• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vermont Life magazine excellent article on BURKE

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
don't suppose the article is online?

more recognition the better for burke. having more people ski burke if anything will keep prices down because they will have more cash flow.

BeeBee143

riverc0il said:
don't suppose the article is online?

more recognition the better for burke. having more people ski burke if anything will keep prices down because they will have more cash flow.

Well, you can tell I flunked Economics 101.....!! :oops:

Joshua B

The picture in the on-line article showcases that there are no footrests on the summit chair. That really makes my legs and feet ache after a while. I prefer the poma that goes 3/4 of the way up.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Greg said:
I may just have to suck it up and make the 3 1/2 hour drive to ski Burke this season...

I'd highly recommend it :wink:

Trailboss
unofficial Burke Spokesperson :wink:

thetrailboss

Staff member
I just got done reading the article. I didn't realize that they were ran $900,000 into debt in 1999-2000, the last season of "Northern Star Ltd." :eek:

Now I know why they got run out of town so quickly.

I can remember they were so desperate to get skiers that season...in fact, they ran a whole week where they GAVE AWAY ALL of their profit to a local charity (United Way??) That's right. It was in January 2000 and it only cost $10 for a day ticket. I like charity and all--they raised like $20,000 or something, but it would have been BETTER TRYING TO KEEP THE PLACE OPEN :-?

Anyways, some great shots. :wink:

Masskier

Burke certainly has a fascinating History and a small but very loyal customer base. It was incredible how the local community pull together in the fall of 2000 and sold more than twice the amount of season tickets in such a short time period. Its great having BMA as the owner, they are not just profit driven. They realize how unique and special Burke is and will not turn Burke into an over developed area like most others. Burke has found its nitch and has a very bright future.