• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

'Out For Delivery'

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
My shell size is 28 too (BSL of 325 mm) so I'm somewhere in the upper/middle as far as boot size goes too, I guess. I think Steve's like a street shoe size 14 though so he's probably up in the 30+ shell size area...
Greg, I am a little concerned you know my shoe size. :-o

Greg

Staff member
Even with a slight forward mount, the bump skis definitely have more tail.

Another observation. While it appears that the length ahead of the binding between my Legends and Cabs is similar here:

IMG_4235b.jpg

...the actual surface length of the Legend is a bit less due to the more dramatically turned up tip. Of course the tail also turns up more, perhaps making this moot.

Honestly, I haven't talked with any one else that has skied both points so I can only explain my preference. I down play the preference more now than ever as the more gear issues I read about from varying perspectives, the more I have come to understand there really is no universal preference for most skis... so much depends upon the variables.

Agreed. We've been talking a lot about binding placement today, and as I mentioned [post="208419"]here[/post], it seems like hemming and hawing over a measly 1 cm is a little crazy. After all, like Steve says there are soooo many factors; BSL, skier weight/height, running/surface length, ski stiffness, etc. Probably the biggest factor is the skier. If you can't initiate turns using the front of the ski, your binding placement isn't going to mean much. Still, it's interesting stuff to discuss...

Greg, I am a little concerned you know my shoe size. :-o

:lol: Don't get all creeped out and start heading for the hills just yet. You [post="206646"]posted it[/post] only a few days ago... :)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Agreed. We've been talking a lot about binding placement today, and as I mentioned [post="208419"]here[/post], it seems like hemming and hawing over a measly 1 cm is a little crazy.
Hemming and hawing over 1cm as a generalization is probably a little crazy. But I skied both mounting points on essentially the same ski and noticed a not insignificant difference in performance. Different enough to completely alter the skis performance? No, but different enough that I really preferred and enjoyed one more than the other as it was definitely noticeable. So 1cm on an individual basis is important.

I continue to maintain mounting point needs to become a bigger issue in ski gear world. I would really like to have some education about it actually. I have no idea about specifics, just hunches based on my preferences. I would love to see some top driven education from gear companies and plates similar to the Fischer plate recently posted as an image would be cool too. Ski companies already use two different mount locations for "park" and "freeride" but there is so much grey area in between those two points. Why not educate consumers and ski shops so consumers can make better educated decisions about performance instead of "one size fits all" recommendations.

:lol: Don't get all creeped out and start heading for the hills just yet. You [post="206646"]posted it[/post] only a few days ago... :)
I may just run for the hills regardless ;) but I normally don't have recollection of such minute details from AZ posts a few hours ago let alone days.... :spin::razz:

Greg

Staff member
Hemming and hawing over 1cm as a generalization is probably a little crazy. But I skied both mounting points on essentially the same ski and noticed a not insignificant difference in performance. Different enough to completely alter the skis performance? No, but different enough that I really preferred and enjoyed one more than the other as it was definitely noticeable. So 1cm on an individual basis is important.

I continue to maintain mounting point needs to become a bigger issue in ski gear world. I would really like to have some education about it actually. I have no idea about specifics, just hunches based on my preferences. I would love to see some top driven education from gear companies and plates similar to the Fischer plate recently posted as an image would be cool too. Ski companies already use two different mount locations for "park" and "freeride" but there is so much grey area in between those two points. Why not educate consumers and ski shops so consumers can make better educated decisions about performance instead of "one size fits all" recommendations.

It is interesting. I assume you've seen this page:

http://www.techsupportforskiers.com/binding_placement.htm

I may just run for the hills regardless ;) but I normally don't have recollection of such minute details from AZ posts a few hours ago let alone days.... :spin::razz:

Maybe it was because I started that thread. We should all be heading to the hills, now shouldn't we?

Greg

Staff member
Wow, today has been quite the day for discussing binding placement, eh? :D

Indeed. Now make another post quick. You don't want to sit on 666 too long! ;)

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
666 isn't that bad. You people are sissies!
I'm not going to get into a religious discussion as a) it's as bad as politics as far as causing fights and hurt feelings on a board, and b) that's totally off topic. But suffice it to say, that's merely habit and a slight bit of old superstition for me. Doesn't mean much to me, just habit.

I love reading those three words when you track a package. My Dyna Legend 8000s with Rossi 120 Pro TIs are "out for delivery". Woohoo!

Anyone else have any cool stuff on the way?

I just got some new Smith goggles with Amber lenses from Steep and Cheap dot com for 25 bucks..next up for my goggle quiver is a third pair of goggles with steezy Blue lenses..

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
One last piece of gear for me this season- down parka, Lowe Alpine. This is it cause I ain't got no mo' money. Should arrive today.

Dr Skimeister

Isthmus be my lucky day.....

(That's an old Little Rascal's reference, in case you were wondering....)

Anyway....

I get an email this evening that starts like this:

"You were the lucky winner of last week's drawing for the Atomic Hawx/Nomad Win Big contest!"

I'm about to trash it. I read it again. Legit links to Atomic web site. What the hell, a toll free number to call.

Yep. They're sending me FREE Nomad Crimson's and H110 boots. Might even have them by this weekend.

It pays to enter those "Win These" contests on various websites.

Yeee Haaaa!!!

wa-loaf

Anyway....

"You were the lucky winner of last week's drawing for the Atomic Hawx/Nomad Win Big contest!"

I'm about to trash it. I read it again. Legit links to Atomic web site. What the hell, a toll free number to call.

Yep. They're sending me FREE Nomad Crimson's and H110 boots. Might even have them by this weekend.

Yeee Haaaa!!!

Wow, you lucky bastard those were supposed to my skis! :angry:

Actually I had totally forgotten about the contest.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com

Anyway....

Yeee Haaaa!!!
Congrats! I've won the random lift ticket here and there but nothing that nice!

Mildcat

Congrats on the contest. :beer: Was that the contest they had where you go to their website and watch the video?

Dr Skimeister

Congrats on the contest. :beer: Was that the contest they had where you go to their website and watch the video?

*shrug*

Now that you mention that, it sort of sounds familiar.
I know I was on the Atomic website a lot in October, researching info on Izor 9.7 skis that a local shop had for sale. I did one of those "click here to win" things.