• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Interested in an AlpineZone.com window decal? II

Would you pay $7 for a 14" X 2" AlpineZone.com window decal for your car?

• Total voters

Greg

Staff member
Based onthe feedback in this thread, I'm going to redo this to see if there's more interest:

I'm working with a vinyl lettering/logo provider to get an AlpineZone.com window decal to install on the rear window of my Jeep. Based on the quality of the product, I'm hoping to offer it to forum members and site visitors. The decal will be approximately 14" wide and 2" tall. It will look identical to the logo in the top left corner of the AZ Web site. The only difference is the top portion of the peak icon will be white, as will be the lettering. The bottom portion of the peak icon will be a very similar blue.

The cost for the decal will be about $7 each. I don't plan to make any money on these (I may even lose some), but that's a fair trade-off for the exposure. I'm hoping it will look great on dark tinted window glass, ski/snowboard cargo boxes, etc. I'll post the proof once I get it. I will also post some pics of the final product and the installation process once I receive mine.

Would this interest you? Please participate in this poll and provide any additional feedback in this thread. Thanks!

MtnMagic

21" or 14" is still way too big. You must mean its a bumber sticker. A 3"x3" seems to me to be just the right size. I can see people using this size because it saves space and they can see out their windows. Its about the size of many other stickers. Also it is within the law, no obstructions!

Greg

Staff member
Thanks for the feedback. Let me clarify a few thing based on the comments in this and the original thread:
  1. This is not a bumper sticker. They are custom individual letters/logo that should result in a professional looking installation. There will be no visible seams or sticker border. The characters are pre-positioned on a backing paper.
  2. It doesn't have to be installed as a window decal. However, I, like many of you, am not a big proponent of putting stickers on my car's paint. I don't even let the dealerships put their dealer stickers on new cars when I buy them. I have at times put stickers on my windows though as they are easy to remove. I'm under the impression that this decal is a semi-permanent installation and may be tough to remove from a car's body/bumper. However, removal from a window should take nothing more than a razor blade and a hairdryer.
  3. Regarding the size: Does a decal with 2" high letters really impair visibility? It doesn't seem much bigger than many of those university stickers folks install on their rear windows. Also, remember, they're individual letters so you'll be able to see around the letters and peak icon. I don't expect visibility to be a problem. I think a 2" letter height is really the minimum for it to be legible while travelling.
I'll post pics of this once I install mine so maybe people will have an easier time visualizing how it will look then.

UHK - I've played with a design like you suggested. However, I feel the AZ peak icon is already a bit Sugarloaf-esque as it is. Putting the text below it would really make it look like a rip-off. The design as it is on the Web site simply results in a 14" wide decal when using 2" high letters.

Perhaps there won't be much interest in this, but I'm going to proceed with it anyway. Even if don't get enough interest to meet the minimum for the bulk price, I'll still offer them for $7 to anyone that wants one...

Greg

Staff member
uphillklimber said:
Somehow, I didn't realize it was a clear backing, like the college stickers.
Even a "clear backing" is not a good description. There really is no backing. I'm under the impression it's sixteen individual vinyl decals; thirteen letters, a period, and two graphics to make up the peak icon. They are arranged on a backing paper to allow for easy positioning and installation.

Greg

Staff member
Charlie Schuessler said:
How about you put a sample on your auto, take a picture and post it....
Yes. I plan to.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
I still think it is a little big, though I like that better than the thought of it being a bumper sticker. I am wondering if you could get pressure sensitive stuff that does not affix to the window permenantly. I guess the best way to describe this would be to compare it to the color-forms one might have played with as a kid. I have a couple logos for the car like that.

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
Greg said:
uphillklimber said:
Somehow, I didn't realize it was a clear backing, like the college stickers.
Even a "clear backing" is not a good description. There really is no backing. I'm under the impression it's sixteen individual vinyl decals; thirteen letters, a period, and two graphics to make up the peak icon. They are arranged on a backing paper to allow for easy positioning and installation.
These are very similar to the "lettering" one would see on most commercial vehicles. Not many sign places use paint to letter a truck anymore. It's too slow and too inconsistent. As Greg said, they're individual vinyl letters prearranged on a "wax paper" backing, there's nothing between them. Our company letters all of their pickups this way, right on the paint, and from what I've heard a special buffing pad attached to a random orbit buffer will take these right off without harming the paint finish. (They "de-letter" everything before it's sold or junked.) Removing them from glass will just require some careful scraping with a sharp razor blade. IMHO, it's the most professional looking type of advertisement.

UHK, those university stickers are a great because they're reverse printed and stick to the inside of the windows. They also come off easily with a razor blade. The problem with them is they're all but invisible behind even factory tinted glass, and it's real easy to trap air bubbles under them. The method Greg is looking into is almost foolproof and looks great as long as you take the time to make sure everything is level before you press the adhesive side of the letters down.

Greg, I voted yes but would like to ammend my choice by stating I would buy two 1" high by 7" long decals for 7 or 8 bucks. I'd like to stick two of these on each of the side rear vindows of the PT Cruiser, but the windows are too small for the 14" variety.

Greg

Staff member
smitty77 said:
These are very similar to the "lettering" one would see on most commercial vehicles. Not many sign places use paint to letter a truck anymore. It's too slow and too inconsistent. As Greg said, they're individual vinyl letters prearranged on a "wax paper" backing, there's nothing between them. Our company letters all of their pickups this way, right on the paint, and from what I've heard a special buffing pad attached to a random orbit buffer will take these right off without harming the paint finish. (They "de-letter" everything before it's sold or junked.) Removing them from glass will just require some careful scraping with a sharp razor blade. IMHO, it's the most professional looking type of advertisement.

UHK, those university stickers are a great because they're reverse printed and stick to the inside of the windows. They also come off easily with a razor blade. The problem with them is they're all but invisible behind even factory tinted glass, and it's real easy to trap air bubbles under them. The method Greg is looking into is almost foolproof and looks great as long as you take the time to make sure everything is level before you press the adhesive side of the letters down.

Greg, I voted yes but would like to ammend my choice by stating I would buy two 1" high by 7" long decals for 7 or 8 bucks. I'd like to stick two of these on each of the side rear vindows of the PT Cruiser, but the windows are too small for the 14" variety.
smitty77 described this product almost perfectly. And yes, it will mount on the exterior. The can do a "reverse" cut for mounting on the interior of the window, but they recommend the exterior approach for best readability.

I'll look into whether I can get different sizes done up, including a 1" X 7" version. I suspect I will need to pay the setup charge for each size though, and I'm guessing I need to order multiples of one size to qualify for the bulk pricing...

skijay

It is a good idea, the AZ logo. If you decide on other sizes /types, go with the 6 inch Euro style sticker BUT make it on clear and make it so it mounts on the inside window.

I had a Jay Peak sticker a few cars ago that was inside mounted and clear. It lasted the life of the car (5yrs)

Greg

Staff member
Here's the proof:

az_decal.jpg

That's a pretty good representation of the colors/layout. I'm still working with the vendor to determine available sizes.

Greg

Staff member
Okay, there will be two options as follows:
  • 1" x 6.86" - $5.00
  • 2" x 13.72" - $7.00 (these came in a bit more expensive than this, but I said $7 so it will be $7).
If anyone is interested in ordering either of these, please contact me via PM, or Email at contact@alpinezone.com to discuss payment options which will either be via PayPal or check/money order.

I only ordered a small quantity of each of these and I expect them Friday. If you want to be a part of this first round, please contact me ASAP. I'm going to mail them out first class and I'll pay for the shipping.

I'll install mine over the weekend and post pics of the installation process and the final result. I think they are going to look very cool! 8)

Greg

Staff member
Okay everybody. The decals arrived today and I installed a 2" high version on the rear window of my Jeep. I will be putting together a Web page of installation instructions, but here are a few pics of the final result:

results2.jpg

results3.jpg

I'm very happy with the final result. Installation took some time, but taking the time to do it right was worth it. I'll elaborate more in the installation instructions.

I will say that I don't expect that it will be difficult to remove. It would probably take nothing more than a razor blade and perhaps a weak solvent like rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover. I also don't feel the 2" version impacts my visibility at all. Finally, it reads correctly in the rear view mirror! ;)

All 1" versions from the first order batch have been purchased. I have a couple of 2" versions left. If anyone is interested in either, please PM me, or Email me at contact@alpinezone.com to be included on the next order.

8)

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
That does look really sharp! However, I've already got an AlpineZone sticker on my car so I would be passing on this one anyway.

(ps - yes, I'm alive!)

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
Looks great, Greg!!
I'll PM you with my order for the next batch.

Looks like these types of decals are becoming all the rage. I was in the bookstore at my alma mater the other day and found they are now carrying the same type of external decal. I picked one up for the whopping price of $4.99 for a 4" x 2" logo of the school that charges $32,000 per year to attend. :eek:

What a country! :lol:

Greg

Staff member
As promised, here are some more detailed installation instructions:

http://www.alpinezone.com/decal.htm

I've gotten a few more requests for these, but I'm holding out in order to place one order. If anyone is interested in ordering either of these, please contact me ASAP via PM, or Email at contact@alpinezone.com to discuss payment options which will either be via PayPal or check/money order. I'd like to place the next order in a few weeks, so if you want to be included, please contact me.

Also, if anyone else has pics of their installation, send them on to me and I'll publish them on the installation page. Thanks!

bvibert

Staff member
I'm still trying to figure where I'm going to put mine. When I do I'll definately wake a picture.