• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Repair: Tip Delamination

BeanoNYC

While at Mount Snow yesterday, the tip of one of my buddie's salomon screams came apart. I'm planning on using epoxy and possibly putting a rivet or two to hold it shut. A few questions:

1) Is riveting a good idea or a bad idea?

2) If I do rivet, should I do it after the epoxy dries or while it's setting in a clamp?

3) Are there tips to buy to ad to his skis to prevent this from happening again?

4) Any better suggestions?

SkiDog

those are foam core right????

dont know that i'd try rivets in those...i'd also be wary of the epoxy used...doesnt that stuff like eat foam???

M

Hawkshot99

those are foam core right????

dont know that i'd try rivets in those...i'd also be wary of the epoxy used...doesnt that stuff like eat foam???

M

The epoxy may eat the foam....but i am sure there is some epoxies that will work.

I would have no problem with a rivet. Just look at alot of the twin tips out there that have rivits.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
The epoxy may eat the foam....but i am sure there is some epoxies that will work.

I would have no problem with a rivet. Just look at alot of the twin tips out there that have rivits.

Polyepoxide resin can react and deteriorate the foam used in some foam core skis.

You should be safe using polyester or vinylester (the former is cheaper) resin. Polyester resin is much cheaper than epoxy as well. If the mating surfaces are rough enough and are material that these types of thermosetting plastics will bond with, and the resin cures properly and completely, then the repair will be stronger than a rivet and mechanical reinforcement should not necessary.

SkiDog

Lots of twins with rivets I agree...not tooo many I dont think that are foam core though...

Thats the key here the foam core.

M

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
How old are the skis? Did you try calling Salomon or bringing them back to the shop he bought them at. They might stand behind him. Before you go ahead and try and fix them, I'd try Salomon. I know of a few companies that hooked up some people in the past with similar issues.

BeanoNYC

How old are the skis? Did you try calling Salomon or bringing them back to the shop he bought them at. They might stand behind him. Before you go ahead and try and fix them, I'd try Salomon. I know of a few companies that hooked up some people in the past with similar issues.

Too late I epoxied it already. We'll see how it turns out when I take the clamps off this evening.

SKIQUATTRO

i had a tail delam with my atomics, sent em back for $20 bucks shipping and they sent me a brand new pair!!