• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Monroe & Washington 11-20-2004

Mike P.

Trails: Ammonoosuc Ravine, Monroe Loop (north side only) , Crawford Path, Gulfside, Jewell & Base Road

Conditions: From Gem Pool & up crampons required. One guy I spoke with went up with in-steps & while he made it, he wished he had brought regular crampons. Some of the upper parts have thick ice, no place to go around either

Special Required Equipment: Crampons, I used just my axe on the Monroe cone as it appeared to just be rock & deep hard snow, no post-holing, headlamp too.

Comments: a calm day with temps in the upper 20's. Saw just one guy up to the hut & one guy on Monroe. Left my back at the Hut & brought my axe & a pole + food & water as it was real calm & more snow & rock so no crampons to Monroe. From hut to Washington, I went without crampons but from Davis Path junction & higher easily could have used them, many others did. Gulfside & Jewell have less snow & ice, thanks to the wind so crampons not needed on Saturday. Started at 7:30 & ran out of daylight on this fir lined trail around 4:30 Given a choice of walking on the raod at night or the trail, I pick road so I took the spur of the jewell that ends at the Cog Base Station & is shorter, although the road walk added the same distance.