• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skis stored in actic in Florida for 5 years

deadheadskier

Staff member
Do you think it's possible all of that 120 degree heat and humidity may have damaged them?

Here's the deal. My father paid a visit from Florida in early November for my grandfathers reunion. At the time we talked about skiing, which he 'retired' from when he retired to Florida five years ago. The last year he skied, either 2001 or 2002 he had to have surgery at th beginning of the season and did not end up using his brand new skis for more than about 2 days on the hill.

I'm not sure what they are, but he used to always get top of the line Volkl Slalom race skis. So, this weekend I was skiing Sunday River on Saturday and the trails were pretty much sheets of ice. While my Rossi B2's are okay on this type of surface, I know that Volkl has long had the reputation for the best edge grip on ice - part of the reason he always got them.

So, a light went off in my head and thought, hmmm he should send me these essentially brand new skis. I called him and he wasn't sure what they were, but I'm thinking they were the old P40's. Obviously won't be as good as a 2007 Race Volkl ski, but I think for rock hard days like Saturday they will be a better option than what I typically ride.

Okay, enough rambling. Do you think the skis will be damaged having spent five years in such high heat and humidity conditions?

deadheadskier

Staff member
That's pretty much what I figured. I was just curious if anyone has had any experience with skis warping in such extreme conditions. I bet the attic is at least 120 degrees if not more with 90% humidity year round. I've personally never seen it in 25 years of skiing, but ya never now.

At any right, I'm pretty amped to have some brand new 'old' race Volkl's for the extreme hard pack days. I'd never go out and shell out a grand for new boards designed for that type of skiing as it's not what I'm typically looking for. I'm just excited to expand the quiver and it's not like these are old skinny skis.

wa-loaf

The base is probably dried out a bit and convex. Nothing a couple passes over a stone grinder and some wax won't fix. Just give the base a check with a true bar.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
The base is probably dried out a bit and convex. Nothing a couple passes over a stone grinder and some wax won't fix. Just give the base a check with a true bar.

The bases are made from polyethylene, a thermoplastic with chemical structure and physical properties that don't exhibit significant changes until it reaches its melting point around 150C. Also extremely hydrophobic and not likely to have been affected by the humidity.

Unless there was any of the wood core exposed to the humidty, which shouldn't be if they're nearly brand new skis, there isn't anything exposed on the ski that would be affected by elevated ambient temperatures or humidity. P40's, like most of the P series, were very torsionally rigid and therefore should hold an edge well on hard snow and ice.