• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt. Snow -- 12/2/2007

KevinF

Date(s) Skied: Dec 2, 2007

Resort or Ski Area: Mt. Snow, VT

Conditions: groomed manmade, or un-groomed with the snowguns blasting

Trip Report: I spent the day at Mt. Snow. I took one groomer top-to-bottom warm-up run, then headed over to the North Face. Chute trail was entirely groomed out, and was pretty solid. Not icy, but pretty solid hardpack. The only other open North Face trail (I don't remember the names) still had large snowmaking whales all over it. Beautifully soft. I lapped it for three hours. It had gotten pretty bumped up by noon-time from all the skier traffic. They were fairly widely spaced irregular bumps, but hey, it was bumps. :spin: My legs were getting tired, so I did some exploring; there was another low-pitch blue trail that had the snowguns blasting on it. Curiously there was a sign at the top saying "skiing is better on the groomers". :roll: Say what? I wound up lapping that for another hour or two. The trail had some small whales, but was much too wide with way too little traffic to get bumped. Lot of fun though. Then it was back to the bumps on the North Face for another hour, and then back to the snow-gun covered blue cruiser. My legs finally gave out around 3:00ish. It was just starting to snow there when I left, although it had been threatening to all day (very overcast, very flat light).

drjeff

Date(s) Skied: Dec 2, 2007

Resort or Ski Area: Mt. Snow, VT

Conditions: groomed manmade, or un-groomed with the snowguns blasting

Trip Report: I spent the day at Mt. Snow. I took one groomer top-to-bottom warm-up run, then headed over to the North Face. Chute trail was entirely groomed out, and was pretty solid. Not icy, but pretty solid hardpack. The only other open North Face trail (I don't remember the names) still had large snowmaking whales all over it. Beautifully soft. I lapped it for three hours. It had gotten pretty bumped up by noon-time from all the skier traffic. They were fairly widely spaced irregular bumps, but hey, it was bumps. :spin: My legs were getting tired, so I did some exploring; there was another low-pitch blue trail that had the snowguns blasting on it. Curiously there was a sign at the top saying "skiing is better on the groomers". :roll: Say what? I wound up lapping that for another hour or two. The trail had some small whales, but was much too wide with way too little traffic to get bumped. Lot of fun though. Then it was back to the bumps on the North Face for another hour, and then back to the snow-gun covered blue cruiser. My legs finally gave out around 3:00ish. It was just starting to snow there when I left, although it had been threatening to all day (very overcast, very flat light).

Freefall was the Northface run you were lapping and Ridge wasa the Main Face run. Both were sweet yesterday, as was just about the entire mountain! And 15 to 20 degrees without wind felt really warm Sunday after the winds of Saturday!

KevinF

Freefall was the Northface run you were lapping and Ridge wasa the Main Face run. Both were sweet yesterday, as was just about the entire mountain! And 15 to 20 degrees without wind felt really warm Sunday after the winds of Saturday!

Agreed that Sunday felt pretty warm. I was at Okemo on Saturday and I was frozen by the end of the day. It took me quite a while to pry my boots off my feet on Saturday; they came right off (comparatively !) on Sunday.

Too bad we didn't hook up to make some turns... Spur-of-the-moment trip for me.