause I'm tired of skiing on groomed trails. The skis I'm looking for should be some kind of a mix between these 3 styles. I know that all these 3 styles require special skis (and that comparing them is like comparing a tractor, ferrari and a bus), but I'm a bit short on cash and cannot afford 2 pairs of skis, so the skis I am looking for should have to be a bit more all-roundish...

So-since there's a serious lack of snowparks here in Slovenia (now EU-for those who haven't heard of it), the best solution would be a ski that would be similar to a skierX ski (to perform well when there's nothing else to ski than groomed trails-when not skiing in deep snow or in parks), yet with twin tips (which are almost a must-I'm not sure you can land a fakie or slide on rails comfortably on skierX skis) and a bit wider for deep snow... Sounds like THE dream ski, aight? :D

Here in cannot buy any exotic skis (Armada,...) so I'm basically restricted to all the traditional, mostly European brands: Voelkl,Blizzard,Rossignol,Dynastar,Nordica,Head,Elan,Atomic,Fisher,Salomon and K2.

Since I race downhill bikes, I know this dilemma is the same as asking which bike to buy when you want to race downhill, bikerX and dirt-jump at the same time. However, I hope you can understand my situation and point me in the right direction. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thx!

Oh-there's one more thing... I'm 184cm tall and weigh 77kg - which length should I buy? Thx one more time!!!

Word up from SLOskier!

JimG.

Staff member
You want twintips! Everyone thinks they are for the terrain park only, but twintips are great all-mountain skis unless you are looking to do serious downhill at speeds axceeding 70MPH. I've been skiing Dynastar Candides and Concept 178's for the past 2 seasons and I love them. I'm a little taller and heavier than you, but you would want to get something in the 175-180cm range...remember, you are losing a little edge contact because the tails are turned up, so a little bit longer is OK. Check out the twintip offerings from Dynastar, Salomon, or K2 and I'm sure you will find something you like.

DBarnes727

Website
www.rideandskine.com
I have to highly recommend the Salomon 1080's as an all-mountain twin-tip. The 4 or 5 year old 1080's I have are the only skis I've owned that I haven't managed to delaminate. I ski hard, jump high and bounce off rocks and trees in the glades on a regular basis, so they've been through a lot. I just purchased a new pair of 181s, waiting for them to ship from REI. Can't wait! :)